A13 Stanford-le-Hope Bypass Widening

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Runwell

Re: A13 Stanford-le-Hope Bypass Widening

Post by Runwell »

Runwell wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 23:15
Runwell wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 18:25
Hopefully, the end is four weeks or so away, but I won't hold my breath.
Can't see this project now being completed until the start of May at least.
Another weekend closure over the first May Bank Holiday. So that answers that question.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Have heard a rumour that the road might fully open on May Bank Holiday Monday...
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Runwell wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 00:01 Have heard a rumour that the road might fully open on May Bank Holiday Monday...
A strong one, it is..
Although I am also hearing that there will be some further closures later in the year.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Going through yesterday, I'm not surprised. In fact, I would be very surprised if they even open it up fully on Monday. The road itself looks more or less complete, apart from a little bit of surfacing to the central reservation at the Stanford junction, and some signage missing in a few areas, plus a small amount of fencing by the Horndon Road houses. However, there still appears to be some barriers to be erected, whilst still work to complete to the balancing ponds, and a large amount of landscaping work between the Saffron Gardens bridge and London-bound services. Noticed also that some scaffolding and vario has been installed under the Rectory Road bridge on the London-bound side. If they do open the road fully on Monday, would be surprised if they can open it up at NSL, as there's still likely to be several issues mentioned that will have to be varioguarded off to return to at a later date? This has the whiff of the (ongoing) Sadlers Farm debacle.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Confirmed that the new third lane on the A13 will open from Monday morning. However, a 50mph limit will remain - Thurrock Council say it's for the lighting works to be complete, although wouldn't be surprised if it's also for at least some of the issues mentioned in the last post?

The Orsett roundabout will have an additional lane open, but until the traffic lights are commissioned, the new third lane on the roundabout will remain closed.

Not quite the finished article, and it's taken over three years just to get to this stage, but a bit of a relief that things are finally getting a little easier along that section.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

A13 now with three lanes running from Orsett to Stanford. Looks like the 50mph restriction will last well in to the summer, with a number of overnight lane closures over the coming weeks and months to complete signage and embankment works etc. Likely to still be works, as Richard mentioned, on and off until the end of the year.
qwertyK

Newly widened A13 opened today!

Post by qwertyK »

The newly widened A13 opened today between Stanford and Orsett. Lovely new D3 road, could easily be a motorway, very noticeable once when you get onto the D2 past it. This project was done by Thurrock Council as this section isn't trunk, despite leading to London Gateway which is why I suspect it was done. Wish the whole road was upgraded to this standard. Currently 50 though hoping its reverted back to NSL. https://drive.google.com/file/d/160b0CO ... sp=sharing
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Some nice middle lane driving there.

The traffic lights at Orsett Cock are due to go online today, with the remaining lane closure to be removed on the roundabout, although the 30mph speed limit will remain for the moment.

Not been along the A13 for a couple of weeks, but I believe the 50mph is still in place?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through the section on Saturday afternoon for the first time in months, and was disappointed to see the 50mph limit was still in place. Perhaps more disappointed though to see that the road looked virtually untouched since I last went through. None of the new signs due to be installed, notably eastbound heading away from the A1089 junction had been installed - the battered old ADS at the end of the eastbound on-ramp with now incorrect lane instructions is still in place! The only activity seems to be by the balancing ponds by the A1014 junction, but still a long way from completion and still no permanent barrier. Also some wooden fencing starting to be installed by the land beside Saffron Gardens Bridge, although still big old mounds of earth remain.

Perhaps no surprise to see the 50mph limit virtually ignored by almost everyone.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Bit frustrating to drive through here last night for the first time since August, and find it's still 50mph (almost universally ignored).

At least, unlike at Sadlers Farm, there does appear to have been work taking place. I noticed the ADS westbound signs approaching the A1014 have all been changed, apart from a brown one. All references to Shell Haven are now gone, and just Stanford-le-Hope is mentioned. It also removed the last ADS on the A13 for the Dartford Tunnel, with the exception of the sign as you join from Gale Street in Dagenham, plus on the Lodge Avenue roundabout, and the North Stifford and Grays approaches to the A1012 roundabout.
The eastbound ADS signs from the A1089 junction however are still to he replaced, including the old battered ADS at the end of the on-slip, showing the previous layout.
The work to the balancing ponds looks to be close to completion, as they are erecting the wooden fencing away from the A13, and completing landscaping works. Still landscaping works going on by Saffron Gardens Bridge, but work does appear to be going on there.
Lighting working through the junctions, but still to be switched on between the A128 and A1014 junctions.

The old works HQ by the fire station is now all cleared and boarded up, but still a big compound on the A128 arm of the Orsett Cock roundabout.

Hopefully this will be sorted when the next go through in a few weeks.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Funnily enough, following my previous message, they have actually started the remaining signage works eastbound past the A1089 overnight this week. A 2/3m ADS for Brentwood A128 is now in place. Other signs ready to be installed. Looks like they will complete that next week, and remove the battered old ADS at 3/4m. Various overnight lane closures this week when I've gone through as well, across the whole section. Thought that was a sign that it would be back to NSL shortly. However, an article today now suggests it will remain at 50mph until January, some six months later than previously advertised, on an already hugely delayed project.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221015-000141_Gallery.jpg
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through here earlier this evening for the first time in several weeks. Looks like they may be close to getting the road up to NSL.

Looks like the old battered ADS has finally been removed after the A1089 entry eastbound, and new signing now fully in place. Still a few bits of old signage in place, which may or may not be removed.

Most of the lighting is now up and running between the A128 and A1014. A few pockets where that's not the case, but it seems they are working on finishing that overnight this week, along with some surfacing remedial works. The short section West of the A128 also remains unlit, up until the edge of the refurbished section.

Looks like the balancing ponds works may be complete by the A1014 exit eastbound, as all fencing looked to now be in place, and couldn't see any obvious site equipment unless it was behind the fencing (it was dark). Fencing also appears fully in place by the Saffron Gardens bridge, although couldn't tell if the landscaping works were complete, due to the darkness.

Got a hunch therefore that the A128 to A1014 may finally be up to NSL this weekend, but looking at One Network, some overnight restrictions are expected for the A1089 to A128 section at the end of the month, so presumably this will be for the remaining lighting works?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Coming back tonight from Gatwick, and passed through for the first time in weeks, and it looks like there were contractors taking away the 50 signs and turning the NSL roundels to the front! Finally, after over four years! They had pushed the NSL restoration date back again until April, almost a year after the lanes were fully opened, so it's taken a long time to get to this stage.

The lights between the A1014 and A128 have been fully operational for some weeks now, and although I was premature last time about the balancing ponds, when I went through last week it looked like they had completely finished, likewise beside Saffron Gardens Bridge, where they had planted some trees. Still a few bits left to do inside the next month, I believe, including some surfacing remedials, lane marking adjustments on the Orsett Cock roundabout, and some tidying up works to the batter slopes, but nothing significant. I note the dozen or so lights in the central reservation from just west of the Rectory Road bridge to the approach to the end of the works by the Tilbury exit are still not operational, although it doesn't appear to have delayed the removal of the speed limit tonight, which came out of the blue.