Motorways - who's bagged them all.....

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gareth Thomas

Re: Motorways - who's bagged them all.....

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Helvellyn wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 16:39 Ive got a lot missing, but just a question about what counts - when you say the whole length does it have to have been in one go? Mind you, even without that I'm now trying to think whether I've ever stayed on the motorway through M6 J40, so I might be missing a few hundred yards of it. I'll have to carry on to 41 the next time, just in case!
In my list, I said which ones I had done in one go and which ones I hadn’t, but I don’t know about how others have classed it.

When I have done a motorway “end to end”, on some I have stopped at services which means technically leaving the main carriageway, but I still count it. In your example, you could just go by junction numbers, so if you have done Junction 39 to 40, and 40 to 41, I’d count that as 39 to 41. 😃
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Scratchwood wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:28 Just counting those I've driven on, rather than as a passenger

In Full
M2, M3, M6 Toll, M11, M25, M26, M32, M40, M42, M45, M48, M49, M55, M61, M69, A48(M), A404(M)

Ex Motorways (driven when they were Motorways)
M10, A102(M)

In Part
M1 (J1-J37), M4 (J1-J33), M5 (J1-J4A, J16-J31), M6 (J1-J32), M18, M20 (J1-J5), M23 (J8-J11), M27, M56, M57, M60, M62, A1(M) (up to J41)
I can add the M66 (full) and M65 (part) to that list, plus I completed the M60 by going the long way round it from the J18 (M66) to J12 (M62) :D
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

So, what sections am I missing? I've got some extremities to visit, and some fiddly bits...

M2 J5-7
M20 J9-13 as a driver, been a passenger on that section though.
M65 J8-J14.
M80 J8-M9.
M90 NE of J10.

A8(M)
A167(M) north of A1058 junction, been a passenger.
A329(M) north of the M4.
A1077(M) but I did drive it when it was M181.

A1(M) Washington Spur
M4 Heathrow Spur
M25 Heathrow Spur
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

During my trip to Wales earlier this month I remembered to divert and cover all of the M49 and the A48(M). That leaves me with just the M57 to do later this year and another drive around Scotland to be sure and I'll have done all the possible numbered motorways in Great Britain. This doesn't include some of those unbuilt and secretive schemes as seen on Pathetic Motorways.

Next stop: The Island of Ireland!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I got to drive the M6 Toll yesterday.

I've never been on it before. I'd always thought that it would be a motorway that I'd never get to drive, because it lies tangentially to almost every route that I ever drive through the Midlands, and because of the toll it hardly seemed like a road I'd go out of my way to drive.

Nonetheless, after staying overnight in Crewe and having to be at the NEC by 11am, I opted for it after miles of 60mph limit on the M6 between Stoke and the split, and figuring that the M6 would only be worse through the Birmingham area, I decided to take the plunge.

I loved it .... it was like being in France!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
owen b

Post by owen b »

Owain wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:49 I got to drive the M6 Toll yesterday.

I've never been on it before. I'd always thought that it would be a motorway that I'd never get to drive, because it lies tangentially to almost every route that I ever drive through the Midlands, and because of the toll it hardly seemed like a road I'd go out of my way to drive.

Nonetheless, after staying overnight in Crewe and having to be at the NEC by 11am, I opted for it after miles of 60mph limit on the M6 between Stoke and the split, and figuring that the M6 would only be worse through the Birmingham area, I decided to take the plunge.

The trouble with the M6Toll for me is that as a stingy / rational (delete as preferred) accountant I just can't justify paying the toll. According to Google Maps it's actually 1.6 miles further than staying on the M6 (northbound), 0.6 miles longer (southbound) and right now it only saves four minutes northbound / eight minutes southbound. Eight minutes of my time is worth nowhere near the cost of the toll. If I knew that it would save me over 30 minutes I might consider it (which is very rare at times I drive through that area). Consequently I think I've only used it once, when it was new, just to see the road.
Owen
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

owen b wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 17:28 The trouble with the M6Toll for me is that as a stingy / rational (delete as preferred) accountant I just can't justify paying the toll. According to Google Maps it's actually 1.6 miles further than staying on the M6 (northbound), 0.6 miles longer (southbound) and right now it only saves four minutes northbound / eight minutes southbound. Eight minutes of my time is worth nowhere near the cost of the toll. If I knew that it would save me over 30 minutes I might consider it (which is very rare at times I drive through that area). Consequently I think I've only used it once, when it was new, just to see the road.
On a utilitarian basis, the M6Toll only really is useful for specific journeys NW/SE at certain times of the day. Outwith those times it is not. The toll is at a point shunpiking is not just attractive it becomes desirable, and like the Madrid Radiales shunpiking it is made easier by the M6 classic.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

owen b wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 17:28

The trouble with the M6Toll for me is that as a stingy / rational (delete as preferred) accountant I just can't justify paying the toll. According to Google Maps it's actually 1.6 miles further than staying on the M6 (northbound), 0.6 miles longer (southbound) and right now it only saves four minutes northbound / eight minutes southbound. Eight minutes of my time is worth nowhere near the cost of the toll. If I knew that it would save me over 30 minutes I might consider it (which is very rare at times I drive through that area). Consequently I think I've only used it once, when it was new, just to see the road.
I've been on it once, for similar reasons. It's not normally of any use to me, as it crosses my routes to the NE, and for the NW I'll use the non-toll M6.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

owen b wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 17:28

Agreed. You have to have to be travelling in the rush hour (or there be an accident) to make it an attractive use of your own money, which is a flaw of the whole concept.

Especially as the elevated M6 is a more interesting drive too!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Made some more progress last week...
Big L wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 13:15 So, what sections am I missing?

M2 J5-7
M65 J8-J14.
M80 J8-M9.
M90 NE of J10.

A8(M)
A329(M) north of the M4.

A1(M) Washington Spur
M25 Heathrow Spur
Make poetry history.

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

More progress...
M2 J5-7
M65 J8-J14.
M80 J8-M9.
M90 NE of J10.

A8(M)
A1(M) Washington Spur
Make poetry history.

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

A bit more progress...
M20 J9-13
M65 J8-J14.
M80 J8-M9.
M90 NE of J10.

A8(M)
A1(M) Washington Spur
Make poetry history.

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

M65 J8-J14.
M80 J8-M9.
M90 NE of J10.

A8(M)
A1(M) Washington Spur
Make poetry history.