London to Haworth

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

multiraider2

London to Haworth

Post by multiraider2 »

I am making this trip on Saturday 14 August. Probably leaving about 6.00 a.m. Multimap says the quickest route is M1, M62, M606, A6177, A647, A644, A629 and B6144. I will probably use the M1 but after that the route is unfamiliar. Is this actually the quickest way?Appart from the time considerations there is navigation. I am the only driver and also the only person in the car who can read a map properly, meaning I'll have to try to memorise all the turns beforehand. Is there a more straightforward way?
Any help would be appreciated.
Ian.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

That pretty much is the most direct route from London. There are several local roads that twist all over the moors, but I don't recommend them at all - go with the ones the route planner says - I'm fairly sure it's well signed.
Been a while since I was last up that way though.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Once you're off the motorway in Yorkshire you'll have to rely on signposting, as whichever way you go there will be a number of turns to make that you can't really memorise from a map.

It may be simpler (although probably not quicker) once you're on the Bradford Ring Road to follow signs A650 to Keighley, then A629 to Haworth, but you still need to remember to turn right onto the A6033 then B6144.

Peter
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
A6140_ashton-nthn-bypass

Post by A6140_ashton-nthn-bypass »

I'd recommend consideringtwo alternatives, to avoid getting lost in Bradford. Not that there's owt wrong with Bradford!

Quickest (avoidsBradford)- M62, A58, A644, A629, B6144
  • Come off the M62 J.26 (Chain Bar Rbt./M606) and take the A58 towards Halifax.
  • Turn right at Hipperholme lights (the second main set after leaving the M62 Rbt.).
  • Follow the A644 straight on through Lightcliffe Rbt.
  • Continue on the A644 through Queensbury, straight through the lights.
  • Join the A629 as signposted. (Don't go straight on, leads to dead end blind junction!)
  • Continueon the A629 throughDenholme
  • Turn left (at the dippy crossroads) onto the B6144, takes you to Haworth</UL> or

Easiestto remember - M62, A644, A629, B6144
    • Coming off the M62 J.25 at Brighouse, you can follow the A644 into the town centre.
    • Follow the A644 (right) out of Brighousetown centre.
    • Follow the A644straight on through Hipperholme lights.
    • Follow the A644 straight on through Lightcliffe Rbt.
    • Continue on the A644 through Queensbury, straight through the lights.
    • Join the A629 as signposted (Don't go straight on, leads to dead end blind junction!).
    • Continueon the A629 throughDenholme
    • Turn left (at the dippy crossroads) onto the B6144, takes you to Haworth</UL> or are my directions as bad as my driving?

Charley (in Huddersfield)
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know how I get on.
Ian.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Hmm. So much for me saying I wanted an easy route. It turned out I had a lot of time to spare so I chose to leave the M1 at Junc 28 and then take A38 to Alfreton, A615 to Matlock, A6 to Bakewell, A619, B6001 to Hathersage, A6187, A6013, A57 Snake Pass, A6018 to Stalybridge, B6175, A6051, A6052, A672, A58 to Sowerby Bridge, A6139, A646 to Hebden Bridge, A6033, B6142.
Comments: A615 used to be a B road per Roads by 10 and it feels like it. The A6 Matlock to Bakewell wasn't moving at over 35mph at any point. Bakewell: Authentic Bakewell slice was good, town not a hold up. B6001 nice scenery and little traffic. A57: good and very dramatic route until Glossop which was jammed both ways for most of the way from town until the A628 junction. Uppermill on A6051: nice village, but because of roadworks necessitating SALTand some sort of 1940'sAmerican Forces theme going on on way up and morris men towing and sitting on what looked like a giant pineaple right down the high street on way back,not fast. Carriageway stabilisation works on A646also meant SALT and diversion right off the normal road.
Ian.
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

Multiraider 2 << but because of roadworks necessitating SALT>>
What were they using salt for at this time of year?
Glenn
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

<<what were they using salt for at this time of year?>>
Well, the weather has been very odd this summer -it's already the wettest August on record and there's still a week to go.
(it's not an acronym I've seen before, but I assume SALT really means "single alternate lane traffic")
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

Thanks for that, not an acronym I've seen either.
I went for the obvious seeing that the autumn tints are appearing alongside the M3 at Spitfire Link near J/tion 9 (which always turn colour before most areas down here)
Glenn (still waiting for the caffiene to kick in)
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Yes the weather was bad, but thankfully ice free.I had picked up onthatacronym in the past somewhere and have used it since. But if it is causing confusion.....
Ian.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

SALT - I'll have to remember that one, it's a good 'un! :-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
multiraider2

Re: London to Haworth

Post by multiraider2 »

This is a reply to my 14th ever post and my first topic starter. I'm going to the Dales and whilst that is not quite Haworth; Skipton, which I put in as a destination here, is not too far away. Google maps always seems to give me M40 or M1 options depending on what time of day I say I'm starting, but its favourite is this via the A1:

this.

I've tweaked it to avoid Ilkley on the A65, as I like the look of the unclassifed road from Otley to Blubberhouses. Quiet and a centreline. My kind of unclassified route. The locals from Otley would be wondering why someone from London is rat running through their estate.

As mentioned way back in 2004, I never actually took Multimap's advice then and came up with my own convoluted route, crossing the Pennines twice. Also, as I've mentioned, probably ad nauseam, absolute speed is never actually the requirement for me; but not being stuck in traffic is. But I'd like to get somewhere I'd like to walk in good time to enjoy the day.

The original plan from 2004 was through Bradford but looking at streetview images and delay indications, there doesn't actually seem to be a way though there now that isn't a complete nightmare. Certainly not on either the westerly or easterly ring road by the look of it. I guess if you were local, city back streets would again be the order of the day.

Getting back will be another matter. If I had free reign, I'd leave the holiday house on the last evening and get home in the early hours. The last trips back from the Lake District/Harrogate leaving at 9am have been "trying" to say the least. The one from Harrogate nearly actually finished me as a driver.
hat

Post by hat »

i cam home to just outside Skipton from Brighton via the M11/A1 a few weeks ago. The only watchouts there are 1) no services on the M11 & 2) constant HGV 'elephant racing' on the A14/A1 (ie overtaking each other by 5mph) slowing things down. Carrying on the A1 to Wetherby is a good option to avoid the Leeds/ Bradford area but on that length of route i wouldn't worry too much about avoiding Otley & Ilkley. It's only busy at peak times. Taking the A658/ A660 from Pool avoids Otley centre. But if you do fancy that route maybe look at the B6451 from Farnley to the A59 so you don't have to dip into the outskirts of Otley, or route via Beckwithshaw & take Penny Pot lane past the army college.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

hat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 09:45 i cam home to just outside Skipton from Brighton via the M11/A1 a few weeks ago. The only watchouts there are 1) no services on the M11 & 2) constant HGV 'elephant racing' on the A14/A1 (ie overtaking each other by 5mph) slowing things down. Carrying on the A1 to Wetherby is a good option to avoid the Leeds/ Bradford area but on that length of route i wouldn't worry too much about avoiding Otley & Ilkley. It's only busy at peak times. Taking the A658/ A660 from Pool avoids Otley centre. But if you do fancy that route maybe look at the B6451 from Farnley to the A59 so you don't have to dip into the outskirts of Otley, or route via Beckwithshaw & take Penny Pot lane past the army college.
Birchanger Green Services are on the M11 at J8 but are a pain to get in and out of.
Cambridge Services are just off the A14 at J24
The new A14 is D3 from Girton to the A1

You cant actually get off the A1 at Wetherby, if you want to pick up the A659 you need to exit at J45. Its not the fastest road but it avoids Leeds and Bradford.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

hat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 09:452) constant HGV 'elephant racing' on the A14/A1 (ie overtaking each other by 5mph) slowing things down.
A speed differential of 5mph would be good, and the overtake should be completed fairly rapidly. It's typically more like 1 or 2 mph, as both lorries will be driving to their speed limiter at a nominal 56mph (= 90km/h), but there are small tolerances allowed in calibration meaning that one vehicle will be faster than the other. In this scenario an overtake can take forever.

As Keith says, A14 has three lanes from Girton to the A1, so getting past an elephant race ought to be possible. However, whereas HGVs are banned from the outside lanes of motorways with 3 or more lanes, I don't think that's the case for A-roads, so I guess it's possible that there may be a double elephant race with HGVs in all three lanes. But this seems unlikely, however legal it may be.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Leaving early and luckily don't need Birchanger services or anything else off the M11. I avoid services at the best of times unless someone needs the toilet but really do object to taking any that involve a road junction. I did make a couple of trips previously and went in for breakfast at the OK Diner in Tickencote which has an Esso on the same site if needs be. Sadly, since Covid, OK Diner are only opening at 9am and I'll be past there and indeed their more northerly branch at Beck West, north of Newark before that. I don't particularly like megacorp Starbucks but we stopped for breakfast we took ourselves and had a coffee from their roadside stop at Thornhaugh north of Wansford the last time. That has a Shell on the same site.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 23:34 This is a reply to my 14th ever post and my first topic starter. I'm going to the Dales and whilst that is not quite Haworth; Skipton, which I put in as a destination here, is not too far away. Google maps always seems to give me M40 or M1 options depending on what time of day I say I'm starting, but its favourite is this via the A1:
A critique and a few suggestions/questions:
The route heads to Dartford but with a 5.30am start you are likely to hit the crossing after 6am so £2/£2.50 to add?
Not knowing any constraint on choosing to head east, I might consider alternatives of either heading south (Sanderstead, Caterham Bypass), west (Hampton Court, Staines) to pick up the M25 westwards round to the M40 or north, through London (before congestion charge) to pick up the M40 (or M1) directly. Although these might appear counterintuitive and be slightly longer or shorter in time or distance, over 5-6 hours it is the time spent on stops and their number that is likely to determine the arrival time.
Personally, my choice on a long family journey (if rail options discounted :) ) is to plan to use a route that has the most number of lanes per carriageway and services. From Dorset northwards that means the M5 corridor rather than the A34, so for a route north from south east London I would normally try to avoid the M11 (as well as it being boring) and I would try to use the M40 over the M1 as the traffic volumes are still IIRC lower on the M40 and so average speeds are likely to be able to be higher.
From the M40, I would use A46 and M69 (good choice of off motorway stops at Coventry) to pick up the M1 and use that in preference to the A1 again for the number of lanes and more recent standard of road until it meets the A1 at Hook Moor.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

multiraider2 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2004 14:47 ... snip ...
I am the only driver and also the only person in the car who can read a map properly, meaning I'll have to try to memorise all the turns beforehand. Is there a more straightforward way?
Ian.
If I am doing a trip like that, I prepare a few postit notes (or something similar) with very short instructions and distances. If I am using motorways, I record junction numbers and driver location sign value. Also, I don't put too much info on one piece of paper, I can always stop at a service area and stick a new piece of paper up.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Vierwielen wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 21:41
I am the only driver and also the only person in the car who can read a map properly, meaning I'll have to try to memorise all the turns beforehand. Is there a more straightforward way?
Ian.
If I am doing a trip like that, I prepare a few postit notes (or something similar) with very short instructions and distances (my only satnav is on my mobile). If I am using motorways, I record junction numbers and driver location sign value. Also, I don't put too much info on one piece of paper, I can always stop at a service area and stick a new piece of paper up.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

RichardA35 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03
multiraider2 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 23:34 This is a reply to my 14th ever post and my first topic starter. I'm going to the Dales and whilst that is not quite Haworth; Skipton, which I put in as a destination here, is not too far away. Google maps always seems to give me M40 or M1 options depending on what time of day I say I'm starting, but its favourite is this via the A1:
A critique and a few suggestions/questions:
The route heads to Dartford but with a 5.30am start you are likely to hit the crossing after 6am so £2/£2.50 to add?
Not knowing any constraint on choosing to head east, I might consider alternatives of either heading south (Sanderstead, Caterham Bypass), west (Hampton Court, Staines) to pick up the M25 westwards round to the M40 or north, through London (before congestion charge) to pick up the M40 (or M1) directly. Although these might appear counterintuitive and be slightly longer or shorter in time or distance, over 5-6 hours it is the time spent on stops and their number that is likely to determine the arrival time.
Personally, my choice on a long family journey (if rail options discounted :) ) is to plan to use a route that has the most number of lanes per carriageway and services. From Dorset northwards that means the M5 corridor rather than the A34, so for a route north from south east London I would normally try to avoid the M11 (as well as it being boring) and I would try to use the M40 over the M1 as the traffic volumes are still IIRC lower on the M40 and so average speeds are likely to be able to be higher.
From the M40, I would use A46 and M69 (good choice of off motorway stops at Coventry) to pick up the M1 and use that in preference to the A1 again for the number of lanes and more recent standard of road until it meets the A1 at Hook Moor.
Thanks. I will always consider the train. On single or return journeys from/to a city, place with a station that makes sense. Staying in a house that's several miles from the nearest station and there being four of us and jouneys out will not usually be to a place near a station, it doesn't. As I said in the "why don't you use the train" thread, I generally do and my three year old car has 8k on the clock. But I can't make the holidays I tend to choose work with the train only. Having said all that, I would like to do the Settle to Carlise rail journey or get off at Ribblehead.

My route was supposed to go through the Blackwall Tunnel. Leaving at 5.30 am that will be fine and its only 11 miles from here. So I won't be wasting the £2.50 at Dartford. I might be able to push it and make it to there before 6am but there's no need. The A12 to the Redbridge Roundabout will be fine also at the early time.

I've used the M40 and I've used the M1 in the past. There is very little to seperate the distances from the middle of South London. I might well think about those routes coming back, but then there is Central London/Thames Bridges, or the North/South Circular or the M25 or the Blackwall Tunnel to consider at the end. At tea time on a Friday, there is frankly nothing that is quick in any of that lot. The QE2 Bridge might just win it, but the M25 seems to hate me.
Vierwielen wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 21:41
Ian.
If I am doing a trip like that, I prepare a few postit notes (or something similar) with very short instructions and distances. If I am using motorways, I record junction numbers and driver location sign value. Also, I don't put too much info on one piece of paper, I can always stop at a service area and stick a new piece of paper up.
My posting there is 18 years old and now I will look at streetview first for all the turnings (I've got a very good memory for places I've seen) or if all else fails, now stick it in the sat nav if I've got lost. I certainly used to do notes with the turnings/junctions on and give that to my wife. We made it several times all the way to Italy with just that.