What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rachandsarai

What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

Post by rachandsarai »

Hi guys I made this to ask u all what Ur favourite road was to travel on. The road that is my favourite one to travel on is the A9 because I like to see all the nice scenery.
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.
mark3evo

Re: What's everyone's favourite road to travel on and why?

Post by mark3evo »

Not with the A9 Dualling and average speed cameras

In Scotland for me loads but A836 ( Northwest 500) is one of my preferred
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Probably the A9 from Perth to Inverness as the scenery is fantastic and the engineering can be very impressive in places. The M90 is fun aswell. The B9006 is a rally track in places!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I assume we’re talking just UK roads here?

That is a massive question, actually. But for scenery alone, the A82 between Erskine Bridge and Fort Augustus might be a good candidate. Obviously, along there you’ve got Loch Lomond, The Trossachs NP, Glencoe, Ben Nevis, Loch Lochy, The Great Glen, Loch Ness and the like.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

B7076 is pretty high on the list. A601(M), the former A6144(M) and the former A18(M) are up there too.

Closer to home, I always smile when using the A4510, simply because in many ways it's quite ridiculous - part primary, part non-primary, part former motorway, part single carriageway, part dual with different numbers of lanes on either carriageway, roundabouts that no-one ever uses large sections of, entirely Trunk, and only possible to travel in its entirety in one direction!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: B7076 :

The B7076 runs from just south of the Anglo-Scottish border at Guards Mill (M6 junction 45) northwards to Elvanfoot (A74(M) junction 14), multiplexing on the way with the A701 Beattock bypass. Most of it was once part of the A74, and as such it rarely strays far from the motorway. It is one of the longest B roads in the UK.

[[File:View of Gretna from England - Geograph - 143084.jpg|thumb|left|Entering

... Read More
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

For me, it'll always be the A39 between Lynton and Minehead.
Can't
quite
work
out
why!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

For me, it's the A7, it's not very busy, you go through all these places that seem frozen in the fifties like Langholm and Hawick, and the improved section from the border to Langholm is excellent to drive on. It's also the only Ax road that hasn't either been replaced by a motorway or been massively upgraded.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I am torn between the A835 from Tore to Ullapool which has magnificent scenery and a is a great drivers road and my local favourite the B1257 from Stokesley to Helmsley for much the same reasons. On balance I think I would have to go for the A835 but have the consolation that I can drive B1257 any time :)
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

McNessA720 wrote:I assume we’re talking just UK roads here?

That is a massive question, actually. But for scenery alone, the A82 between Erskine Bridge and Fort Augustus might be a good candidate. Obviously, along there you’ve got Loch Lomond, The Trossachs NP, Glencoe, Ben Nevis, Loch Lochy, The Great Glen, Loch Ness and the like.
Yeah it's UK roads
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.
owen b

Post by owen b »

The best road in the UK I've ever cycled is the A884 from Lochaline to Loch Sunart. It's got my favourite ever climb from Lochaline to the col north of the B8043. It's long and gentle and you can get a good rhythym and maintain a fair pace, which suits my style. Then it's a moderate to steep descent to Loch Sunart on a fairly straight and well surfaced S1. It's easy to do 40 mph on a road bike here.

For driving it must be somewhere on the NC500. The two obvious contenders are i) A832/A835 loop Garve / Achnasheen / Kinlochewe / Gairloch / Poolewe / Dundonnell and back to the A835; ii) the main road north from Ullapool to Durness : A835 / A837 / A894 / A838. In either case you get some of the very best mountain, loch and coastal scenery in the UK on roads which are mostly S2, well surfaced and very quiet.
Owen
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

My favourite road in the UK would be the A82 between Balloch and Inverness; there is some stunning scenery, starting with Loch Lomond and ending with Loch Ness, but the most exciting section must be between Tyndrum and Ballachulish Bridge, including Rannoch Moor, Buachaille Etive Mor, the Kingshouse Inn and the Three Sisters of Glen Coe.

My favourite motorway would be the A74(M) and M74, as I count that as one motorway. I have always loved travelling through the section between Beattock and Happendon, with its views of the Lowther Hills and the upper Clyde Valley.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

My "favourite" road is the M6/A74(M)/M74 as it's my regular route on holiday - but there's no pleasure until you're north of Preston and M55.

My "best" road is the A686 Penrith-Alston-Hexham, especially in a reasonably powerful 4wd at a quiet time of year - the scenery's quite good as well!

My "nostalgic" road is the B7078 between Abington and Happendon - it's one of the few remaining stretches of the old A74 where the dual-carriageway is intact, the northbound side acting as a long lay-by at Red Moss Inn - we usually overnight there in our caravan to get us past Glasgow nice and early.
Lifelong motorhead
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

For me it is probably the B4246 because we would use it to stay with my aunt in the school holidays. My cousin and I, barely into our teens, would spend the days walking on the edge of the Brecon Beacons.

For the same reason the A40 from Raglan to Abergavenny. I still love the view of the Blorenge as I drive up that road and try and make a couple of trips in the year for some hill walking.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Possibly the A838
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

This used to be a question on the application to join Sabre and back in 2004, I put the A303 and A299. The former because it meant I would be travelling towards holiday and the later because of nostalgic reasons releating to childhood holidays in Broadstairs. Since that time my nine-month old son and yet-to-be-born daughter have become of school age and I have to travel to holidays in the school holidays. With that and generally increased traffic, the A303 has become a no-go area for me.

I'd perhaps now consider: The B3306. Because of its rural nature and views between the Penwith moorland and the Atlantic Ocean.

The A30 between Sutton Scotney and Salisbury. Because of the ability to usually drive at the National Speed Limit on a single carriageway and frequently very straight road. Also the fact that it has replaced the A303 as my route to the West Country.

The A887. A lighlty trafficed and mostly good quality road.

The A87 and The A82 at Glencoe Scenery.

But really, any road away from the City I live and work in and which is not bedevilled with traffic.
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

In England the A68 between Hexam (A69) and Jedburgh has to be one of my favourite however there are so many to chose from it's hard!!
In Scotland the A74(M) from Gretna to Glasgow
In Wales the A55 North Wales Expressway
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

CallumParry wrote:In England the A68 between Hexam (A69) and Jedburgh has to be one of my favourite however there are so many to chose from it's hard!!
In Scotland the A74(M) from Gretna to Glasgow
In Wales the A55 North Wales Expressway
Definitely the first two, although I'd say the A74(M)/M74 is a lot pleasanter and less congested south of Motherwell. Also the A70 from Lanark to Ayr, it's not heavily congested and you pass some interesting places like the abandoned village of Glenbuck and half abandoned settlements like Douglas Water and Rigside.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Glenn A wrote:Also the A70 from Lanark to Ayr, it's not heavily congested and you pass some interesting places like the abandoned village of Glenbuck and half abandoned settlements like Douglas Water and Rigside.
I would guess that the most congested point on the A70 would be the traffic lights at Hyndford Bridge. Like the A71 further north, this route has become much quieter since the extension of the M77 has made the M77 and M8 a better route for traffic from Ayrshire to Edinburgh.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

It's interesting that a few people have chosen the A82, living just quarter of a mile from it, I still enjoy driving south to Crianlarich if not Tarbet. However, going north I just find it tedious and frustrating.
I still love the A87, but think that the A939beats it, the fast moorland section from South from Nairn to Dava, then the never ending ascent from Grantown to the Well of the Lecht, via the sudden dip at Bridge of Brown, followed by the short sharp climb to the summit, before the roller coaster down hill to Cock Bridge. Then it repeats as it crosses to the stunning Gairnshiel Bridge as it descends into Deeside.

If you haven't driven it yet, I thoroughly recommend a detour next time you're up north.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A939 :

The A939 is perhaps one of the most varied and enjoyable drives Scotland has to offer, certainly of any route under 60 miles long. It starts in the fertile farmland of the Moray Firth and heads south into the Cairngorm Mountains. There are four major climbs, with the road crossing the 300m contour four times, and reaching a summit of 638m. Despite this, however, the road is often quiet, and has to give way to other routes at no less than five TOTSO junctions, with a sixth due to be

... Read More
fras

Post by fras »

Steven wrote:B7076 is pretty high on the list. A601(M), the former A6144(M) and the former A18(M) are up there too.

Closer to home, I always smile when using the A4510, simply because in many ways it's quite ridiculous - part primary, part non-primary, part former motorway, part single carriageway, part dual with different numbers of lanes on either carriageway, roundabouts that no-one ever uses large sections of, entirely Trunk, and only possible to travel in its entirety in one direction!
Me too, for the B7076, its like going back in time by about 40 years traffic-wise. Also the B7078 continuation.

From the SABRE Wiki: B7076 :

The B7076 runs from just south of the Anglo-Scottish border at Guards Mill (M6 junction 45) northwards to Elvanfoot (A74(M) junction 14), multiplexing on the way with the A701 Beattock bypass. Most of it was once part of the A74, and as such it rarely strays far from the motorway. It is one of the longest B roads in the UK.

[[File:View of Gretna from England - Geograph - 143084.jpg|thumb|left|Entering

... Read More