What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Octaviadriver

Re: What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

Post by Octaviadriver »

Quite near to us is the A4061 Treorchy to Ogmore Vale in the South Wales Valleys. Your cross from the Rhonnda Valley to Ogmore Vale over the mountains that lie between them and there is a sudden and noticeable contrast between the rows of terraced houses and former industries in the valleys to the open wild spaces in between. The A470 over the Beacons is nearer to home and is interesting, but the views aren't as good. A bonus on the A4061 is to take some bread to feed the sheep! You can see the road we take down below before it winds its way around the mountain in the second photo.
IM000004.JPG
IM000007.JPG
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I accept this is a bit of a controversial one, but I really enjoy the A82 (excluding the central Glasgow section). I see it's already been brought up earlier on! It passes some spectacular scenery including Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Ben Nevis. It's right up there with one of my 'all time best drives'.

More or less all of the A39 through Exmoor is also right up there and it's a 'must drive' whenever I'm on my annual pilgrimage to North Devon. It's been made synonymous in our family for this hairpin bend at Arlington that almost caught out my father over 23 years ago!

For old times sake, the A685 between Tebay and Bowes, combined with the A66 from there to Bowes. This is my first choice trans-pennine crossing and forms part of my 'traditional' route to and from Sunderland right from early childhood. It's largely clear of traffic whenever I've used it and decent scenery along the way. Barring my first car, every other car I've had has been across here, in both directions.

On a similar note, the Sunderland coast road, the A183 through Monkwearmouth, Roker and Seaburn is also a pleasant drive – which again, goes back to some of the earliest and happiest memories I have as a child (my avatar may be familiar with those who know the road from the past!).

A worthy mention also goes to the B5105 between Ruthin and Cerrigydrudion is an excellent stretch of road for someone who takes pleasure out of driving. I've still yet to take my current car along this and I've had it for almost a year, now…! I really do need an excuse to get back here at some point…
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

The B6255 from Ribbleshead to Hawes is a pretty good drive that I often find myself on on a meandering alternative to the M6.

Earlier this year I drove the A68 for the first time and found that pretty great.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

haymansafc wrote:I accept this is a bit of a controversial one, but I really enjoy the A82 (excluding the central Glasgow section). I see it's already been brought up earlier on! It passes some spectacular scenery including Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Ben Nevis. It's right up there with one of my 'all time best drives'.

The A82 is like the curates egg - good in parts and come close to being my top pick.

Dumbarton to Tarbet its a fine wide road on which traffic moves well and you have nice views of the Loch.

Tarbet to the Falls of Falloch is horrible with narrow lanes, nasty hairpins and unforgiving stone walls littered with the debris of vehicles that misjudged it. This summer I spent 20 minutes at one bend while a large coach and tanker spent lots of time making enough space to pass each other.

Crianlarich to Ballachulish is a magnificent road to drive with its only downside being the narrow bridges which if possible you try and shoot between the oncoming wide vehicles. The rest of the way to Inverness is a very scenic road and for the most part you can usually make decent progress.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Another vote for the B3306, such a scenic road, never too busy and plenty to see on the way

It can be a nightmare, but when traffic isn't too heavy, I do enjoy the A303 through the Blackdown hills, lovely scenery and the sort of road where you feel you are "driving" instead of just being in semi-autopilot.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Anywhere I can get away with 90 .... but for some specific spots defined by other criteria:

-
the descent through here for the childhood memories

- this urban approach for the spectacle (especially at night)

- this for the engineering ambition

- making use of both lanes up here

- this for straight-line thrills

- this for the single overtake

- this for the multiple overtake

- and this, for doing 90 the view
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Owain wrote:- and this, for the view
...of the speedo :P
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The roads that make up the North Coast 500 have some spectacular scenery. My favourite out of them lot is a toss up between the A832, A890 (this includes the bit not on the NC500 too), A838, A894 or the Bealach Na Ba.

For urban setting it's a toss up between the M8 through Glasgow and of course the A167(M). I'm hoping to drive the M621 & A58(M)/A64(M) as well as the Coventry Ring Road in about a week's time so they'll probably end up on the list too.

Ones nearer to me have to be the section of the A470 between the A472/A4059 roundabout and the M4 at Coryton, the adrenaline really gets pumping on that one as it's a really fun bit of road to drive. :)

My favourite Forest of Dean road is the one up Symonds Yat Rock as even though it's steep and narrow with passing places it's still a great drive when it isn't busy. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for the B4227 as well because when I was learning to drive it was the first classified road I drove on.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

Arcuarius wrote:Military Road from Freshwater Bay to Chale. One of the few major routes on the Isle of Wight not to be stuffed with traffic. I'm from the island originally and have always had a soft spot for its southern half :)
Indeed it's superb. Location for our ridiculous (in hindsight) "10 minute challenge" when we started driving "faster" cars than our first cars :D
From Norris' in Niton to Freshwater Bay car park. 13 miles - which means averaging 78mph...

I still hold the record out of our friend group in my trusty Volvo 940 Turbo with 4 up in the car, clocking in at 9 minutes and 4 seconds. I'll let you work out the average speed to achieve that! Never tried it since thanks to nearly stacking it over the cliff after out braking myself by Compton Farm chicane.

Oh to be young again :D

These were my choices from earlier in the thread:
Milly Road
Downs Road - Brading Road
Shanklin - Ventnor mountain road
Middle Road
:D
Owain wrote:...- this for the single overtake

- this for the multiple overtake

- and this, for doing 90 the view
I'm moving to Northern Ireland.

Cheers :D
Jonny
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Has to be the A39 full length from Bath to Falmouth, a classic route to the edge of Cornwall passing through great looking countryside and with completely differing types of road, from good overtaking straights to steep hills.
Worth a trip along instead of the usual M5/A30 route.
For one of the highlights, driving towards Glastonbury Tor through the Somerset Levels is hard to beat.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.16476 ... 312!8i6656
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Beardy5632 wrote:My favourite Forest of Dean road is the one up Symonds Yat Rock as even though it's steep and narrow with passing places it's still a great drive when it isn't busy. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for the B4227 as well because when I was learning to drive it was the first classified road I drove on.
The B4228 between St Briavels and Tutshill is my favourite. It's the road I used to drive on my way to school. Fond memories of bombing it down here in my Austin Metro, up here and through the woods, the view across the Severn just here, and overtaking all the other kids in all three school buses in one go just here. This was a favourite spot for taking girlfriends!

The A466 between Monmouth and Chepstow is also a gem.

Viva la Repubblica!
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Owain wrote:The A466 between Monmouth and Chepstow is also a gem.
I can't believe I forgot about the A466. :oops: :oops:
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Steve in Cumbria

Post by Steve in Cumbria »

Helvellyn wrote:The B6255 from Ribbleshead to Hawes is a pretty good drive that I often find myself on on a meandering alternative to the M6.
Agreed- great road when clear- made better by chips from the chipshop in Hawes and cheese from the Wensleydale Creamery. :D
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

B8073 on the Isle of Mull (Tobermory-Gruline via Calgary), mainly for the beauty of it and the sheer variety of scenery; the one thing it is not is monotonous. The steep hairpin bends between Dervaig and Achnadrish can also be a challenge to unprepared drivers.

On the mainland, B8007 between Salen and Achosinch, on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, is a spectacular drive through dense forest and vast open moorlands, though it's not an easy drive at all, due to the narrowness and frequent blind bends.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Owain wrote: The A466 between Monmouth and Chepstow is also a gem.
I took SWMBO down there, unclassified roads from Coleford through Newland to Redbrook with a lovely run down the side valley to Redbrook itself then down the 466 to Chepstow. She was totally gobsmacked and we will be taking a long weekend in the area in the spring.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Piatkow wrote:
Owain wrote: The A466 between Monmouth and Chepstow is also a gem.
I took SWMBO down there, unclassified roads from Coleford through Newland to Redbrook with a lovely run down the side valley to Redbrook itself then down the 466 to Chepstow. She was totally gobsmacked and we will be taking a long weekend in the area in the spring.
If you like walking in the countryside, you can park here and follow the footpath to Devil's Pulpit, from which you get a view across Tintern Abbey. More info here (although this is the long version starting in Tintern, and involves a good bit of climbing!).

This viewpoint reveals Wintor's Leap, where local rumour suggests that a Cavalier escaped the Roundheads by leaping off the cliffs on his horse during the Civil War.

The best way to enter Wales.

If you don't mind a bit of a climb (on foot!), park at the Wyndcliff parking area and follow the 99 Steps (I'm not sure if there really are 99) up to the Eagle's Nest. From there you get a view of the Wye winding its way to meet the Severn, with the old bridge in the background.

If you have time, you can also visit the Forest of Dean Sculpture Trail, which makes for a rather more leisurely walk .... just watch out for the wild boar!

Viva la Repubblica!
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Goldberg wrote:How could it be anything other than the A19? :D

With landmarks such as the Teesside Transporter Bridge, York Minster, the Kilburn White Horse, the New Sunderland Bridge and the North York Moors clearly visible from the road, plus the feat of engineering that is the Tyne Tunnel, and you're not too far away from the Northumberland Coastline either, I'm surprised this is no-one else's favorite road!

It passes through some boring areas, yes. But I still like the A19.
A good shout actually - it's also quite interesting to drive along too. I'd probably restrict the 'good' bit to A689 - Thirsk but otherwise I agree!
tompatt

Post by tompatt »

Jamesabout29 wrote:
DavidBrown wrote:For me, it'll always be the A39 between Lynton and Minehead.
Can't
quite
work
out
why!
Have to agree with this. Truly lovely road.
I also agree. If I'm not pushed for time I prefer to use it as an alternative to the dreaded North Devon Link.

Other roads I enjoy

the M6 north of Preston
The A628 Woodhead pass
The Leeds inner ring road

The B3306 is also a good shout
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Beardy5632 wrote:
Same here...! :oops: It's a terrific stretch of road and often forms part of the annual pilgrimage I make down to Devon. The A466 is very much a road of 'two halves'. From the A49 to Monmouth, it's like an open, rural country lane - albeit a bumpy one. South of Monmouth, it's like a Forrest trail, regularly going under canopy's of trees. Very picturesque indeed and not a road to 'rush' along.

We often stop off at Tintern Abbey for a quick break when passing. Monmouth is also quite a nice town if you can be bothered to crawl yourself through it! (Just avoid it on market days though!)
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

haymansafc wrote:
Beardy5632 wrote:
Same here...! :oops: It's a terrific stretch of road and often forms part of the annual pilgrimage I make down to Devon. The A466 is very much a road of 'two halves'. From the A49 to Monmouth, it's like an open, rural country lane - albeit a bumpy one. South of Monmouth, it's like a Forrest trail, regularly going under canopy's of trees. Very picturesque indeed and not a road to 'rush' along.

We often stop off at Tintern Abbey for a quick break when passing. Monmouth is also quite a nice town if you can be bothered to crawl yourself through it! (Just avoid it on market days though!)
I once driver my mother home from her sister's in South Wales via the A466. She kept her nose in the newspaper from Monmouth to Chepstow and then complained all the way along the A48 to Gloucester about how boring the route that I had chosen was!