Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AdamB1197

Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

Post by AdamB1197 »

I don't know when this £63 million scheme was announced formally, but will all the initial proposals actually go ahead?

People who live next to the A13 between Sadlers Farm and Pitsea have already given in to losing certain parts of their property when the road is widened to dual 4 lanes.

As for the A130 to dual 3 between the A13 and Rayleigh Weir, I find it ironic, despite the congestion, that this is proposed when you have those wonderful hard shoulders all the way up to the A12 at Howe Green that may never be brought into significant use.

Whatever happens and whenever, I really hope this doesn't end in tears.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Re: Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

AdamB1197:

This is my fantasy scheme to link the A127 to the A13 dual carriageway.
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/d ... &pos=-5226

Is the Pitsea section really going to be D4? Well there's plenty of central reservation available!

http://sunilprasannan612.fotopic.net/p19672476.html
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Well this project survived the new Government axe and I believe work starts next week.

Most work will be concentrated on the A13 between Pitsea and Sadlers, with work on removing the magic roundabouts only starting in the final months of the project.

Whilst I'm sure this will help the junction, it certainly won't cure it. There are two issues: first there is still no dualling of Canvey Way from the Island to Sadlers. This is needed (either that or a third road off Canvey).
The other is the A13 towards Benfleet, which no sooner has eastbound traffic negotiated Sadlers, we have the awful short two lane stretch with the narrowest lanes imaginable, then 1/2 mile on the Tarpots junction which is bad enough already with double mini roundabouts, but will be even worse when they stick traffic lights in there, so it will all back up again.

One final thought, without trying to sound pedantic: The A130 doesn't cross Rayleigh Weir - that is the next junction after the 'A130' on the Southend bound A127. Where the A130 meets the A127 is the Rayleigh spur, and just before that we have the newish junction where the new A130 bypass veers off a roundabout with ring roads. I'm not aware personally that the whole of the A130 is being widened up to that junction - northbound should be doable, but southbound would be tricky especially on the approach to Sadlers.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Runwell wrote:Most work will be concentrated on the A13 between Pitsea and Sadlers, with work on removing the magic roundabouts only starting in the final months of the project.
I assumed the roundabouts would stay much as they are, just without the A13(W)<>A130(N) through traffic clogging them up. The improvement is essentially an offline bypass to the west and, as such, should be relatively easy to build.

Will these improvements result in a new bottleneck at the next roundabout north on the A130 and link via the A1245 to the A127? Perhaps what's needed is a for the A13(W) from London to free-flow onto the A127(E) into Southend? The A127 east of the A1245(A130) junction could then be renumbered as part of the A13.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Nope all the mini roundabouts will go. There will also be a dedicated slip from the A13(W) onto Canvey Way, though I can't see that making a difference to that route. By the time they work on the roundabout, the new slips to the A130(N) will be open so that should at least mitigate the situation.

Traffic should be ok heading north on the A130 (most queues on that stretch are using heading south towards Sadlers). It's three lanes from the new A130 roundabout (a ring road leads from the ending new A130 into the renamed A1245 to create a third lane up to the A127, and also acts as a dedicated left turn to the A127(W). Actually there may be four lanes on that stretch, can't remember.
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

You can look at the plans here (beware it is quite a large file). Essex CC have a web page devoted to it, although it hasn't been updated for a while.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I am right in saying this project survived the budget cuts because it is a county project rather than central government?

Also has Essex got access to a large pool of cash? Most county projects are usually at-grade because of the cost yet Essex has built some amazing quality roads over the last decade including the motorway standard A130.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

The A130 was a DFBO scheme so the council hasn't directly paid for it yet, I think it is a 30 year contract. The cash for Sadlers Farm has come mainly from the DoT, Essex is only putting in £5m. It has more than a little to do with the fact that the Olympic mountain biking event in 2012 will be held at Hadleigh Farm that these works are going ahead and the plans are so grandiose.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Pity we'll lose the double "jet lane" in this upgrade
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

AdamB1197 wrote:As for the A130 to dual 3 between the A13 and Rayleigh Weir, I find it ironic, despite the congestion, that this is proposed when you have those wonderful hard shoulders all the way up to the A12 at Howe Green that may never be brought into significant use.
Is there a reason why they built the northern section with hard shoulders?
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
AdamB1197

Post by AdamB1197 »

Roadtripper_Ian wrote:
AdamB1197 wrote:As for the A130 to dual 3 between the A13 and Rayleigh Weir, I find it ironic, despite the congestion, that this is proposed when you have those wonderful hard shoulders all the way up to the A12 at Howe Green that may never be brought into significant use.
Don't have a clue, but someone somewhere will know - perhaps Sunil of Yoxley?
Is a "secret motorway" status actually official, or is it just refered to like that by enthusiasts because of the hard shoulders and pedestrian bans?
AdamB1197

Post by AdamB1197 »

On the topic of Essex, why does the A1114 (Chelmsford) need to be signposted from as far South as Basildon?
Sunil_of_Yoxley

AdamB1197 wrote:
Roadtripper_Ian wrote:
Don't have a clue, but someone somewhere will know - perhaps Sunil of Yoxley?
Is a "secret motorway" status actually official, or is it just refered to like that by enthusiasts because of the hard shoulders and pedestrian bans?
I have no idea, sorry - maybe there is or was a plan for an "outer orbital" route, and only the A130 got built?
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

The "hard shoulder" is just provision for future widening, which was provided on the northern section only because the traffic flows were higher on that section. As far as the "secret motorway" goes as I understand it that is when a road has statutory instruments to designate it as a motorway but is not signed as such, for example the A55 in North Wales. The A130 does not have restrictions such as this governing its use, although it does restrict the passage of slow moving vehicles and horses. This is simply because of the fast nature of the road and is done on safety grounds, you can read the regulations here. There is currently no evidence to suggest that this scheme is part of a larger plan or outer orbital.
kieron

Post by kieron »

MrEd wrote:you can read the regulations here.
I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but that document appears to end after the RECOMMENDATIONS section. This copy includes the appendices (i.e. the bits which give their reasons for banning things). The notice does state that the ban on agricultural vehicles was dropped following objections. Obviously the NFU have more influence than Ways Thru Essex.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Going up the A130 yesterday towards Chelmsford near the A12 junction, I saw everyone in front of turning into the right hand lane up the hill and braking sharpish. My curiosity was confirmed when I saw a tractor going along. No idea why they need to use this road as there are several road bridges purely for farms/farm traffic?

-----

Work has FINALLY begun this week on the Sadlers project. It seems for the moment all work is going on at a site just off the main junction on the B1464 (old A13)at Bowers Gifford, in the half mile stretch to the west of the existing Sadler's junction. Lots of the 'red and white goalposts' up already. Shouldn't be much disruption for A13/A130 traffic, but even the speed limit of 50 for the works hasn't yet been implemented.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Signs now up at the end of the new A130 (just south of the A127) saying work starts this coming weekend until Spring 2012.

I assume this will mean the widening work to the A130 n/bound and more? Probably just 50mph, maybe narrow lanes? No signs on the A13 yet for the works that will have to be done between Pitsea and Sadlers Farm. All work currently going on is at the site off the B1464, half a mile from Sadlers Farm. No sign of any activity yet towards the A130 across the open land (between the A130 and B1464) as I've been driving past the A130, but I guess that's only the case for a few more days.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

It's been three years since I've been along the Pitsea to Sadler's Farm, I'll have to check it out soon!
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

The magic roundabouts won't be going any time soon, not until late 2011. However from the weekend it sounds like we'll start to see the landscape alongside the approaches to Sadlers Farm remodelled.

Signs are now up on the A13 from just past Five Bells (A176) eastbound, so get ready I expect for 50mph/narrow lanes on the A13/A130 for a long time.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Over the past week work has begun on the A13, well, at least when I was travelling on the bit between Pitsea and Sadlers last saturday. Narrow lanes, 50 limit with cameras (though none were seen). Not sure if restrictions were also westbound but they were definately eastbound. No sign of workmen, nor whether the restrictions are full time (I think they are, but Trafficlink travel messages seem to say otherwise) is uncertain. No restrictions yet on the A130, but a couple of overnight closures have already affected the A13.