A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

clc

Re: A9 dualling

Post by clc »

haggishunter wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:38 On the issue of the A82 - I’ve heard Tarbet to Inverarnan is heading towards half a billion for 10 miles..
At that price it’s never going to happen. Shame.
Burns

Post by Burns »

haggishunter wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:38 On the issue of the A82 - I’ve heard Tarbet to Inverarnan is heading towards half a billion for 10 miles
Just bring the Norwegians over, they'll put it in a few tunnels for a fraction of the price.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Burns wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:27
haggishunter wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:38 On the issue of the A82 - I’ve heard Tarbet to Inverarnan is heading towards half a billion for 10 miles
Just bring the Norwegians over, they'll put it in a few tunnels for a fraction of the price.
We used to ask the Dutch over to help with land reclamation and drainage, the legacy of that is for all to see in the Bedford Levels. Asking the Norwegians over to help with a bit of tunneling should be a no-brainer, wouldn't you think?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Stravaiger

Post by Stravaiger »

I notice tree felling well under way in respect of advance works relating to Moy/ tomatin project.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Perth to Luncarty currently has cones left to one side of the road, the central reservation gaps closed off and a blanket 50 limit. Anyone know what they're up to?
Stravaiger

Post by Stravaiger »

I thought it may be something to do with the new Tay crossing route ...
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Burns wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:27
nonsense. They're not idiots, they'd bid for the contract at local market rates
jnty

Post by jnty »

Stravaiger wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 21:02 I thought it may be something to do with the new Tay crossing route ...
Bang on - didn't realise it was starting so soon.

A9t From The Turn Off Into Denmarkfield Southwards To Inveralmond Roundabout, Perth
16/05/2022
582 Working Day(s)
Verge works with speed limit reductions for Cross Tay Link Road

From https://www.roadworksscotland.org/
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

National Transport Strategy (NTS2) - Second Delivery Plan - 2022-2023 published today: https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... 2022-2023/
Dualling the A9 Between Perth and Inverness - We will continue to progress the procurement of the construction contract for the Tomatin to Moy section which is expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022. We will continue to progress design work and the statutory processes for the remaining eight schemes, as well as assessing procurement options. When completed the dualling programme will bring many benefits to local communities, businesses, visitors and road users living, travelling and working along the corridor including reduced journey times, improved journey time reliability, improved road safety and opportunities for active travel.
Funding for any transport schemes is however is in doubt: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-61728712
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:52 We used to ask the Dutch over to help with land reclamation and drainage, the legacy of that is for all to see in the Bedford Levels. Asking the Norwegians any country over to help with a bit of tunneling actually building proper roads should be a no-brainer, wouldn't you think?
FTFY :D
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

The report for Killiecrankie to Glen Garry has finally been issued to Scottish Ministers, more than two years after the PLI sessions were held. I would not expect a decision any time soon though given the controversial nature of the scheme and the current issues with Stonehenge.

Satus of all schemes as of 9 June 2022:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Completed (August 2021).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (June 2022).

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Decision issued confirming Orders on 17 January 2022, published on 27 January 2022.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Decision issued confirming Orders on 15 November 2021, published on 22 November 2021.

Tomatin to Moy: Shortlist announced on 1 December 2021. Contract expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022.
andypins

Post by andypins »

A9Dan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 The report for Killiecrankie to Glen Garry has finally been issued to Scottish Ministers, more than two years after the PLI sessions were held. I would not expect a decision any time soon though given the controversial nature of the scheme and the current issues with Stonehenge.

Satus of all schemes as of 9 June 2022:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Completed (August 2021).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (June 2022).

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

What do Made Orders mean here?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

A9Dan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:12 Funding for any transport schemes is however is in doubt: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-61728712
The statement seems to blame everyone from Boris Johnson to Vladimir Putin and the oil industry.
Finance Secretary Kate Forbes stated: "It will not be possible to meet all of our commitments within the funding available."

The Scottish government capital spending review document puts some of the blame for the changes on allocations of capital funds by the Treasury in its spending review published last autumn. These are 5% lower than the Scottish government expected.

The St Andrew's House review says the allocation of capital funds by the Treasury "places significant additional pressure on our capital programme and will curtail efforts to reduce emissions and adapt to the changing climate".

More significant problems are arising from the inflation of costs and supply chain disruption to construction projects, which the finance secretary blames on Brexit, energy inflation and war in Ukraine.

The Office for National Statistics estimates inflation on new construction projects is running at 8%, and on housing at nearly 11%.
As for Made Orders I think they refer to Orders placed for the development including compulsory purchase orders.
andypins

Post by andypins »

''The statement seems to blame everyone from Boris Johnson to Vladimir Putin and the oil industry.''

haha - true!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

andypins wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 17:10 ''The statement seems to blame everyone from Boris Johnson to Vladimir Putin and the oil industry.''

haha - true!
Which means nobody is to blame.

Having worked in the oil industry I am well aware that they don't control the price, the laws of supply and demand do that. During the covid lockdowns demand dropped and so did prices. Its now back to where it was in 2013, the problem is refining capacity is still recovering as a number were mothballed or closed. A longer term issue is that as refineries reach end of life investors are not replacing them due to the expected rise in the switch to green energy and electric cars.
https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/crude-oil
Starling

Post by Starling »

Another bad crash on the A9 with 3 fatalities, this was on a section that has not been duelled yet.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/202 ... cle-crash/
jnty

Post by jnty »

Starling wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 18:05 Another bad crash on the A9 with 3 fatalities, this was on a section that has not been duelled yet.

Sad news. Slochd Summit is dualled so presumably if it happened on an S2 road that can't have been the exact location? I wonder if it was related to the D2/S2 transition nearby.
Starling

Post by Starling »

jnty wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 18:19
Starling wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 18:05 Another bad crash on the A9 with 3 fatalities, this was on a section that has not been duelled yet.

Sad news. Slochd Summit is dualled so presumably if it happened on an S2 road that can't have been the exact location? I wonder if it was related to the D2/S2 transition nearby.
Very sad indeed.

Looking at other news images online I think it happened about 600m east of the dualled section approximately at this location:

https://goo.gl/maps/BUE2guzoY1FkYbMAA
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Re the accident at Slochd I understand that a US citizen appeared via video link from his hospital bed charged with an offence as well as another driving offence near Dalwhinnie the same day - perhaps wrong side of the road?
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I noticed that the Scottish Gvernment are considering £500million of cuts and am wondering what impact that will have on the A9 Dualling never mind any other road schemes
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year