A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by roadphotos »

Although the A30 Carland to Chiverton scheme is now well underway it's appears to be unclear whether the planned pedestrian and cycle bridge over the A30 at Starbucks near Chiverton will go ahead. The planned bridge is part of the proposed Saints Trail cycle route from St Agnes to Truro. Protesters recently gathered at Chiverton to express there displeasure that the planned bridge may be scrapped due to cost issues.
IAN

Post by IAN »

roadphotos wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 23:13 Although the A30 Carland to Chiverton scheme is now well underway it's appears to be unclear whether the planned pedestrian and cycle bridge over the A30 at Starbucks near Chiverton will go ahead. The planned bridge is part of the proposed Saints Trail cycle route from St Agnes to Truro. Protesters recently gathered at Chiverton to express there displeasure that the planned bridge may be scrapped due to cost issues.
This was featured in 'Cornwall Live' today.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... 30-7145058
AKA M5 Driver
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks, interesting that the proposed bridge wasn't included in the main A30 scheme because adding it to the plans would have delayed the start of construction so they opted to include an underpass a half of a mile further east at the planned new Chiverton junction. Surely if they had any forward planning then the bridge would have been part of the A30 scheme from the beginning and the underpass wouldn't be needed. Also if the bridge gets the go ahead then the underpass probably wouldn't be used by many cyclists or pedestrians as the bridge would be the preferred option.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I would be surprised if the underpass is not more expensive than the bridge, and the bridge seems to be a better option. So I don't see why on Earth they designed the underpass into the scheme instead of the bridge. Unless perhaps the crossing was a last minute thought, just before they put in their application for DCO. So they didn't have time to consider all the options properly.
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

The crossing was definitely not there at the preliminary consultation and was added at the statutory consultation stage I believe. When attending a consultation event they said a key principle was to keep as much of the construction as offline as possible to cause least disruption so the underpass was sited as far west as possible without being on the line of the current A3075. It is also made of prefabricated concrete rings which seems to have sped up construction greatly. I have noticed the same for the WCH underpasses at Church Lane and just to the west of Carland Cross. Hence why it was one of the first structures to be largely completed.

I remember reading somewhere that it would not be possible to construct the proposed overbridge at Chiverton until the road is first lowered by around 2 meters as part of the dualing scheme. I think it would be very disruptive trying to construct the bridge there while also trying to remove the roundabout and lower the road. The underpass seems like a good trade off and much safer than crossing at grade as at present. Just a shame it’s so long because of the slip roads. If they don’t want to use it they can always go a little further to Chiverton roundabout and use one of the shorter and wider under bridges there.

Will be frustrating if the road is completed but there are still loads of restrictions and a speed limit because the potential overbridge construction overruns the end of the dualing scheme .
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Sam S » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:52

I remember reading somewhere that it would not be possible to construct the proposed overbridge at Chiverton until the road is first lowered by around 2 meters as part of the dualing scheme. I think it would be very disruptive trying to construct the bridge there while also trying to remove the roundabout and lower the road. The underpass seems like a good trade off and much safer than crossing at grade as at present. Just a shame it’s so long because of the slip roads. If they don’t want to use it they can always go a little further to Chiverton roundabout and use one of the shorter and wider under bridges there.

Will be frustrating if the road is completed but there are still loads of restrictions and a speed limit because the potential overbridge construction overruns the end of the dualing scheme .
Although I'd of though they could build the bridge abutments without any significant disruption. Then once the lowered D2 is built, I would of thought they could use a short term closure (Perhaps a weekend) to crane the bridge deck onto the abutments.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

Was the bridge included in the project’s budget?
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by BF2142 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 08:03

Was the bridge included in the project’s budget?
Pretty sure it wasn't. A crossing was added just before applying for DCO.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I've just noticed. On Google Earth, if you activate the roads layer, it now shows the layout of the temporary Chybucca junction. Well actually it's not perfect, but it's pretty close.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Well spotted Richard. Traffic layer still seems to follow the old route!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 22:02

Traffic layer still seems to follow the old route!
I can't find a 'Traffic Layer'.

If you mean street view, there doesn't seem to be much logic to when they update that. Although I've never seen it updated anywhere near this quickly. This part is still at June or September last year.

I did note that the blue lines have changed. Some are now missing, but a bit of the roundabout is now showing. That would suggest they may be in the process of updating things. Although in the past, I've found they often leave things like this incomplete for a long time.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Recently started following this thread and taking an interest in this project.

For the benefit of those of us not that familiar with the area, can someone point us in the direction of official plans, both overall and junctions etc for this scheme please? Im sure they are somewhere in the topic but it would save a massive trawl through what is a pretty big thread! Thanks.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
IAN

Post by IAN »

Richardf wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:23 Recently started following this thread and taking an interest in this project.

For the benefit of those of us not that familiar with the area, can someone point us in the direction of official plans, both overall and junctions etc for this scheme please? Im sure they are somewhere in the topic but it would save a massive trawl through what is a pretty big thread! Thanks.
The National Highways page is a good starting point https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-work ... and-cross/

This flythrough is useful too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBWbdm ... rlandCross
AKA M5 Driver
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Found it now. Thanks.

I have one questio having now seen the detailed plans. Why no east facing sliproads at the Chybucca junction? As there are so few junctions in this scheme, wouldn't they be useful for traffic heading east from the adjoining B roads? Without them, doest it force that traffic to use the old A30, potentially all the way to Carland Cross?

Perhaps I've missed something.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

I imagine to force traffic to Chivvy - it’s currently (or was) a good rat run to cut the roundabout out, but it’s a safer option to force people to the new major junction.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Richardf wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 21:15 Found it now. Thanks.

I have one questio having now seen the detailed plans. Why no east facing sliproads at the Chybucca junction? As there are so few junctions in this scheme, wouldn't they be useful for traffic heading east from the adjoining B roads? Without them, doest it force that traffic to use the old A30, potentially all the way to Carland Cross?

I imagine there are very low traffic volumes heading from the B3284 to the A30 east at Chybucca. From Shortlanesend you would take Ashley Road rather than the B3284 if you were heading north on the A30. Likewise from Perranporth you would take the B3285 rather than B3284.

Also bear in mind that the upgraded A30 corridor is pretty over-engineered, with not only the new D2 A30 but the former A30 running alongside it, including the original Zelah bypass (so Zelah will have two modern bypasses). Some sections of the 'old' A30 will be realigned, but still to a high standard.

So I'm basically not seeing an issue with a small subset of a B road's traffic having to use the former A30, which is way above the standard of a typical B road.

Furthermore, there is no GSJ at all for the B3285 towards the eastern end of the scheme, and presumably the old A30 will be numbered B3285 between there and Carland Cross. This all seems quite appropriate even though this requires the entirety of a B road's traffic to use the old A30, rather than a subset of it as at Chybucca.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Richardf » Sun Jun 05, 2022 21:15

Found it now. Thanks.

As I see it.

Most of the trips using the Chybucca junction, would be to or from the Truro area. The next junction to the east of Chybucca is Carland. So east facing slips would only be useful for traffic going at least as far as Carland. If you look at trips between Truro and Carland. Going via Chybucca is further than just using the A39. So for most, there wouldn't be any point.

Therefore the main use for east facing slips at Chybucca, would be for traffic either to or from the immediate local area, or small towns NW of Chybucca. I presume this would not generate enough traffic to justify east facing slips.

This means some traffic will have to use the new local route (the existing A30). However, this would be a relatively small amount of traffic, plus that route should be much improved without all the A30 through traffic.

Edit :
I'd add that they wanted to minimise the number of junctions along the new D2, as more junctions affect the traffic flow. So the idea is that the existing A30 will take the more local traffic, reducing the need for junctions on the new D2. I assume at Chybucca, there must be a lot more justification for west facing slips, so it is worth a small effect to the A30 through traffic.

Thinking about this some more. The more they justify slips at Chybucca, the harder it is to justify not having them at Two Barrows and Boxheater.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Since the old road is being kept to serve local traffic and reduce need for junctions, why even have a junction at Chybucca at all? Couldn't the traffic that would use the west facing sliproad just use the current A30 down to Chiverton Cross?

I know I don't know the area and the traffic flows, but it seems to me to be an all or nothing scenario. Either you have a full access intermediate junction or none at all and separate local and long distance traffic completely.

And yes I have read the above answers to my original question and acknowledge the reasons given.
jackal

Post by jackal »

The west-facing slips will get heavier use, and unlike east-facing slips relieve Chiverton Cross of some traffic.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I can see this being a pain for many locals.
A30 Traffic Management Alert
Temporary Road Closures at Marazanvose A30 Eastbound off slip, Trevalso Lane at Zelah and Allet Road at Tresawsen.

Costain, are undertaking work on behalf of National Highways to upgrade the A30 between Chiverton and Carland Cross. It’s now become necessary to temporarily close a small number of side roads, which currently connect with the A30. This includes the Marazanvose A30 Eastbound slip road and Trevalso Lane at Zelah, which will both be closed from 9am (09:00) on 1 July 2022 until 9am (09:00) on 1 July 2023 inclusive.

Additionally we will be closing Allet Road, from its junction with the A30 at Tresawsen, to the northern side of the Nanteague Farm entrance, at 00:01 hours on the 11 July 2022, until the new underpass is completed.

Please see the attached drawings for details of the location of the closures and the temporary diversion routes, they can viewed here

If you would like further information on the temporary road closures, please contact Dave James, the Community Relations Officer for the project. Dave can be contacted on 07435 926357 or david.james1@costain.com, or please contact our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.
Diversion route :
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... _Plans.pdf

Edits :
I presume the closure of the Eastbound slip at Marazanvose indicates that they are pressing on with the realigned existing A30 in that area.

I don't really see what was the point in the temporary new route to Travalso lane, if it's now going to be closed for a year.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Wed Jun 08, 2022 06:39, edited 1 time in total.