What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

Post by Owain »

haymansafc wrote: The A466 is very much a road of 'two halves'. From the A49 to Monmouth, it's like an open, rural country lane - albeit a bumpy one. South of Monmouth, it's like a Forrest trail, regularly going under canopy's of trees. Very picturesque indeed and not a road to 'rush' along.
Originally, it was of course two roads! The top half was B4232, I think. It certainly helps to explain the dramatic change in character.
Piatkow wrote: I once driver my mother home from her sister's in South Wales via the A466. She kept her nose in the newspaper from Monmouth to Chepstow and then complained all the way along the A48 to Gloucester about how boring the route that I had chosen was!
:laugh: Shame on her!

The A48 between Chepstow and Gloucester is one of England's most scenic routes; especially the bits with views of the magnificent Severn.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

My satnav, set to 'fastest route', decided to take me from Bala to Shrewsbury via the B4391 and B4396. The B4391 in particular was a lot of fun and very pretty.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Big L wrote:My satnav, set to 'fastest route', decided to take me from Bala to Shrewsbury via the B4391 and B4396. The B4391 in particular was a lot of fun and very pretty.
Yep great road. Past the Knockin shop and over the mountain. Our usual route to (and from) Bala. Normally far more interesting than following the traffic on the A5 -although that's a good road too late at night if heading for the midnight ferry from Holyhead.
Let it snow.
avtur

Post by avtur »

stu531 wrote:Almost a cliche, but for me it'd be Hardknott/Wrynose Pass.
In a 1930 Austin 7 two up, one to drive and one to push going up ... and then both can share the absolute terror of the down hill sections. There are 4 x 6 inch drum brakes, each with one leading and one trialing shoe, the rears are operated by the foot brake and the fronts by the handbrake, therefore requiring coordinated application of both and they are all cable operated. It is a terrific drive on a day as seen in the Google maps link what with the scenery, the views and with the additional mechanical challenges posed by this wonderful little car. It is even more of an adventure when most of the route is in the clouds :shock:
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

I still rate the A68, most of it is lightly trafficked, with the old bottlenecks at Dalkeith and Corbridge long since by passed, and it passes some spectacular scenery in the Borders and Carter Bar. Also the section from Corbridge to Castleside is a nice drive in summer.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Glenn A wrote:I still rate the A68, most of it is lightly trafficked, with the old bottlenecks at Dalkeith and Corbridge long since by passed, and it passes some spectacular scenery in the Borders and Carter Bar. Also the section from Corbridge to Castleside is a nice drive in summer.
Jedburgh is a lovely town and an ideal place to have a picnic or a walk. This is the view from the car park by Abbey Bridge, where the old A68 and new A68 diverge:-
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.47534 ... 6656?hl=en
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

For me, one of the best drives in the UK has to be the A2 Antrim coast road in Northern Ireland. Another scenic road that I enjoy is the A57 Snake Pass, the main drawback of which is to get to it I have to drive pretty well all the way through Sheffield.

For its history and its status as Great Britain's primary road, linking the hearts of the capitals of England and Scotland, I still like the A1, although not much of the current A1/A1(M) route is on the original 1920's alignment. I haven't yet driven all of it - the only missing bit is the north east quadrant of the Newcastle Western bypass between the A69 and the old Great North Road alignment north of Gosforth. On the few occasions I've gone up that way I've used either the Tyne Bridge or the Tyne Tunnel, or once I used the old low level swing bridge over the Tyne.
bradán

Post by bradán »

a toss up between 3 for me,
torr head coast road,
A1/N1 newry bypass great views of the ring of gullion
a12 westlink strangely
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

A535 - Holmes Chapel Road

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.26 ... !3e0?hl=en

It's one of those twisty country roads you can drives really fast on and don't have to slow for any of the corners (assuming your car has good handling). It's great fun, like a PC game haha.
The Devil's Armpit

Post by The Devil's Armpit »

Has to the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA.

Nearer home in Kerry the R559 a circular route from Dingle back to Dingle, the road width varies from
narrow to " bloody hell that's narrow ". :confused:

The old A6 from Shap to Kendal.
rotherham

Post by rotherham »

A166 York (A64 roundabout ) to old A165/A614 new (ish) junction.

From memories (pre 1995) the up and down hill road going past the livestock village at Mutton. The drive through Stamford Bridge. The long road to and up Garrowby Hill. The drive past Great Givendale (where I went during my cub scout days). And the anticipation of heading into Bridlington and the sea air. Would I go back for nostalgias sake? Maybe, but just afraid of seeing things move on in my view a bad way.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

My favourite primary routes are the A50 (between Derby and Stoke) and the A55 North Wales Expressway. Given that North Wales is my favourite place to be in the UK, and that I live in the East Midlands, you can probably see why I've chosen these two. I think the A50 is excellent apart from the three flat roundabouts it has. It's a shame that it doesn't satisfactorily link to Junction 15 on the M6 but all in all it's a good east-west route to take. If I was to take a trip to anywhere in the North West, I'd always chose A50 ahead of M6.
As for the A55, its fully grade-separated (apart from two flat roundabouts) and it has some spectacular scenery when it reaches the coast. I love seeing those first signs for 'Conwy A55' at Chester. The new(ish) expressway on Anglesey is very good too, finally Holyhead (and Ireland) is readily accessible.

Staying on the North Wales theme I like the B5106 down the Conwy valley to Betws-y-Coed, more fun than the parallel A470.

It goes without saying that the Llanberis Pass (A4086) is a stunning drive.

And Marine Drive round the Great Orme is definitely worth the £3 toll. Plus the toll ticket is good enough to park with on the Great Orme.
Robert Kilcoyne

danfw194 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 20:43 As for the A55, its fully grade-separated (apart from two flat roundabouts) and it has some spectacular scenery when it reaches the coast. I love seeing those first signs for 'Conwy A55' at Chester. The new(ish) expressway on Anglesey is very good too, finally Holyhead (and Ireland) is readily accessible.
The A55 has spectacular views towards the Clwydian Range of hills as you descend Rhuallt Hill, and at night you can see the lights of Rhos-on-Sea over ten miles away. There is also a glorious view over the Dee Estuary on the eastbound A55 near Holywell; on a good day you can see across Wirral to the two cathedrals and the Three Graces in Liverpool, the Fiddlers Ferry power station, the Silver Jubilee Bridge and the ridge above Helsby.

The A55 dual carriageway across Anglesey has reduced so much of the hassle in getting to Holyhead. I can remember the times when I had to trundle through the likes of Pentre Berw, Gwalchmai, Bryngwran and Valley on the A5, and looking anxiously at my watch to make sure that we would get to the ferry in time.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Lots of good answers on this thread.

Here's one of my favourites, a road which I've never driven but I last travelled on a couple of weekends ago. For some reason, Google Streetview hasn't managed to get round there either!

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A74(M)/ M74 from Gretna to Motherwell, provided the weather is good. It's not too busy, the scenery is spectacular, and you can do some trainspotting from your car as it follows the WCML. Also the long downhill stretch from Beattock to Lockerbie means you can open up easily and pass lorries with impunity.
Robert Kilcoyne

Glenn A wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 13:59 The A74(M)/ M74 from Gretna to Motherwell, provided the weather is good. It's not too busy, the scenery is spectacular, and you can do some trainspotting from your car as it follows the WCML. Also the long downhill stretch from Beattock to Lockerbie means you can open up easily and pass lorries with impunity.
The section from Beattock through the Lowther Hills up to Douglas (junctions 15 to 12) is my favourite motorway in the U.K. Scotland is of course renowned for the high mountains further north but the very hilly landscape in Dumfries and Galloway and South Lanarkshire is spectacular in its own right and the A74(M) and M74 are a superb example of how to build a motorway in such terrain.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

So many. A1 (not A1(M). Old A30 west of Exeter. Last years trip to Scotland revealed the delights of the A68, all of it. A697, A70/71/72/A73/A7 south as far as Galashiels. Need the rest to Carlisle now. A69 (done once only keeps it a pleasure). A51, proper trunk road, even if it isn't officially. A49, A55, A6 north of Carnforth. A470, A487, A40 Wales, A5 Wales and from A38 to A505. B7078, A272. Others.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
owen b

Post by owen b »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 20:35 The section from Beattock through the Lowther Hills up to Douglas (junctions 15 to 12) is my favourite motorway in the U.K. Scotland is of course renowned for the high mountains further north but the very hilly landscape in Dumfries and Galloway and South Lanarkshire is spectacular in its own right and the A74(M) and M74 are a superb example of how to build a motorway in such terrain.
Personal taste I guess, but I prefer the M6 from south of J36 to past J39. Heading north, on a clear day you get views over Morecambe Bay to the Coniston fells, Hutton Roof Crags on the right (one of my favourite low hills in the UK, amazing limestone pavement), the drag up to the attractive Sedbergh junction, then descending to the Lune gorge with the rounded grassy wall of the Howgill fells ahead, then the motorway, A road, rail and river through the gorge and the very steep rocky slopes to Great Coum on the left, up to bleak Shap fell and the carriageway split, then the fine distant views to the right to the north Pennines, with Cross Fell and the distinctive radar dome on the top of Great Dun Fell.
Owen
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Having recently taken a trip to the Marches and west Wales, I have found a few new favourites:

* B6105 between Glossop and the Woodhead pass, a very attractive winding wooded road.
* A458 from Shrewsbury to Welshpool, for the way it gradually changes from flat agricultural land to vast, wild green hills (also the dips on the Welsh side make it like a rollercoaster.)
* A44 from Llangurig to Aberystwyth, through the upper Wye valley, which could pass for parts of the Scottish highlands or New Zealand if you squint a bit.
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

The road that forms the last bit of my journey home. It's been the same wherever I've lived (apart from in the Borders, where it was my least favourite road to travel on).