A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by BF2142 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 13:48

Because somewhere has to be first?
I'd add that allowing anything slow on a fast D2, is a danger, and disrupts the traffic flow. Perhaps in the old days, they didn't want to spend the extra on alternative cycling routes.
And they're spending some of the project budget on building new sections of road to join up the existing A30, which makes me suspect they plan to keep NMUs off the new section.
Good that in this case they seem to have made sure there is no need for cyclists etc. to use the new D2. There seems to be lots of WCH links, including one to close the gap from Mitchel. (At least there is one on the plans I have.) So there should be no reason for cyclists to use any part of the A30 D2 in the area.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 16:09
by BF2142 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 13:48

Because somewhere has to be first?
I'd add that allowing anything slow on a fast D2, is a danger, and disrupts the traffic flow. Perhaps in the old days, they didn't want to spend the extra on alternative cycling routes.
And they're spending some of the project budget on building new sections of road to join up the existing A30, which makes me suspect they plan to keep NMUs off the new section.
Good that in this case they seem to have made sure there is no need for cyclists etc. to use the new D2. There seems to be lots of WCH links, including one to close the gap from Mitchel. (At least there is one on the plans I have.) So there should be no reason for cyclists to use any part of the A30 D2 in the area.
Once this new section is complete, it may be feasible to apply NMU restrictions on the A30 between the Loggan's Mill roundabout at Hayle and it's junction with Launceston Rd at Bodmin.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by BF2142 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 08:38

Once this new section is complete, it may be feasible to apply NMU restrictions on the A30 between the Loggan's Mill roundabout at Hayle and it's junction with Launceston Rd at Bodmin.
You may well be right. Since this is a pretty long section, perhaps it could become an expressway. Or perhaps even become the A30(M). Although that may have to exclude the part West of Camborne, as that bit is only single.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vWFfGykgs

Another video. As usual he mistakes Chybacca for Box Heater. I also wonder what the pubs are like at Carling Cross lol. Although you can still see a lot of things of interest.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Good overall vid of Chubucca and Town and Country Motors area (+ the eastern end of the Zelah bypass). Well spotted again Richard. They still have a very long way to go.

We really need that chap with the aeroplane to nip over again!
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

Anyone know if the project plan with the major milestones is available online?
IAN

Post by IAN »

BF2142 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 09:49 Anyone know if the project plan with the major milestones is available online?
This scheme is notable for its lack of recent updates or newsletters. Other schemes such as A487 Dyfi bridge, for example, have a regularly updated 'fly through'. A cynical view would be that if the project is currently ahead of schedule or even on schedule then there would be more effort to publicise that fact by the contractors.
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 22:40

They still have a very long way to go.
I believe it's due to complete towards the end of 2023.

Perhaps once the structures are built, the rest wont take so long. Also I wonder whether schemes take longer to get going these days because of the archeology that they didn't bother with a few years ago.

PS. I'm not saying this is wrong. I'm just saying I think it's probably be a big factor.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 23:21, edited 2 times in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:28

A cynical view would be that if the project is currently ahead of schedule or even on schedule then there would be more effort to publicise that fact by the contractors.
In particular, I find there's a lack of information about progress at Carland and Chiverton junctions. I assume there must be a lot actually happening somewhere in these two areas.

I also wonder whether they are reluctant to publish much, as that could make things easier for road protestors. Such as figuring out what protests are most likely to delay the scheme. That's a shame, but I'd rather the scheme is less disrupted.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-a9ua_J0I

A bit more searching, and I found this drive through video from a few weeks ago.

It doesn't show a great deal more than the previous vid. Except showing that there's been a lot of earthworks on the left near Zalah. Greatly widening the cutting, almost as far as the bridge. Plus there is something quite big at Trevalso, perhaps a crane, perhaps a piling rig, or perhaps something else. Although what's going on there is quite well hidden in this vid.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... 403842.amp

Another picture which I think is recent. I've no idea what the article is like ;).

In the distance (a bit west of Zelah), is where a new bit of local route is to tie into the existing A30. In this picture, the new local route will carry on ahead (left of the pilon), instead of the way the existing A30 bends to right.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 09:08 https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... 403842.amp

Another picture which I think is recent. I've no idea what the article is like ;).

In the distance (a bit west of Zelah), is where a new bit of local route is to tie into the existing A30. In this picture, the new local route will carry on ahead (left of the pilon), instead of the way the existing A30 bends to right.
You're not doing it right. Should have posted the link with a comment along the lines of "National Highways release important message that ALL A30 DRIVERS MUST SEE" etc... it's cornwall live, come on play the game :D
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Hdeng16 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:06

Should have posted the link with a comment along the lines of "National Highways release important message that ALL A30 DRIVERS MUST SEE" etc... it's cornwall live, come on play the game :D
Well. I'm not so good at that form of sarcasm ;).
And I really couldn't be bothered to read the article.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Well I don't think it has come as a surprise to anyone that tourists + roadworks equals mayhem.

I did say it would be chocka and it will carry on like this until September!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 08:02

Well I don't think it has come as a surprise to anyone that tourists + roadworks equals mayhem.
Although is it the roadworks contributing to the mayhem, or is it just the fact that the road was already overcrowded.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I finally though I'd better read the article.
The traffic is likely to be due to roadworks on the new dual carriageway between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross.
I think this could be a sneaky way to make people think a D2 existed before the roadworks.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_r8cf-ODVI

Another drive through.
Sounds as though he likes 70s cover versions.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Some things I noticed in the above video.

00:06 I assume that will be temporary access to Trevisome park.

00:25 I believe they will use pipe jacking here, to install a drainage outflow under the existing A30.

01:35 I assume this will be so that traffic can be transferred between the existing A30 and the new A30. (For later stages at Chiverton.)

02:30 ish. Not a lot of detail, but you can spot the new Chybacca bridge.

05:25 I'm not sure what that is on the left. Perhaps some type of site access.

05:40 ish. The cutting for new new local route on the left. And it looks like they've somehow got grass growing on the side of the cutting.

09:10 I think this is where the new D2 crosses the line of the current A30. I'm not sure how much they can do while there is still traffic on the current A30.

09:14 I've often wondered whether this is just a site access, or whether it will also be used as a temporary access to the wind farm at some point. So they can build the northern roundabout. Edit : Although at 09:42, it looks like they might currently be diverting the route to the wind farm, to the east. Although you can't see that very clearly.

09:40 First glimpse of the new bridge for Carland Junction.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Thanks for the spot again Richard.

Looks like they are really cracking on with the junctions now. Still a very long way to go!
IAN

Post by IAN »

Obviously, some way off yet but I wonder what the first section will be where traffic is transferred onto the new A30 if only as an S2 contraflow arrangement.
AKA M5 Driver