A46 Coventry Junctions upgrade

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Alderpoint

Re: A46 Coventry Junctions upgrade

Post by Alderpoint »

Alderpoint wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 07:19
SteveA30 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 23:36 Went this way on Sunday March 20. Bridge mostly in place. What do you reckon, late summer opening?
Supposedly still on track for "Spring 2022". There is not much left to be done.
It's going to be very tight to meet that (still signposted) Spring date. They've just announce weekend closures for surfacing works, the last of which finishes 20th June.
Let it snow.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Alderpoint wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 15:57
SteveA30 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 23:36 Went this way on Sunday March 20. Bridge mostly in place. What do you reckon, late summer opening?
It's going to be very tight to meet that (still signposted) Spring date. They've just announce weekend closures for surfacing works, the last of which finishes 20th June.
One spare day then?
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Paul7755 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 22:32
One spare day then?
Exactly.
Let it snow.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Paul7755 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 22:32
One spare day then?
Or nine, meteorological spring includes the whole month of June, so more wiggle room for the deadline
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Herned wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 08:54 Or nine, meteorological spring includes the whole month of June, so more wiggle room for the deadline
I beg to differ... meteorological spring is March, April and May

Meteorologically, June is summer.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/le ... ring-start
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Did we ever work out what months the Highways Authority think are in what seasons.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 09:14
I beg to differ... meteorological spring is March, April and May

Meteorologically, June is summer.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/le ... ring-start
D'oh! Of course it is... must have been thinking of second quarter
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Big L wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:48 Did we ever work out what months the Highways Authority think are in what seasons.
I expect they must use the astronomical dates of the seasons (rather than meterological), which would go along with the astronomical costs of most projects…. :D

Paul
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Big L wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:48 Did we ever work out what months the Highways Authority think are in what seasons.
Winter: October to March
Spring: January to June
Summer: April to September
Autumn: July to December

:wink:
BigBazz

Post by BigBazz »

I would suggest that Roger Ford's "Informed Sources" Third Law ("Always distrust schedules based on the seasons") applies to NH just as much as it does to the railway.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Have they not installed one of those daft progress bar signs down there? We have them all over the NW now, and all it makes people think is "why does it take nearly two years to replace a bridge" (M56 bridge replacement near J11 for example).
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
vlad

Post by vlad »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 19:01 Winter: October to March
:wink:
...and of course "Winter 2022" means "December 2022" (or maybe later). :D
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 20:53 Have they not installed one of those daft progress bar signs down there? We have them all over the NW now, and all it makes people think is "why does it take nearly two years to replace a bridge" (M56 bridge replacement near J11 for example).
The M4 Smart Motorway Preparing for Digital Highways project has one westbound at J3 (and possibly others elsewhere). It had no progress bar at all from the start of the works until around early autumn last year, when it jumped to the halfway point. It hasn’t moved since. Its main role appears to be a combination of driver distraction and unnecessary crash hazard.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 20:53 Have they not installed one of those daft progress bar signs down there? We have them all over the NW now, and all it makes people think is "why does it take nearly two years to replace a bridge" (M56 bridge replacement near J11 for example).
For the few months there has been a "Single lane for X Weeks" sign (N- and S-bound) which has been counting down, although it was stuck on 3 weeks for a while. It was on 2 weeks when I went past Tuesday last week - I'll go past again tomorrow and will see if it is stuck again.
Let it snow.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Paul7755 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 18:03
I expect they must use the astronomical dates of the seasons (rather than meterological), which would go along with the astronomical costs of most projects…. :D

Paul
Sorry Paul, I misread this at first for "astrological" :laugh:
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Alderpoint wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 09:24
For the few months there has been a "Single lane for X Weeks" sign (N- and S-bound) which has been counting down, although it was stuck on 3 weeks for a while. It was on 2 weeks when I went past Tuesday last week - I'll go past again tomorrow and will see if it is stuck again.
I came through this morning and it's still saying "2 weeks". A week is a long time in roadworks.
Let it snow.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Let it snow.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Alderpoint wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:39 Walsgrave junction preferred route announcement.

Direct link to PDF.
This is fine, I think, though there’s no especially good reason why the northbound off-slip can’t be near the location of the current roundabout. The western roundabout of the dumbbell pair could then be eliminated with the northbound on-slip just peeling off the local road connection. But I suspect that hasn’t been done because it provides no scope for new development to be connected to the junction!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 18:54
Alderpoint wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 17:39 Walsgrave junction preferred route announcement.

Direct link to PDF.
This is fine, I think, though there’s no especially good reason why the northbound off-slip can’t be near the location of the current roundabout. The western roundabout of the dumbbell pair could then be eliminated with the northbound on-slip just peeling off the local road connection. But I suspect that hasn’t been done because it provides no scope for new development to be connected to the junction!
The engineers lack the design imagination, computer/DMRB says "dumbbell" so dumbbell it is. Split slip roads etc are therefore verboten, especially where they won't facilitate a Eurogarage or Amazon shed.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 18:54

Direct link to PDF.
The accouncement does say:
Access to the hospital
We’re aware of aspirations for a direct link from
the new junction to the hospital and this was a key
theme raised in consultation feedback.
At the next stage of design, we’ll work closely with
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire,
Coventry City Council and other stakeholders to
investigate the possibility of a link.
If such a link does happen (in addition to the current access) then that will be a great improvement for hospital access and a good reason for the northbound slip where they have it.
Let it snow.