Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jamesabout29

Re: Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

Post by Jamesabout29 »

What they up to now? Be going that way tomorrow so I'll get another look at an empty lane with a line of cones along the edge. Heading down the A130, I noticed in the 50 zone an uncovered NSL sign which made the speed limit 70 for about 100 yards for another unnecessary 50 sign. When they're doing :censored: all, I reckon they just try to annoy us, there's nothing even todo now. Sadlers rant over!
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
echowarning

Post by echowarning »

Jamesabout29 wrote:What they up to now? Be going that way tomorrow so I'll get another look at an empty lane with a line of cones along the edge. Heading down the A130, I noticed in the 50 zone an uncovered NSL sign which made the speed limit 70 for about 100 yards for another unnecessary 50 sign. When they're doing :censored: all, I reckon they just try to annoy us, there's nothing even todo now. Sadlers rant over!
Have to admit, the 50 limits are bloody annoying now those power folks have done their thing. Bloody shambles really - I went through A130S-A13W last night at 55mph but everyone else was tanking it... and you can see why from the photos. Daft.
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

Hello everybody. Its been awhile ...
Has anybody any idea why the A130 and Old A13 have been closed recently in the evenings ? There dont seem to be any signs at all and , especially coming south you dont know till you are at the slip/roundabout that the A130 is closed and you have to the go back to Rayleigh Weir or stupidly like me go to Pound Lane only tofind the old A13 is closed to Sadlers and you and up at Pitsea !!!
I did try emailing Nat Grid but no responce. Nothing on Council web site either .
Ta,
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

goalhanger wrote:Hello everybody. Its been awhile ...
Has anybody any idea why the A130 and Old A13 have been closed recently in the evenings ? There dont seem to be any signs at all and , especially coming south you dont know till you are at the slip/roundabout that the A130 is closed and you have to the go back to Rayleigh Weir or stupidly like me go to Pound Lane only tofind the old A13 is closed to Sadlers and you and up at Pitsea !!!
I did try emailing Nat Grid but no responce. Nothing on Council web site either .
Ta,
I got caught the other night when the closed the A13 between Pitsea and Sadlers.There always seems to be lane closures westbound at A13 just past Sadlers where the link road merges.They appear to have put a filter lane in.This almost 18 months after the project was meant to be completed.It does worry me as lanes/road sections are all closed quite often.I wonder whether it was so far behind,they rushed to finish it and are having to repair or maintain bits periodically.
I don't even no who the contractors are now.I will look on the Essex county council website also.
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

Just got this back from Nat Grid:
Thanks for getting in touch. The National Grid work on the overhead line has now finished until June 2014 and the road closures on the A130 and at Saddlers Farm would have been undertaken by Essex County Council.
You can contact Essex County Council's Highways team on 0845 603 7631 or by email to contact@essex.gov.uk.
National Grid will provide updates on future road closures in the new year on our webpage: http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/In-your ... uth-Essex/.

So maybe the closures on the A130 have stopped for a while.
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

goalhanger wrote:Just got this back from Nat Grid:
Thanks for getting in touch. The National Grid work on the overhead line has now finished until June 2014 and the road closures on the A130 and at Saddlers Farm would have been undertaken by Essex County Council.
You can contact Essex County Council's Highways team on 0845 603 7631 or by email to contact@essex.gov.uk.
National Grid will provide updates on future road closures in the new year on our webpage: http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/In-your ... uth-Essex/.

So maybe the closures on the A130 have stopped for a while.
Well that's good! My dad got caught out the other night, since he didn't know the A130 was closed until he was virtually on the (closed) link from the A1245. There were no signs. Joke.

Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Can't comment about the overnight closures as I wasn't aware of any or come across them. Presume it was ECC/Birse.
echowarning wrote: Have to admit, the 50 limits are bloody annoying now those power folks have done their thing. Bloody shambles really - I went through A130S-A13W last night at 55mph but everyone else was tanking it... and you can see why from the photos. Daft.
Yes quite dangerous, especially from Pitsea flyover to the link road, where people are doing 30-40mph more than you, as you attempt to filter. The limits were due to ECC though, not the power firms. They finished in mid-September, and some of the speed restricted areas were not in places where the NG work was being carried out/outside the buffer zone.

Quite frustrating as well, as there was not even a single cone through any of the 50mph signs last Tuesday, nor a single workman around lunchtime.

Thankfully, I went through on Friday afternoon, and all speed restrictions across the whole A13/A130/link road area have now gone.
There are still permanent 50mph signs with repeaters on the A13 from the start of the split to the top of the new bridge down to Sadlers Farm. Last I heard these were on a temporary order, with the NSL sign on the approach to the bridge swung 90degrees. Have to check at some point to see if that sign is still there, but I think due to the traffic queuing over the brow of the bridge down to the lights, that will become permanent - especially with the roundabout signed at 30.

In the last couple of weeks, they have finally completed the permanent kerbing and realignment of footway along the B1464 past the works HQ. They seem to now be ripping up most of the remaining hard standing (that hasn't already been 'restored' to field), and it looked like just one Birse portacabin was remaining last Friday, shoved into a corner. The short remaining section of the temporary B1464 realignment has now been planed, and some of the kerbing removed, ahead of it being restored to its previous condition as well. They may actually finish before the Rio Olympics now!

And finally, to underline the complete braindead-ness of the local motorist, in just three minutes waiting at the roundabout coming from the B1464, I counted a handful of motorists who didn't have a clue about the bus priority lights just prior to the roundabout.
There was the obvious and common case of lazy BMW drivers etc zooming along most of the short length of the bus lane, and straight onto the A130.
The more bewildering case though was of other people also using the bus lane, but stopping at the lights (red at the time for the bus lane), when for other vehicles it was green! Absolutely astonishing.
And there have been a few accidents by the new through-road to Canvey, where motorists seems to be oblivious to the 'Ahead Only' signs marked on the road, and turn left to go the wrong way around the roundabout at the second set of lights! I despair.
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

Who else is getting a little frustrated at the lights sequence coming out of the B1464 (old A13) ?
There's going to be an accident there soon as its impossible to get out without barging into the traffic, and with cars going round and up the A130 at speed its a frustrating mess.
Also the first turning on the right , Romsey Road is a little accident waiting to happen people are often still building up a speed as someone indicates (late) to turn into it , then everyone is trying to pull left to get round .
When I listen to myself I think I need to start getting the bus. :scratchchin:
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

goalhanger wrote:.
I would. The 28 and 22 are very frequent :wink:

Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Jamesabout29 wrote:
goalhanger wrote:.
I would. The 28 and 22 are very frequent :wink:
I've been the entire length of the A13 (or its historic route) by bus :)
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

goalhanger wrote:Who else is getting a little frustrated at the lights sequence coming out of the B1464 (old A13) ?
There's going to be an accident there soon as its impossible to get out without barging into the traffic, and with cars going round and up the A130 at speed its a frustrating mess.
Also the first turning on the right , Romsey Road is a little accident waiting to happen people are often still building up a speed as someone indicates (late) to turn into it , then everyone is trying to pull left to get round .
I am getting increasingly frustrated about the whole project.It backed up past pitsea last night,all the light sequences seem messed up.What really annoys me is there is not more than half a dozen car queue on the A130 south onto sadlers whislt the old and new A13 back up for now getting on for a mile.Surely they need to phase the last set of lights between sadlers on tarpots entry to green for far longer to alleviate this problem.Yes it will mean longer queues from the A130,but this cannot continue in this light.The old A13 filter system seems utterly crazy with people just piling on.Also there is the issue of people blocking exits when coming round from the right of sadlers round to A130 passed A13,eg even though the lights are greed you cannot exit from the A13 onto saldlers as its blocked.
I think ECC highways need to come down and have a proper look at this.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

michaelbri, could you, just for a laugh, tell me what you like about roads? You know, like say in your neck of the woods going on a spin from Maldon to Mersea Island, then along the old A604 along the Stour Estuary to Dovercourt.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

Ritchie333 wrote:michaelbri, could you, just for a laugh, tell me what you like about roads? You know, like say in your neck of the woods going on a spin from Maldon to Mersea Island, then along the old A604 along the Stour Estuary to Dovercourt.
unfortunately,with Essex County Council there if very little like about our local roads.I do like the A130 to Chelmsford and further north toward Braintree and Stanstead.I love driving along embankment in London also funnily enough.

You really do have to see to believe in all seriousness the total mess that has been made of this project though.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

I have driven through Sadlers Farm several times since the improvements. It now makes a viable alternative to the busy A12 between Chelmsford and the Dartford Crossing via Brentwood, a nice fast road free of traffic. A good project.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

Ritchie333 wrote:I have driven through Sadlers Farm several times since the improvements. It now makes a viable alternative to the busy A12 between Chelmsford and the Dartford Crossing via Brentwood, a nice fast road free of traffic. A good project.
it is if you don't live in Benfleet or Canvey,which around 75 percent of the people who use it do and also paid for it.
Typical ECC though,only being interested in those in the A12/A127 corridors,bearing in mind those who decided on the scheme represented seats in those boroughs.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Typical ECC spending money on something that benefits 75% of people.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

Johnathan404 wrote:Typical ECC spending money on something that benefits 75% of people.
er benefits 25 percent and that is being generous,the 75 percent refers to those it appears not to,eg those locally
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

I am finding that lane squiggle from Pitsea direction onto roundabout to go into Benfleet is not getting any better. I think some said they needed to get used to it, but not yet... I had a woman yesterday pulled across directly infront of me then as soon as we moved she shunted across to the other lane nearly taking some one else out. When I hooted the young lad in passenger seat went ballistic whilst the driver maintained the steady look-ahead gaze. I dont know how half the people on the roads passed their tests.
Talking of nice roads- whenever I go down to Cornwall or Somerset it is heaven . Very few people can be bothered to fight for that last inch like they do in Essex , so its all pretty civilised. Very rarely get the van up your bum down there, but you do get stuck behind the odd tractor or bus - but thats life.
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

goalhanger wrote:I am finding that lane squiggle from Pitsea direction onto roundabout to go into Benfleet is not getting any better. I think some said they needed to get used to it, but not yet... I had a woman yesterday pulled across directly infront of me then as soon as we moved she shunted across to the other lane nearly taking some one else out. When I hooted the young lad in passenger seat went ballistic whilst the driver maintained the steady look-ahead gaze. I dont know how half the people on the roads passed their tests.
Talking of nice roads- whenever I go down to Cornwall or Somerset it is heaven . Very few people can be bothered to fight for that last inch like they do in Essex , so its all pretty civilised. Very rarely get the van up your bum down there, but you do get stuck behind the odd tractor or bus - but thats life.
this was not part of the original design,however that design left two lanes to filter for canvey way and one to Benfleet,that was quickly realized that due to traffic volumes ,this was not a sensible option.(plan to fail comes to mind ) so it was fudged or curly wurly if you prefer.A similar thing is near tarpots as the did not realize there was a great big cable under the road by the furniture store,until they came to dig it up,rather than wait for it to be moved,they re-routed round it,delaying the project by about 3 months,would have been longer to dig up the cable.
You really could not make it up ,some of the stuff that the project manager from Birse (who told me about all this) was coming out with.It is documented in the earlier pages,when it was at it's building worst.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Ritchie333 wrote:I have driven through Sadlers Farm several times since the improvements. It now makes a viable alternative to the busy A12 between Chelmsford and the Dartford Crossing via Brentwood, a nice fast road free of traffic. A good project.
Not just a viable alternative, it's the only way to go. That includes heading for Central London as well. On one occasion it took me longer just to exit the A12 onto the Brentwood roundabout at M25 J28 than it did the next trip to drive the whole section from Chelmsford to Dagenham.