Ominous sounding roads.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Ominous sounding roads.

Post by Owain »

When I was at university I knew a girl whose home address was 'Slag Lane' in Wigan. She wasn't one, but unfortunately the comedy address is about the only thing I can remember about her.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
scragend

Post by scragend »

Owain wrote:When I was at university I knew a girl whose home address was 'Slag Lane' in Wigan. She wasn't one, but unfortunately the comedy address is about the only thing I can remember about her.
:evil:

Slag Lane is in Leigh!!!
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

FosseWay wrote:
Octaviadriver wrote:
FosseWay wrote:My ancestors lived in Chlorine Gardens, Belfast.
I notice that the next street along is Cloreen Park that appears to be a small business park. Did they change the spelling but keep the same phonetics so as not to put people off going there?
Quite possibly. Spelling it like that implies an Irish origin to the name, but I think the chemical element is a more likely derivation. The whole area along the Lagan valley to Lisburn was big in the linen trade for centuries (indeed, this is what my ancestors did) and chlorine is an essential ingredient in the bleaching process.
Cloreen Park is in fact the back way into the Ashby building at QUB, rather than a business park.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

scragend wrote:
Owain wrote:When I was at university I knew a girl whose home address was 'Slag Lane' in Wigan. She wasn't one, but unfortunately the comedy address is about the only thing I can remember about her.
:evil:

Slag Lane is in Leigh!!!
Glad you got in there first! :twisted: It's actually split between Leigh and Lowton, as it crosses the boundary - which puts a lot of it in a Warrington post code! To me, the Wigan/Leigh thing is like starting a counties debate.... and I ain't going there! :laugh:
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

You should probably be careful about who you travel with down Vengeance Street on Walney Island - one of the many streets on Walney named after locally built ships: other good names are 'Powerful Street', 'Dominian Street' and 'Mikasa Street'.
ARL

Post by ARL »

I don't know whether it's ominous, or rude, or frankly what it is...but there is a street in Tring called simply "Bunstrux".
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

In retrospect, Savile Row doesn't sound great.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
solocle

Post by solocle »

ED2D45E2-2647-4B34-A4D2-E886B7FBE058.jpeg
IAN

Post by IAN »

I don't think that 'World's End Lane' in Quinton, Birmingham, has been mentioned.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4604333 ... 384!8i8192
AKA M5 Driver
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2010 19:41 You can bet a few bob on a lot of streets now called Grape Lane, were once Grope Lane - one in York comes to mind.
Old post, but streets named either Grope Lane or Gropec**t Lane were common features of English towns and cities in the late Middle Ages, with such names almost certainly alluding to the prostitution that was centred in those areas (13th-15th century streets commonly bore names that reflected their most profitable economic activity). All such streets were renamed by 1600.

My sister was educated in Durham City and apparently, her school rule book specifically prohibited students from going to Grape Lane. With that school being a late Medieval establishment, I suspect the rationale may well be residual stigma from a prior name and the trade to which it referred.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Osthagen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 08:58
ravenbluemoon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2010 19:41 You can bet a few bob on a lot of streets now called Grape Lane, were once Grope Lane - one in York comes to mind.
Old post, but streets named either Grope Lane or Gropec**t Lane were common features of English towns and cities in the late Middle Ages, with such names almost certainly alluding to the prostitution that was centred in those areas (13th-15th century streets commonly bore names that reflected their most profitable economic activity). All such streets were renamed by 1600.

My sister was educated in Durham City and apparently, her school rule book specifically prohibited students from going to Grape Lane. With that school being a late Medieval establishment, I suspect the rationale may well be residual stigma from a prior name and the trade to which it referred.
Grape Lane in Durham was at one time notorious slum and even today its not exactly luxurious with the majority of dwellings being small (40 square metre) 1 bedroom flats. Its rather popular with students I believe.

As it was in 1900

http://dccimages.durham.gov.uk/dre/s/03486.jpg
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

IAN wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 08:35 I don't think that 'World's End Lane' in Quinton, Birmingham, has been mentioned.

Must be a Birmingham trait - a friend used to live in Worlds End Road in Handsworth.
https://goo.gl/maps/UR5NWAYhgiQ1Y2HN8
Let it snow.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Horsehead Drove, PE14 9JJ

Possible Mafia connection.
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

IAN wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 08:35 I don't think that 'World's End Lane' in Quinton, Birmingham, has been mentioned.

I remember seeing a bus in London with “World’s End” in the list of places on the side. It wasn’t the last one, though. 😀
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

Owain wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 When I was at university I knew a girl whose home address was 'Slag Lane' in Wigan. She wasn't one, but unfortunately the comedy address is about the only thing I can remember about her.
Scunthorpe has a “Basic Slag Lane” in the steelworks.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

South Bank which was the heart of the old Steel Works area was always referred to by the locals as Slaggy Island but there isnt much of it left. The steelworks closed when the new Redcar works opened and Smiths Dock Shipyard closed. Most of the tenants were moved to new housing estates.

Last edited by KeithW on Mon Jun 20, 2022 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 13:50

I remember seeing a bus in London with “World’s End” in the list of places on the side. It wasn’t the last one, though. 😀
On the King’s Road in Chelsea - it’s a pub, or possibly now a former one. There’s a high rise estate named after it nearby.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Osthagen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 08:58 My sister was educated in Durham City and apparently, her school rule book specifically prohibited students from going to Grape Lane. With that school being a late Medieval establishment, I suspect the rationale may well be residual stigma from a prior name and the trade to which it referred.
Almost certainly the same school as I went to. When I went up to the senior school I was given a little green booklet containing the school rules. One of them was the prohibition on visiting Grape Lane. Writing out the school rules was sometimes given as a punishment.
Owen
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

We had a similar area in Middlesbrough, the area between the railway station and the Tees was officially called St Hilda's. Everybody in town called it 'Over the Border'. It really was a rough area. Most of the pubs over there only served drinks in plastic containers while the tables and chairs were bolted to the floor. It was all but abandoned in the 1980's but is now being rebuilt. The current council have adopted the sensible policy of encouraging brown field development

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.58248 ... 8192?hl=en
bothar

Post by bothar »

There is a suburban district here in Dublin known as Leopardstown, not far from the Kill Lane mentioned in the second post. Of course, there have never been leopards in Ireland, but there was a leper colony there in days gone by, it being outside the city.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368