What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rob590

Re: What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

Post by Rob590 »

CallumParry wrote:In England the A68 between Hexam (A69) and Jedburgh has to be one of my favourite
This is up there for me too but, to give a different answer, the B6318 'Military Road' from Heddon-on-the-Wall to Greenhead is also a great road to drive - both a beautiful landscape, but also a lot of fun as it ignores contours and ploughs up and over all hills and dips: you can see marks where cars have taken off at the top of each rise!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

I probably haven't driven what'll be my favourite road yet since I haven't got round to doing the big Scottish tour I've always been meaning to do.

In the meantime though I'll nominate the B4391
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
IAN

Post by IAN »

Any road with a new build construction project/upgrade next to it as it's fascinating to see what's happening, special mention for A465 'Heads of the Valleys'

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

Rob590 wrote:
CallumParry wrote:In England the A68 between Hexam (A69) and Jedburgh has to be one of my favourite
This is up there for me too but, to give a different answer, the B6318 'Military Road' from Heddon-on-the-Wall to Greenhead is also a great road to drive - both a beautiful landscape, but also a lot of fun as it ignores contours and ploughs up and over all hills and dips: you can see marks where cars have taken off at the top of each rise!
I'm going to have to give that a drive i've just looked at it on Streetview looks amazing :)
owen b

Post by owen b »

Glenn A wrote:
CallumParry wrote:In England the A68 between Hexam (A69) and Jedburgh has to be one of my favourite however there are so many to chose from it's hard!!
In Scotland the A74(M) from Gretna to Glasgow
In Wales the A55 North Wales Expressway
Definitely the first two, although I'd say the A74(M)/M74 is a lot pleasanter and less congested south of Motherwell. Also the A70 from Lanark to Ayr, it's not heavily congested and you pass some interesting places like the abandoned village of Glenbuck and half abandoned settlements like Douglas Water and Rigside.
My favourite road in Scotland south of the central belt is the Galloway forest park road from Straiton to Glen Trool village. It is good quality S1 and S2, almost deserted, has great views especially towards Merrick and the surrounding hills, and is a fantastic driving road. There are plenty of other excellent driving roads in the Southern Uplands also.
Owen
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

CallumParry wrote:
Rob590 wrote: This is up there for me too but, to give a different answer, the B6318 'Military Road' from Heddon-on-the-Wall to Greenhead is also a great road to drive - both a beautiful landscape, but also a lot of fun as it ignores contours and ploughs up and over all hills and dips: you can see marks where cars have taken off at the top of each rise!
I'm going to have to give that a drive i've just looked at it on Streetview looks amazing :)
And it runs very close to Hadrian's Wall; the visitor centre at Housesteads provides access to probably the most spectacular section of the wall.
Brett_Cook

Post by Brett_Cook »

DavidBrown wrote:For me, it'll always be the A39 between Lynton and Minehead.
Can't
quite
work
out
why!
This is a gorgeous drive, although slightly frightening at some points if you've got a lunatic bus driver around you!

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

Far too many Scottish roads here for my liking :D

For me, there's a few on the Isle of Wight that are as good as any, especially on Sunday mornings:

A3055 from Niton - Freshwater Bay (Military Road). Spectacular views and great sections for giving it the beans. The final descent into Freshwater Bay is phenomenal and deceptively easy to exceed the NSL ;)

Unclassified "The Downs Road" from Downend Road - Brading Down Road, finishing with a 14% descent into Brading down Bullys Hill. Another road with great scenery and a pleasure to drive without tourists or bimblers.

A3055 again, but this time from Shanklin Old Village - Ventnor. A mountain-esque road with loads of undulations and hairpin bends that always ends too soon!

And the notorious B3399 or "Middle Road". Too many teenagers run out of talent here and end up in hedges or overturning into fields. Another great drive though through to Calbourne.

Cheers
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Dan Lockton

Post by Dan Lockton »

multiraider2 wrote:
The A30 between Sutton Scotney and Salisbury. Because of the ability to usually drive at the National Speed Limit on a single carriageway and frequently very straight road. Also the fact that it has replaced the A303 as my route to the West Country.
I would also highly recommend starting a bit earlier on the unclassified stretch of former A30 between the "Micheldever Station" A303 junction, and Sutton Scotney — almost as straight, even less traffic, just as convenient.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Almost a cliche, but for me it'd be Hardknott/Wrynose Pass.

Failing that, locally the A59 Skipton-Harrogate and Cam Gill Road/Coverdale Pass are great.

Also, for purely tonking it, I can recommend Redlish Road from Blubberhouses to Greenhow Hill. Some fantastic sweeping bends and great scenery.
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

DavidBrown wrote:For me, it'll always be the A39 between Lynton and Minehead.
Can't
quite
work
out
why!
Have to agree with this. Truly lovely road.
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

I wonder what the OP's favourite(s) are.
Lifelong motorhead
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

I see the B3306 was mentioned, I definitely second that, especially between Pendeen and St Ives; some absolute stunning scenery and views!

For me, I'm torn between the A30 going West from the M5 at Exeter, because it feels like you're on the last leg heading to the far west of Cornwall and thus being some 100 off miles from the nearest motorway. And there is then the A5 from the M56 to the A55 especially. The road is near enough the bog-standard primary dual-carriageway, before the Welsh mountains come into view and it slips into a single carriageway. Once you go left at the roundabout North of Chirk, and leaving the A483 behind, the long descent down the hill is a sign of things to come. This route is so historic, and definitely one of the best Wales has to offer, with some unreal views of Snowdonia.

So either the A5 between the M56 and A55 or the A30 West of Exeter from the M5
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

A3055 Military Road from Freshwater Bay to Chale. One of the few major routes on the Isle of Wight not to be stuffed with traffic. I'm from the island originally and have always had a soft spot for its southern half :)
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten

From the SABRE Wiki: A3055 :

The A3055 is the southern half of the Isle of Wight's 'Ring Road'. Since 2010, it has been cut in two following a collapsed section along the south coast, making access problematic.

The road starts at a roundabout in Totland, which is also the end of the B3322 and the A3054. The latter forms the northern half of the 'Ring Road'; it has the same end points as the A3055 but follows a straighter, shorter route.

The A3055 starts by heading eastwards and merges seamlessly into

... Read More
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

My favourite section of motorway would have to be the M6 between Lamcaster (J33) and Abington (J55 :twisted:)

Heading up from the Lancaster area, you can get a very clear view of the Cumbrian Fells (plus a decent view across the city of Lancaster itself!). Between J37 and J40 is undoubtedly the most scenic motorway in the British isles. You’ve got great, closeup views of the Lake District mountains (to your left) and the Pennines (to your right). North of Carlisle it’s quite easy to make out some of the mountains in southern Galloway. Then of course to round it off, you’ve got the reasonably scenic drive across the Southern Uplands and as a historian, I’m often tempted to leave at Lockerbie for Lochmaben :)

It is a good job to have this section of road on my way home to Edinburgh!
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Dan Lockton wrote:
multiraider2 wrote:
The A30 between Sutton Scotney and Salisbury. Because of the ability to usually drive at the National Speed Limit on a single carriageway and frequently very straight road. Also the fact that it has replaced the A303 as my route to the West Country.
I would also highly recommend starting a bit earlier on the unclassified stretch of former A30 between the "Micheldever Station" A303 junction, and Sutton Scotney — almost as straight, even less traffic, just as convenient.
Don't worry, that section of road is not lost on me! I don't take the A303 to Bullington Cross to get to the A30, instead I usually go via that, agreed, very good way. About the first 20 journeys I made on the A303 were of its entire length. Very sadly, it's now always just the first 2.1 miles.
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

How could it be anything other than the A19? :D

With landmarks such as the Teesside Transporter Bridge, York Minster, the Kilburn White Horse, the New Sunderland Bridge and the North York Moors clearly visible from the road, plus the feat of engineering that is the Tyne Tunnel, and you're not too far away from the Northumberland Coastline either, I'm surprised this is no-one else's favorite road!

It passes through some boring areas, yes. But I still like the A19.

As far as North of the border goes, A835 would be my favourite for Scotland
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Even though it used to take me to a job I grew to massively dislike, I love the B4246 up and over 'the tumble' between Abergavenny and Blaenavon.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
A72

Post by A72 »

M6, travelling north, through the Lune Gorge.

Then, in no particular order:
B7076, which is more interesting than the A74(M).
M90, especially the northbound section between Glenfarg and Bridge Of Earn.
A69/B6318
A9
A68
A72 8-)
B6355 going over the top of the Lammermuirs, and being able to see virtually the whole of central Scotland.
A78
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

A72 wrote:M6, travelling north, through the Lune Gorge.
It seems I neglected to mention this particular section of the M6 in my evaluation of that motorway upthread.

It really is a spectacular section of road. Especially northbound.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon