Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Sunil_of_Yoxley

Re: Sadlers Farm, A13 and A130

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

If only they get rid of that rickety old S4 flyover at Lodge Avenue, Barking. And the traffic lights at Renwick Road. And Canary Wharf on the A1261.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
goalhanger

Post by goalhanger »

Now the A13/Sadlers is running 'as well as can be expected with the current traffic flow' we will have to look further afield for our 'regular' moan which pleases everyone so much on here ;-)
I suggest the small 'ex' roundabout in Laindon on the A127 .....or has that already been covered ?
Seriously though it is definately better now at Sadlers . Just the shear volume of traffic that can cause issues sometimes.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Looks like the last of the contractors left the works site just before Xmas. All portacabins and personnel have left the B1464 operations HQ. Finally! Hopefully they or the landowner will come back soon to tidy it up, and return it to arable.

Anyway, won't go through things (again..), but on this point:
michaelbri wrote:
I am getting increasingly frustrated about the whole project.It backed up past pitsea last night,all the light sequences seem messed up
That was due to an accident blocking the A13 at Kents Hill Road in Benfleet.
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

Runwell wrote:Looks like the last of the contractors left the works site just before Xmas. All portacabins and personnel have left the B1464 operations HQ. Finally! Hopefully they or the landowner will come back soon to tidy it up, and return it to arable.

Anyway, won't go through things (again..), but on this point:
michaelbri wrote:
I am getting increasingly frustrated about the whole project.It backed up past pitsea last night,all the light sequences seem messed up
That was due to an accident blocking the A13 at Kents Hill Road in Benfleet.
Oh, that'll explain all the sirens I heard then.
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
tronprogram

Post by tronprogram »

Does anyone know where to complain to about the layout of the roundabout, which has become worse since the work was done?

My dad almost had a very nasty accident there today due to how it is now and caught the whole thing on his car camera.

Thanks,
michaelbri

Post by michaelbri »

tronprogram wrote:Does anyone know where to complain to about the layout of the roundabout, which has become worse since the work was done?

My dad almost had a very nasty accident there today due to how it is now and caught the whole thing on his car camera.

Thanks,
Essex County Council,it is a dog's breakfast as it doesn't resemble the original plans ,as it had to be "tweaked" due to bad planning.
What I can say is a contacted Essex CC a month ago,due to the constant delays and yep I got a reply.To the effect they agreed,there were"issues" with projected volumes.eg people using A13 and then London road (tarpots) rather than use the A127,which by all accounts is turning into an utter car park. They had it appears already been looking at what to do and there has been substantial improvements,due to light phasing changes,better traffic management etc.They are also going to improve the fairglen junction on the A127 to try move traffic back to A127.The lady said though the danger is though as Sadlers improves more people will use it,until the A127 is sorted out.
The further expansion plans of Castle Point is to include a further road off canvey way to the west of Benfleet to accomadate proposed 800 new homes.This would take a lot traffic away.
however this is IMO likely to be pie in the sky for now.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Unbelievable. Sadlers Farm crumbling already. Twelve months of work to start next month. :evil: https://www.essex.gov.uk/News/Pages/Bal ... tober.aspx
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

Joke, isn't it? Clearly, despite the years of hell, it wasn't done properly in the first place.
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/202477 ... -francois/

This really is a farcical situation that has been allowed to go on for too long by Balfour Beatty and Essex County Council. The lane closure through the link road to replace the bearings on the first and last of the three bridges through the junction has been going on for nearly a year now, as part of the last phase of the remedial works that have been going on for over five years now. This final work was due to be complete in November last year, but the deadline has been put back three or four times now. Yet, I've been through here during the daytime as well as at night, and I have hardly ever seen any work going on here. There's been scaffolding erected across the walls of both bridges during that time, and some chipboard covering some of the bridge, yet, especially in recent months, nothing seems to have happened, with materials by the scaffolding untouched. All the while, the lane closure causes delays most evenings on the A13. I had hopes things were nearing a resolution at the end of May, when the Sadlers Farm works compound off London Road, finally saw the last of the portacabins removed, after being in virtually constant use since the site was put down prior to the main works starting in 2010. However, that appears to have been a red herring. Balfour Beatty are doing these works at no cost to the taxpayer, but on the flip side, they appear to be doing them on their terms, with no pressure to finish them, probably because it's a scheme that's costing them, with nothing in return. Both Essex Highways and Balfour refuse to respond to requests about the progress of this scheme. A real mess.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Runwell wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 13:49 https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/202477 ... -francois/
However, that appears to have been a red herring. Balfour Beatty are doing these works at no cost to the taxpayer, but on the flip side, they appear to be doing them on their terms, with no pressure to finish them, probably because it's a scheme that's costing them, with nothing in return. Both Essex Highways and Balfour refuse to respond to requests about the progress of this scheme. A real mess.
I think part of the problem is the faults were discovered 3 years after work completed and therefore outside the maintenance period. I presume Balfour only use staff which they have spare and if there is an issue on a construction site which they are getting paid on that takes preference.

You would have thought that ECC would have agreed a maximum time for the works so this did not occur, but experience in ECC is very thin on the ground.

When you have highway officers who think a 1/20 taper means a taper 120 metres long, you know you have issues
The M25 - The road to nowhere
ryanjtm

Post by ryanjtm »

I pass through this junction on my daily commute, I have not seen any work take place in many months. It seems the only work being done is the occasional sign change to a new deadline, yesterday they changed the "Roadworks until JUN 22" to "Oct 2022".
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Balfour are also now saying: 'by the end of the year', although the actual year of completion at the end is missing....

Not sure assuring the public the work is not costing them any more tax is a line that will appease motorists any longer, especially those heading eastbound on the A13 during the evening peak.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Runwell wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 22:47Balfour are also now saying: 'by the end of the year', although the actual year of completion at the end is missing...
Have they actually specified which year? :?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

No, but it might now be 2022 after all!

Went through on Saturday night, and noticed they were jacking one of the two bridges, with an overnight closure on the A13 overbridge down to Sadlers Farm roundabout. Further research after getting home suggests this has been going on since Thursday night, with several more overnight closures lined up over the next few weeks.

Until earlier this month, all I had seen happen in the works site was a JCB had been moved to the works on the other carriageway. All materials left in the works area remained untouched. Let's hope now they are going to start pushing this on towards completion now, although with a major reconstruction job planned for the Pitsea to Five Bells stretch at some point within the next year, any joy will be short lived.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Those overnight core testing works don't seem to have been the catalyst for the project to move forward. It doesn't look like, much, if anything, has happened since.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/230169 ... eted-year/

Would like to know what these additional works are that BB are saying ECC have instructed them to do, especially when no work seems to be actually happening?!

All the time, ECC are spending more and more money regularly patching up the section West of Pitsea, which is becoming really horrible to drive on. This arrangement with BB is probably now costing taxpayers' money after all, just in an indirect way.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Looks like the lane closures will be removed shortly...but not for long!

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/231330 ... oved-soon/
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

The lane closures and speed limits were indeed removed a few days later, with some scaffolding on the bridges left in place behind the barriers.

As expected, the works are back in from this weekend. Eight weeks of lane closures return to the link road, plus some overnight and weekend closures. Hopefully, this time, it will be done, and that, after thirteen years of near continuous restrictions, this will be it.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

At last! Well, two months later than the most recent billing, and with another caveat as mentioned:

https://twitter.com/BBCEssex/status/166 ... Cyl6g&s=19
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

What a shambles. If this was in London there'd be MPs bringing it up in Parliament (looking at you, Hammersmith Bridge).

I came into the industry after this scheme was originally completed but particularly in recent years met those who had worked on it & heard some of the issues. Makes for an interesting case study. This also must be some kind of record for longest works on a single project, as you can't really call it completed when remedials have had to be done nearly immediately.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

darkcape wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 23:27 What a shambles. If this was in London there'd be MPs bringing it up in Parliament (looking at you, Hammersmith Bridge).

I came into the industry after this scheme was originally completed but particularly in recent years met those who had worked on it & heard some of the issues. Makes for an interesting case study. This also must be some kind of record for longest works on a single project, as you can't really call it completed when remedials have had to be done nearly immediately.
I've had some minor involvement due to the way the original design entity was taken over and later sold on with some liabilities retained and also discussions with former colleagues on the team some 6 - 7 years ago.
This is the MacLeamy curve in action - an object lesson in an immature organisation changing things that have already been set (red line, planning permission, extent of pavement reconstruction etc) in pursuit of "value engineering savings" and the relevant organisation not recognising the "knock-on" effect of that change and so coming a cropper and laying themselves open to PI claims. Coupled with Essex CC having someone on the hook and determined to keep playing them until all issues were sorted.