A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B1040

Re: A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon "news"

Post by B1040 »

Limited visibility round the corner from lane 2
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

fwiw heres a video of the A14 westbound 'new' section cambridge to the A1, taken last week. https://youtu.be/6Fudc5IOPgA
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Having used the improved section past Cambridge for the last 18 months I have to say it's a pretty good road.

There are a few aspects that strike me as odd but perhaps ultimately sensible. First, the two slip roads off to the A428 for what is a relatively low-trafficked dual carriageway. Whilst right now they seem under-utilised I actually think this is a bit of genius forward planning not often seen. The A428 is very likely to be dualled all the way to Milton Keynes eventually, once the St Neots-Caxton Gibbet section is fully bypassed. At which point the traffic flow down the A428 is likely to increase and the twin slip roads make more sense.

However, what doesn't make so much sense is the lane drop before meeting the A14 for the west to east carriageway. I can only assume this was a compromise brought about by the desire to reduce further weaving at the A14 merge. It's probably reasonable now but as traffic flows on the A428 increase I wonder if there may be some reconfiguration here. There is certainly more traffic from the A14 end for now and I don't expect that to change but it appears as if some provision has been made to have four lanes drop to three closer to the A14 merge - perhaps with one of the A14 lanes becoming a merge-in rather than its own lane. Again - it does appear that the road planners have left themselves with a few options here, which is nice to see. Let's hope they get it right when needed. The solution as it is works okay, but I do notice a number of people racing to overtake trucks from rather far away at speeds closing on three digits, as they know this is the last chance for some time.

The lack of a M11 ramp to/from the A428 is a disappointing omission. It leads to a fair bit of traffic flowing down the A1303. It would have been nice to see M11(N) to A428(E) at least bypassing the A1303. I expect it wasn't added this time around because of cost. It probably won't get added any time soon, as the traffic flows are managed adequately by the A1303 right now.

A recent left-hand sliproad on the A14 to A10 (Ely way) was added, which is of benefit to avoid sitting at the lights for that movement. However, the overall state of the roundabout, and especially the design of the lanes for the A10 to A14(W) is poor, in my opinion. In particular, the sudden lane 'gain' for the A14 leads to weaving for inexperienced users of the road and I've had a number of occasions where conflict has occurred here. A better implementation would retain this lane but allow both the left hand and middle lane to exit to the A14. A merge-in-turn at the start of the lane could be used so the road space is not materially changed. While not a design issue, the road markings are also desperately in need of repainting; I feel this further exasperates this issue as the design of the roundabout exit is not conventional.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

tom66 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 00:32 There are a few aspects that strike me as odd but perhaps ultimately sensible. First, the two slip roads off to the A428 for what is a relatively low-trafficked dual carriageway. Whilst right now they seem under-utilised I actually think this is a bit of genius forward planning not often seen. The A428 is very likely to be dualled all the way to Milton Keynes eventually, once the St Neots-Caxton Gibbet section is fully bypassed. At which point the traffic flow down the A428 is likely to increase and the twin slip roads make more sense.
One thing that has bugged me about junction (westbound) this is that the gantry signs show to use the left hand and centre lanes for the A428, but at the lane drop they have painted a standard sliproad set of exit arrows on the road. For me, someone not familiar with the road who has been driving in the middle lane may mistake these arrows as meaning that those wanting the A428 and are in the middle lane now need to move to the left hand lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2317234 ... 384!8i8192

For me, this set of arrows should have only been painted at the later lane split which is not a lane drop.
tom66 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 00:32 However, what doesn't make so much sense is the lane drop before meeting the A14 for the west to east carriageway. I can only assume this was a compromise brought about by the desire to reduce further weaving at the A14 merge. It's probably reasonable now but as traffic flows on the A428 increase I wonder if there may be some reconfiguration here. There is certainly more traffic from the A14 end for now and I don't expect that to change but it appears as if some provision has been made to have four lanes drop to three closer to the A14 merge - perhaps with one of the A14 lanes becoming a merge-in rather than its own lane. Again - it does appear that the road planners have left themselves with a few options here, which is nice to see. Let's hope they get it right when needed. The solution as it is works okay, but I do notice a number of people racing to overtake trucks from rather far away at speeds closing on three digits, as they know this is the last chance for some time.
I think some of the bridges just to the east of Girton don't have sufficient width for 4 lanes and the developers prioritised the M11 N to A14 E not having to merge with the A428 rather than the A428 having to squeeze down to 1 lane. As you say, this may need to be revisited in the future if the traffic from the A428 increases. I know one of the local MPs was angry about this decision.
tom66 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 00:32 The lack of a M11 ramp to/from the A428 is a disappointing omission. It leads to a fair bit of traffic flowing down the A1303. It would have been nice to see M11(N) to A428(E) at least bypassing the A1303. I expect it wasn't added this time around because of cost. It probably won't get added any time soon, as the traffic flows are managed adequately by the A1303 right now.
They are modifying the half-cloverleaf to fill in some gaps to enable an M11 N to A428 W movement for service / emergency vehicles (and possibly in case of accidents/diversions). It looks like it will mostly be via T-junction/LILO. This could probably be adapted to a general M11 N to A428 W slip in the future if needed.
tom66 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 00:32 A recent left-hand sliproad on the A14 to A10 (Ely way) was added, which is of benefit to avoid sitting at the lights for that movement. However, the overall state of the roundabout, and especially the design of the lanes for the A10 to A14(W) is poor, in my opinion. In particular, the sudden lane 'gain' for the A14 leads to weaving for inexperienced users of the road and I've had a number of occasions where conflict has occurred here. A better implementation would retain this lane but allow both the left hand and middle lane to exit to the A14. A merge-in-turn at the start of the lane could be used so the road space is not materially changed. While not a design issue, the road markings are also desperately in need of repainting; I feel this further exasperates this issue as the design of the roundabout exit is not conventional.
The Milton junction is very strange with regards to line markings. With the new A14 E to A10 N shortcut, surprisingly it is the lane from the roundabout that needs to merge into the shortcut rather than the other way around which is what I would have expected. As you have pointed out the lane markings for the A14 W suddenly appear from nowhere after the exit to Cambridge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.23694 ... 384!8i8192

Also, they seem to have only painted lane markings on the roundabout itself - as you can see in the above image, the lane markings fade out down the A1307 towards the Science Park. If you look closely of the two lanes that leave the roundabout towards Cambridge, the left hand lane splits for the lane for Cambridge North station and the city-bound lane and the right hand lane is for the Science Park. However, as the markings are so faint I've nearly been swiped many times by vehicles in the right lane who just manoeuvrer into the city bound lane without indicating. Only a matter of time till there is an accident there (if it hasn't already happened).

One good aspect is that the new style lamp posts seem to have made excellent perches for the local buzzards.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 17:48 One thing that has bugged me about junction (westbound) this is that the gantry signs show to use the left hand and centre lanes for the A428, but at the lane drop they have painted a standard sliproad set of exit arrows on the road. For me, someone not familiar with the road who has been driving in the middle lane may mistake these arrows as meaning that those wanting the A428 and are in the middle lane now need to move to the left hand lane.
Yes, that is a bit odd isn't it...

Another issue with the A14 section here is the very early filter signs cause plenty of lorries to sit in the middle lane, even though there is more than adequate time to merge across closer to the exit. The capacity of the road is reduced consequentially. But, this is a UK-wide issue, so I'm not sure there is really a great solution!
kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 17:48 I think some of the bridges just to the east of Girton don't have sufficient width for 4 lanes and the developers prioritised the M11 N to A14 E not having to merge with the A428 rather than the A428 having to squeeze down to 1 lane. As you say, this may need to be revisited in the future if the traffic from the A428 increases. I know one of the local MPs was angry about this decision.
I wouldn't expect four lanes through here, what I'm more ponderous about is whether the roads will receive more equal treatment once the full A428-A421 link opens up. As it stands, I think it's a little odd to give the M11 offramp such high priority, essentially giving it a lane gain rather than a merge. If it were me, I would have M11 and A428 merge into two lanes, with the M11 slip merging with the A428 traffic. The two lanes of A428+M11 traffic would then merge as is with the A14. (In the prior post, I'd mixed up the A14 and M11 merges, so apologies.) The A1307 bridge does indeed limit that section to two lanes without a bridge replacement or a reconfiguration of the western side.
kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 17:48 They are modifying the half-cloverleaf to fill in some gaps to enable an M11 N to A428 W movement for service / emergency vehicles (and possibly in case of accidents/diversions). It looks like it will mostly be via T-junction/LILO. This could probably be adapted to a general M11 N to A428 W slip in the future if needed.
That's good to hear but I hope they are sensible enough to at least build some provision for upgrade in the future, even if it doesn't go online immediately.
kiran_mk2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 17:48 The Milton junction is very strange with regards to line markings. With the new A14 E to A10 N shortcut, surprisingly it is the lane from the roundabout that needs to merge into the shortcut rather than the other way around which is what I would have expected. As you have pointed out the lane markings for the A14 W suddenly appear from nowhere after the exit to Cambridge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.23694 ... 384!8i8192

Also, they seem to have only painted lane markings on the roundabout itself - as you can see in the above image, the lane markings fade out down the A1307 towards the Science Park. If you look closely of the two lanes that leave the roundabout towards Cambridge, the left hand lane splits for the lane for Cambridge North station and the city-bound lane and the right hand lane is for the Science Park. However, as the markings are so faint I've nearly been swiped many times by vehicles in the right lane who just manoeuvrer into the city bound lane without indicating. Only a matter of time till there is an accident there (if it hasn't already happened).
I think this is a problem with much of the UK, local council budgets are slim and it seems road markings are seen as a low priority and they barely get replaced. It does lead to our roads looking properly run down. I really wish it wasn't like this. You can clearly see Highways England (or whatever they're called next week) have the budget to keep their sections painted and maintained but as soon as you leave the trunk road network, it looks terrible.
Phil

Post by Phil »

tom66 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 21:37
I think this is a problem with much of the UK, local council budgets are slim and it seems road markings are seen as a low priority and they barely get replaced. It does lead to our roads looking properly run down. I really wish it wasn't like this. You can clearly see Highways England (or whatever they're called next week) have the budget to keep their sections painted and maintained but as soon as you leave the trunk road network, it looks terrible.
I beg to differ - the A23 south of M23 has worn away lane markings for near enough 12 months and NH have only just got round to repainting them a week ago!

The bigger problem seems to be a lack of funds for MAINTENANCE - something that routinely gets overlooked because it rarely provides Politicians (particularly Westminsters ones, who lest we forget are the ones starving LAs of proper funding) and public sector agency CEOs with a good PR opportunity compared to something shines and new.
Last edited by Phil on Fri Apr 08, 2022 00:58, edited 2 times in total.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

However, what doesn't make so much sense is the lane drop before meeting the A14 for the west to east carriageway. I can only assume this was a compromise brought about by the desire to reduce further weaving at the A14 merge. It's probably reasonable now but as traffic flows on the A428 increase I wonder if there may be some reconfiguration here. There is certainly more traffic from the A14 end for now and I don't expect that to change but it appears as if some provision has been made to have four lanes drop to three closer to the A14 merge - perhaps with one of the A14 lanes becoming a merge-in rather than its own lane. Again - it does appear that the road planners have left themselves with a few options here, which is nice to see. Let's hope they get it right when needed. The solution as it is works okay, but I do notice a number of people racing to overtake trucks from rather far away at speeds closing on three digits, as they know this is the last chance for some time.
If you look at it, it’s still forward planned the A428 eastbound at the lane drop continues as 2 lane width but just hatched down to 1 lane, you will also notice the M11 to A14 east slip that currently merges with the A428 then A14 currently has a wide section of hatching on the left side, I suspect the idea is once the A428 is upgraded and flows increase, the A428 could have 2 eastbound lanes restored with the M11 to A14 east then becoming more of a on slip like joining any other dual carriageway, it’s just currently the A428 flows don’t warrant the extra space.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

NICK 647063 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:30
If you look at it, it’s still forward planned the A428 eastbound at the lane drop continues as 2 lane width but just hatched down to 1 lane, you will also notice the M11 to A14 east slip that currently merges with the A428 then A14 currently has a wide section of hatching on the left side, I suspect the idea is once the A428 is upgraded and flows increase, the A428 could have 2 eastbound lanes restored with the M11 to A14 east then becoming more of a on slip like joining any other dual carriageway, it’s just currently the A428 flows don’t warrant the extra space.
Yep it looks like the surfacing is designed for a standard merge but is currently painted as a lane gain to match current flows. It won't matter anyway as the A428 will be inadequate if all that housing swamps it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jnty

Post by jnty »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 14:10
MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 17:43
jnty wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 17:26

Is that not just a corner radius thing? I assumed that was the case with this similar situation on approach to the Queensferry Crossing.
I did think that, but there's quite a large section further up as well.
Why not just make it a hard shoulder on the inside!!!
That would shift the lanes right and presumably reduce the sighting distance, which is apparently the whole point of the hatched area.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

It's not illegal to stop on the hatched area in an emergency, so it is effectively a hard shoulder but in the middle of the carriageway.
fridayy

Post by fridayy »

I went down the new A14 today, but I don't understand why the services have a separate slip road to the rest of the junction, seems a bit overcomplicated.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

My guess would be to separate traffic flows. First services for miles for A14 or M11 traffic. Lots of traffic leaving for A1307 towards St Ives and Huntingdon.
kiran_mk2

Post by kiran_mk2 »

I wonder whether the Services had to give up some land and negotiated a closer off-slip by way of compensation. The services sign used to be right next to the old A14 westbound carriageway and has now been moved back so it's less visible from the road.

That slip road also serves people heading to Boxworth.
camflyer

Post by camflyer »

The Milton roundabout is in a shocking state of disrepair with a huge pothole between the A10 and Milton exits. Not a very good gateway to Cambridge.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Looks like there are ongoing problems with the Bar Hill roundabout.
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... g-24109087

(Sorry it's Cambridge News with all the ads).
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

B1040 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 09:27 Looks like there are ongoing problems with the Bar Hill roundabout.

They weren’t the best from the outset really
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The last part of the A1307 at Mill Common in Huntingdon opened on thursday meaning the A14 upgrade is now finally complete.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

B1040 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 09:27 Looks like there are ongoing problems with the Bar Hill roundabout.

The article is terrible! but that's standard, Cambs Live has had everything local to Cambridge removed.
Anyway, the issue at Bar Hill is the roundabout. It's a standard layout, two straight bridges and two curves on the embankments either side.

And the embankments have subsided already, both of them, such that the bridges are now several cm higher than the rest of the roundabout.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Al__S wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 06:41

The article is terrible! but that's standard, Cambs Live has had everything local to Cambridge removed.
Anyway, the issue at Bar Hill is the roundabout. It's a standard layout, two straight bridges and two curves on the embankments either side.

And the embankments have subsided already, both of them, such that the bridges are now several cm higher than the rest of the roundabout.
Erm yes… I thought that was quite obvious from the article. (And I hate Reach websites too)

Edit: I guess the unusual use of ‘ramp’ is confusing especially given the American use of the word in this context. As I said though, the bridge level was all over the place not long after it opened so I guess the locals call them ramps.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Hdeng16 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 08:17
Al__S wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 06:41

Erm yes… I thought that was quite obvious from the article. (And I hate Reach websites too)

Edit: I guess the unusual use of ‘ramp’ is confusing especially given the American use of the word in this context. As I said though, the bridge level was all over the place not long after it opened so I guess the locals call them ramps.
I think of ramp as the American word for an inclined slip road while it appears here to refer to a bridge.