Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Runwell

Re: Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

Post by Runwell »

Was online to post on another thread, but while I'm here thought 'what the heck'...

Restrictions have slowly been phased back in. They reinstated a lane closure with varioguard on the link road b/w a fortnight ago. Since then the new bus lane has been closed on the B1464 on and off. 50mph back on the A13 e/b after Pitsea on-slip, daytime off peak lane closures on inner ring of Sadlers Farm roundabout, and A130(N) has had lane 2 closed from Sadlers, shiftng to lane 1 once the link road merges, then a mini contraflow just south of Rayleigh Spur due to lane 3 being shut.
I understand this weekend they are putting in narrow lanes on the A130(S) at least to the immediate south of Rayleigh Spur, with one of three lanes closed as well. Shouldn't cause much disruption though, but 50mph signs definately back in along both carriageways.

At this early stage, looks like they are trying to complete northern end of A130 before Rayleigh Spur, which still required final surfacing and barrier work etc. Not sure whether after this weekend they are starting work to complete the half done (new) lane 1 on the A130(S) or complete the central reservation first(?).
Lots of excavations in the main Sadlers Farm island, and also what appears to be a footpath adjacent to the Canvey exit(?). Also new lighting going in place on B1464 approaching Sadlers, plus work on the new lights etc. Quite a few things going on over the islands at the B1464 and A130 junctions as well. As for the link roads, they are trying to complete bricking up the retaining walls n/b, but this is quite a big job and may take a few weeks.
Most work currently seems to be on Church Road. They are well on the way to completing final realignment to the north of the new bridge (works on new kerbing/footways etc), and are now starting realignment related work immediately to the south side of the bridge to the SW of the A13.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Runwell wrote:I understand this weekend they are putting in narrow lanes on the A130(S) at least to the immediate south of Rayleigh Spur, with one of three lanes closed as well. At this early stage, looks like they are trying to complete northern end of A130 before Rayleigh Spur, which still required final surfacing and barrier work etc. Not sure whether after this weekend they are starting work to complete the half done (new) lane 1 on the A130(S) or complete the central reservation first(?).
To answer my own question, went down the s/b A130 this morning and it seems the dedicated slip bypassing Rayleigh Spur is now closed (presumably full time), with a short set of narrow lanes coming off the Rayleigh Spur roundabout, whilst it seems they look to complete work to connect lane 1 with a realigned slip. The new lane 1 is also coned off now to presumably finish lighting and barrier works along there?

There's another brief set of narrow lanes approaching the link road junction s/b, in order to complete the central reservation and lighting works.

It's the second of six weeks of closures on the A130(N) as they continue to complete overnight surfacing/planing work and work on the central reservation, just before Rayleigh Spur.

Work continues elsewhere on the roads previous described. Looks like additional overnight works at Sadlers Farm roundabout this week to put some of the new lighting and signage in, plus also on the w/b A13.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Maybe it'll all be finished ready for Rio.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

What an utter farce this is, I hope the contractors never, ever get another contract, they should hang their heads in shame for the length of time this has been going on.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

They were dealt with in the drive by shooting at Mcdonalds, organised by Al Pacino and his 'family'.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Thanks for the updates, Runwell.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

I'v been away on holiday ( not just to get away from Saddlers ! ) and I think I have noticed some lane marking changes . Haven't used it enough to know if they are working properly . Obviously something wasnt right before. I also notice some confusion with these new lanes going off the roundabout heading West onto the A13 , with many cars in the 2nd lane (centre) on the roundabout having to cut across the closed area to get into an A13 lane causing some small chaos !
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

They partly burnt off the previous markings overnight the other week, and did indeed change them over to more traditional eliptical markings, as per below...
Attachments
10K02.jpg
10K03.jpg
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Just another update..

Looks like most work is concentrated on trying to finish the A130.
Work is well underway on completing the link to the new lane 1 s/b along the Rayleigh Spur. Land has been cleared and excavated, along there, and they are currently doing preliminary work before work can begin on realigning the bottom end of the Rayleigh Spur road onto the new lane 1. Overnight closures started for three weeks on Tuesday, where they are planing the road surface along the s/b A130 upto the start of the 'completed area' at the realigned layby, before presumably in the third week final surfacing works will be made to the road and the realigned strip. During the day the link road has also been shut plus lane 1 of 2 from Rayleigh Spur roundabout.
Further down, at the link road intersection, work to complete the central reservation also well underway. Most of it appears to be in place now. Old A130 fencing alongside the houses close to Rushbottom Lane has also been pulled up for replacement.
They have also started work from the interchange down to Sadlers Farm, in the small island from the pedestian crossing to the area running alongside the Sadlers Hall bridge (A130(N)), ripping up remains of the old tarmac, earthworks at the side of the structure, and presumably shortly to complete kerbing, barrier and landscaping work.
It seems work n/b from/including North Benfleet Hall layby to Rayleigh Spur is effectively complete. The top end has now been fully resurfaced with most white lining now done. Also looks like work to complete the access to NBH lake is done as they appear to be landscaping and erecting fences alongside the road now. I think they are also starting to lay a loose course surface from beside the layby down to the area of the extended Rushbottom Lane subway for the footway/cycleway, though still finishing works to do at the culvert beside the subway.
Still work yet to get underway on the n/b A130 after Sadlers, to the inside lane, which still needs some final works, done upto the bridge, but once work is done further up the road that will be the next priority.

Elsewhere, lots of work continuing around Sadlers roundabout, mostly on the islands, with more street lighting going up on the islands and around the edges. No idea when final surfacing of the roundabout will be at this stage. Did notice driving tuesday night along the A13 that street lighting is now up and running to the eastern side of Church Road bridge, upto the new junction. Still not lit up elsewhere though, with some lighting still to be installed.
Work continues on bricking up the n/b link road retaining walls. Considering there is a lot to do, they are making good progress, probably about half done now or more. Will still take a while to complete however.
And Church Rd is now fully realigned on the northern side of the new bridge. Kerbing pretty much done, just need to add barriers and fencing, and surface the realigned road and footways. Currently working on creating the bend and realigning the road at the southern end of the bridge, which looks like it will be completed next week. Then I presume they will re-do the footways and kerbing, plus road surface, past the crematorium, down to the realigned section that runs parallel to the A13, and get on with finishing/reopening the subway? Lots of final works going on to the west of the bridge on the emergency access road from Canvey to Pitsea, to the west of Church Road bridge as well.

Still a lot going on, but hopefully by the end of October, most sections currently being worked on will be complete.

I also hear the businesses on the Sadlers Farm business park (some who have also gone out of business) are not likely to receive a penny in compensation for the 2 and a bit months of sheer hell they suffered from March this year, where business totally collapsed.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Another update:

The work to complete the link from the Rayleigh Spur to the new lane 1 on the s/b A130 is pretty much complete, although the new lane itself is still not quite ready to open. Just a little final surfacing, kerbing, barriers and signage work to do along there. Work also to complete the short section of incomplete central reservation just south of Rayleigh Spur is also underway. Looks like for the rest of the A130(S) they just need to complete fencing and crash barrier works which are going on, and possibly add further lighting columns as well. Also a bit of finishing work going on between the link road exit and Sadlers Farm beside the road.
N/b looks like they are doing preliminary works to finish lane 1 and verge/barriers after Sadlers Farm, and complete barrier works etc in lane 2 upto Sadlers Hall Bridge. Doesn't look like much else left to do n/b, although they are now constructing (and nearly finishing) a realigned footway running from the North Benfleet Hall layby upto the narrow footway that briefly runs parallel to the Rayleigh Spur slip leading towards the 2003 section of the A130. Might also now be putting the new footway in from the layby down to Rushbottom Lane subway, though they still have plenty of work to do on the culvert beside the subway.

On the B1464 by the Sadlers roundabout, the priority bus junction (at the end of the new bus lane) with island is now in place beside the junction, just awaiting finishing works etc. Most of work on footways now complete along B1464 plus lighting. Still have to put some of the walls up around the business pass facing the link road cutting.

Link road itself - n/b link now has at least 90% of retaining walls bricked up, so work should finish shortly. Still final barriers and fences to go in at the top of the walls though, although elsewhere lots of final fencing is going in now. Noticed an NSL sign lying on the ground on the n/b link so that is hopefully a good sign. Still only got half the job done with egard to completing the central reservation at the top of the link road, but there's not much left to do.

Work has begun to start clearing the mountains of piles of rubble and spoil, some from the old Church Road bridge, beside the e/b A13. Day by day now they are clearing more of it from the openc land. Some final works are going on w/b off peak to the centre island from Sadlers upto the link road merger, and beside the road along the verges (mostly related to emergency access road from Canvey to Pitsea).

Lastly Church Road work seems to have stopped for the moment, but well on the way to completion. Barring final surfacing, realignment of the road and pavement both sides of the new A13 bridge is complete, just leaving some minor barrier works. Final fencing at the back of the Gun pub is now mostly in place.
Work still needed probably to reconstruct the kerbing and footways further along the road down to the realigned section parallel to the A13. Also need to complete and reopen the Church Road subway, which is set now on Thursday to expire its fifth Public Prohibitation Order!

-------------

Tonight sees work begin for two and a half weeks to complete final surfacing and markings on the Sadlers Farm roundabout. Looks like they are going to start from the Benfleet arm side and go clockwise over the coming days. As they will be shutting the road from Tarpots to Sadlers overnight this week for a couple of days at least, that is bound to cause absolute chaos, particularly when the closure signs on all approaches seem to overlap with or contradict each other, and the press release!
Hopefully by the middle of November when this final surfacing is due to be completed, most other highways works wil also be done, and the final weeks upto the end of January are purely landscaping based.

----

Finally, noticed on GSV the other day some newer images of the junction and approach roads have appeared, including some of the new link road. It appears they were taken during April and May, as the link road appears to have only just been partially opened judging by the image, and the old Church Road bridge stands beside the new one, with cushioning material beside the A13 presumably in preparation for the demolition?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Runwell wrote:Another update:

The work to complete the link from the Rayleigh Spur to the new lane 1 on the s/b A130 is pretty much complete, although the new lane itself is still not quite ready to open. Just a little final surfacing, kerbing, barriers and signage work to do along there. Work also to complete the short section of incomplete central reservation just south of Rayleigh Spur is also underway. Looks like for the rest of the A130(S) they just need to complete fencing and crash barrier works which are going on, and possibly add further lighting columns as well. Also a bit of finishing work going on between the link road exit and Sadlers Farm beside the road.
N/b looks like they are doing preliminary works to finish lane 1 and verge/barriers after Sadlers Farm, and complete barrier works etc in lane 2 upto Sadlers Hall Bridge. Doesn't look like much else left to do n/b, although they are now constructing (and nearly finishing) a realigned footway running from the North Benfleet Hall layby upto the narrow footway that briefly runs parallel to the Rayleigh Spur slip leading towards the 2003 section of the A130. Might also now be putting the new footway in from the layby down to Rushbottom Lane subway, though they still have plenty of work to do on the culvert beside the subway.
Another update!

Pleased to report the link from Rayleigh Spur to the new lane 1 of the s/b A130 is now complete and open! Still looks like there may need to be some final fencing, barriers and signing works done along there, along with lighting and landscaping, but at least (minus the final bit of surfacing overnight at Sadlers Farm over the coming 3 weeks) the final carriageway works appear to be done.

Now the outside lane s/b is fully coned off from Rayleigh Spur to the link road, to complete residual works inside the central reservation, which should be a brief task. Narrow lanes have now completely gone.

N/b lane closure after Sadlers Farm bridge to Rayleigh Spur has gone, although lane 3 is still closed at the top end approaching Rayleigh Spur for final barrier and marking works, which again should not last too long. Also seems they will be completing central reservation at top of n/b link road before the week is out. If they can finish that and the minor work at the top end by the weekend, I don't see (despite work going on land by lay by) any reason not to reinstate NSL at end of link road and after Sadlers Hall bridge. At least we are nearly there it seems.
bobbob

Post by bobbob »

Came home from work tonight knowing that I would get within walking distance of my home and then have to take a tour of Canvey.

Got to Tarpots to turn left into London Road as it's where I live, diversion sign quite clear. I'd been in about 10 minutes when we heard a bang and the sounding of a horn. Wasn't sure if it was a coming together but went out anyway. In the distance was a Sainsbury's lorry and quite a few cars. They obviously hadn't realised the road was closed as Sadlers. We could hear a lot of shouting. Eventually the lorry managed to turn round as did the cars. The speed the cars did to go back along London Road was unbelievable. (Much the same as the daytime traffic come to think of it).

I don't understand why there aren't any "Road Ahead Closed" signs up. Birse sent out letters to the locals but not everyone using this route is a local.

Oh well, just a few more weeks and the new Castle Point GP circuit will be finished :roll:
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Are they still on target to get it all finished in time for the (Rio) Olympics?
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

All I can say is Tarpots is worse than ever. Turning right from west A13 at busy time a nightmare.
Lane changing on roundabout is still a bit dangerous as no-one pays any attention to lane markings.
Oh well , better just get on with it . Just annoying thinking it could have been better.
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

I may be a moaner - I know ! But does any of the regulars through Sadlers feel that Tarpots is now worse than before they started ?
To be honest I never had a problem before with Sadlers or Tarpots but I do now.
When are the lights going up on old A13 exit, does anyone know .
When are the council going to realise the lane markings on the roundabout are not working properly and need a re-think. No one pays any attention to them .

Can't believe its all still going on ......
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

goalhanger wrote:I may be a moaner - I know ! But does any of the regulars through Sadlers feel that Tarpots is now worse than before they started ?
To be honest I never had a problem before with Sadlers or Tarpots but I do now.
When are the lights going up on old A13 exit, does anyone know .
When are the council going to realise the lane markings on the roundabout are not working properly and need a re-think. No one pays any attention to them .

Can't believe its all still going on ......
It now backs up to Pitsea,it is getting worse,the lights stay green for about 8 seconds now.The cones are not helping,Canvey way being clogged is also causing issues.IT IS AN UTTER NIGHTMARE AGAIN AT SADLERS.Tarpots is as bad as ever.The queues in the high road in the morning are going back a mile.The lights are not fazed correctly.The A13 lights at Sadlers need completely refazing back to where they were.This has to be finished soon surely.I don't even know why the cones are still there.
UTTER JOKE OF A PROJECT STILL !!
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

*sigh* What would you like a group of road enthusiasts who post here for fun to do about it?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

I wouldn't expect you to do anything ! Thats not why we're posting . It s good to know if anyone knows the reasons stuff is being done or when it will be finished. Also good sometimes to know someone else agrees with you.
Not being a 'roadie' I must say I can't understand why some things were done and why some things are being done now . As an example the lane markings don't seem to make sense to me but I am quite open to hear more experienced viewpoints .
It is also interesting that after 68mil. its as bad as ever :-(
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Okay, I'll moan about everything in my life in capital letters that I can't fix. I want bankers salary to be cut and capped, I want George Osborne to be laid off and go to the job centre. Actually I won't carry on, because it will annoy everyone.

I find that if you say something's an UTTER JOKE people don't think you have a valid point and ignore you. Not worth doing.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

And a happy good morning to everyone!
Saddlers:
They have moved the cones this morning on the roundabout which made a lot of difference . Hope fully will be the same this evening . Not the nicest of weather to be working in though.
Tarpots:
The lanes from West leading up to it might be better having inside lane to go forwards and left , only splitting at the end. Then the right hand lane would be only turn right. Also could do with some checking of the lights sequence to see if it can be improved in the evenings. Not sure about the mornings as I miss the worst of it .
Not sure about the siting of the crossing on the road going into South Benfleet as the cars can back up onto the lights and stop traffic moving when the lights are green - I would have though it would be better further up the road slightly .