4 lane dual carriageways

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ldriver

4 lane dual carriageways

Post by ldriver »

What examples are there of 4 lane each side (8 total) Dual carriageways? I think i've seen a term like D4 used around here to describe them :p I've seen pictures of one but can't seem to locate any on google maps etc.
Mark Hewitt

Re: 4 lane dual carraigeways

Post by Mark Hewitt »

This is one http://goo.gl/maps/QuXmr sure many of the lanes are for turning off etc, but the cross section is D4.
MiChaos

Re: 4 lane dual carriageways

Post by MiChaos »

Street View is a little behind the times, but isn't this a D4?
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Plenty on the motorway network, such as the A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough. The A2 in North Kent is a good non-motorway example. I know it looks like a motorway, but it isn't.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

PeterA5145 wrote:Plenty on the motorway network, such as the A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough. The A2 in North Kent is a good non-motorway example. I know it looks like a motorway, but it isn't.
But that's a D4M isn't it not?
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Here's a long-standing D5 on the A406 North Circular Road in Woodford, east London

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.595575 ... 7,,0,10.69
samxool

Post by samxool »

i'm assuming we're excluding Motorways from this then?

The A27 between the A2030 and A3(M) is D4 (and with hard shoulders too!) http://goo.gl/maps/i0aRl

The A31/A338 multiplex (about a mile long) is D4
http://goo.gl/maps/xtouI

I'm really struggling to think of any others in the South East that haven't already been mentioned.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
PeterA5145 wrote:Plenty on the motorway network, such as the A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough. The A2 in North Kent is a good non-motorway example. I know it looks like a motorway, but it isn't.
But that's a D4M isn't it not?
I assume you meant the M1 example. The A2 certainly looks like a motorway but isn't one. It's always been high quality. Going back to building in the seventies there were three lanes along there and then two for the M2.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

samxool wrote:i'm assuming we're excluding Motorways from this then?

The A27 between the A2030 and A3(M) is D4 (and with hard shoulders too!) http://goo.gl/maps/i0aRl

The A31/A338 multiplex (about a mile long) is D4
http://goo.gl/maps/xtouI

I'm really struggling to think of any others in the South East that haven't already been mentioned.
There's probably loads in urban areas on the approaches to traffic lights! So length might need to be another criteria!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

multiraider2 wrote:
I assume you meant the M1 example. The A2 certainly looks like a motorway but isn't one. It's always been high quality. Going back to building in the seventies there were three lanes along there and then two for the M2.
No I meant the A2 example. It has 4 running lanes plus hard shoulder which makes it D4M.

cbrd.co.uk : "D3M is a dual carriageway with three lanes each way and is equipped with full hard shoulders. The 'M' refers to the fact that this is a motorway formation, but a non-motorway road equipped with full hard shoulders is described this way too (i.e. it is an engineering term, not a legal one)."
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
multiraider2 wrote:
No I meant the A2 example. It has 4 running lanes plus hard shoulder which makes it D4M.

cbrd.co.uk : "D3M is a dual carriageway with three lanes each way and is equipped with full hard shoulders. The 'M' refers to the fact that this is a motorway formation, but a non-motorway road equipped with full hard shoulders is described this way too (i.e. it is an engineering term, not a legal one)."
Duly noted and out-pedanted.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Part of the A494 is technically D4M, although in the eastbound direction one of the lanes becomes a lane drop, and in the westbound direction, the extra lane was never opened and the hard shoulder is extra-wide as a result.

The road was to continue as D4M over the bridge (or D3+4M, possibly), but the cancellation of Drome to Ewloe in 2008 means this will probably not be completed any time soon. :(
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A5103 is D4 between the M56/A560 and M60 J5, except that it is D3+HS within the junction with the B5166/7.
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

MiChaos wrote:Street View is a little behind the times, but isn't this a D4?
I can confirm it is a D4, since I live about 1 mile (if that) away :wink:

The roadworks are the Sadlers Farm Roundabout improvement works that involved a widening of the A13 from D2 to D4 and were completed not that long ago
Hope I helped :D
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The A52 Clifton Bridge here is 4 lanes in each direction, though it's a sort of D3+1/D4 layout.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Jamesabout29 wrote:
MiChaos wrote:Street View is a little behind the times, but isn't this a D4?
I can confirm it is a D4, since I live about 1 mile (if that) away :wink:

The roadworks are the Sadlers Farm Roundabout improvement works that involved a widening of the A13 from D2 to D4 and were completed not that long ago
Hope I helped :D
D4 it is!
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Another D4 section on the A13:

And there's another section in Rainham.
Last edited by Sunil_of_Yoxley on Sun Nov 10, 2013 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
SuperCoolAl

Post by SuperCoolAl »

M62 J25-26 is now D4. No hard shoulder.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:D4 it is!
If that's D4, then so is the A34 for a stretch south of the junction with the M4.

No idea if this is an 'official' term, but I'd call it D2+2 or something like that. It's not really four lanes each way, it's two pairs of two.