OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ross Spur

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Ross Spur »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 21:01 Tonight sees the remaining Seventh Series maps from 1968 uploaded, so that's another year that's been marked "green" in the relevant Coverage Project.

* Sheet 103 (Doncaster) Revision C
* Sheet 112 (Nottingham) Revision C
* Sheet 143 (Gloucester & Malvern) Revision B
* Sheet 144 (Cheltenham & Evesham) Revision B
* Sheet 161 (London NE) Revision B/*

And on the subject of the Coverage Project going green, that's now every revision ever of sheets 144 and 161 now online, taking that particular total to 68 sheets with every revision published live on SABRE Maps.

So, what do folk see on this lot?
The original B148 at Basildon (now A1235) is shown on the London NE map https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4&layer=39

Also the A12 Brentwood Bypass and A130 Great Baddow Bypass.

Thanks again for the uploads.
Ian

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the One Inch Seventh Series and associated maps.

This was the first Ordnance Survey mapping at the One Inch scale to be a single series across the whole of Great Britain, and is useful for us to have as it shows mapping at a relatively detailed scale during the major

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

A couple more sheets from 1971 online today:

Sheet 61 (Falkirk and Lanark) Revision B/*
Sheet 78 (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Revision D

There's a whole bunch of stuff under construction, of temporary terminals, and the New Towns of Washington and Livingston to enjoy!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 15:28Sheet 61 (Falkirk and Lanark) Revision B/*
Phwoarr, this one's a beauty! Half the Scottish central belt network is under construction, and there's at least two temporary terminii on the M9 that I've never seen before. Just brilliant! Thank you :D
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I need to go and re-write half the wiki now... Thanks!! :D

Interesting to see the northern bit of the A801 marked as planned, but not the rest of it.
The B roads in Cumbernauld are shown as (almost) complete earlier than I had reckoned, and still with the B8054 following the old A73 route south.
No s/b offslip on the M9 at J5, and the rather peculiar temporary route for the A905 at the same junction.
The A899 incomplete, and the far southern end not even planned.
The B9036 deflected for the M9 temp terminus.

And I've not even looked at Zone 7, which is over half the map!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Post by frediculous_biggs »

Seems strange to me that they even bothered doing a temporary terminus for the M9 near the current J1A - it's not that much of a diversion via the A8000
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
jnty

Post by jnty »

Looking at this snapshot in time the isolated stretches of M9 seem really strange, it must have made for a very disjointed north-south journey. As you say, I wonder if some of them were usually avoided or barely used as people stuck to their old routes or reckoned they didn't save any time. It seems odd that some of the first stretches weren't bypasses, given how other motorways came into existence, but I suppose if you've committed to the whole route it maybe doesn't matter.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Just a couple of days after the last set of maps uploaded, here's another set of OS One Inch Seventh Series maps, this time the final three sheets completing our coverage of all maps that were published in 1967.

They are:
* Sheet 10 (Tongue) Revision A//
* Sheet 50 (Forfar) Revision A//*
* Sheet 91 (Ripon) Revision B/*

Plenty of good stuff to look at in this lot, from the Scottish north and east coasts, to two of the Ridings of Yorkshire. Oh, and every revision of Sheet 10 is now online too. Yay!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The final two sheets from 1966 are now online, so that's yet another year gone green in the Coverage Project.

They are:
* Sheet 128 (Montgomery and Llandrindod Wells) Revision B
* Sheet 153 (Swansea) Revision C

I particularly like the A48(M), which is always nice to see!
Steven
Motorway Historian

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

rileyrob wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 16:55 Interesting to see the northern bit of the A801 marked as planned, but not the rest of it.
I think those dashed lines meant under construction?
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I have also just spotted that M9 J5 and J6 were originally paired, J5 only having south facing slips, and J6 only north, as indeed is still the case. Presumably the two extra slips were added for J5 when the A905 route to the east was completed to provide better access to the Grangemouth refinery site?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.

From the SABRE Wiki: M9 J5 :

redirect [[Cadgers Brae

... Read More
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

rileyrob wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 09:48 I have also just spotted that M9 J5 and J6 were originally paired, J5 only having south facing slips, and J6 only north, as indeed is still the case. Presumably the two extra slips were added for J5 when the A905 route to the east was completed to provide better access to the Grangemouth refinery site?
I suspect that the missing slip roads were built in 1986 or 87, and also that M9 J5 has been known by three different names.

I see the Wiki calls it Cadgers Brae Roundabout, a name I don't recall seeing before. I was under the impression it was called Inchyra, but the Wiki uses Inchyra Roundabout for the flat A904/B9143 roundabout 2km to the NNE.

(There is another flat roundabout between the two, at the A905/B9143 junction. The Wiki has pages for several roundabouts in the area, but I'm not sure whether it has a page or a name for that one.)

A few decades ago I used to visit the public and university libraries and take notes about road schemes from any sources I could find there. The magazine Surveyor had a special annual issue in which local authorities listed their forward programmes. In 1983 this was on 12 May, and the then Central Regional Council cited two new slip roads at Inchyra. The name meant nothing to me at the time and I only later discovered that it referred to a junction on the M9.

However it appears they had still not been built in 1986, as in the Official Journal of the EEC for 23.4.86 Central RC began the process of inviting tenders for new slip roads on the M9 at Grangemouth. This was further reported in Construction News for 1 May 1986 which said it referred to Beancross Junction, which appears to be a third name for M9 J5.

From the SABRE Wiki: M9 J5 :

redirect [[Cadgers Brae

... Read More
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The three councils in the former Central Region are all very good at naming their junctions and putting the names at the tops of the signs, so across Stirling, Falkirk and Clackmannanshire, the vast majority of junctions between classified roads, even some of the simple T junctions, have names on signs making life a lot easier for the Wiki! If only all of the councils did this.

I shall go and add your historical info on too, thanks.
Rob.
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

wrinkly wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 14:33 However it appears they had still not been built in 1986, as in the Official Journal of the EEC for 23.4.86 Central RC began the process of inviting tenders for new slip roads on the M9 at Grangemouth. This was further reported in Construction News for 1 May 1986 which said it referred to Beancross Junction, which appears to be a third name for M9 J5.
Thanks to the Beancross Junction reference I found the Gazette notices:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/ ... /page/1304
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/ ... /page/1948

I've not found any notice of the opening date after the 20 December 1985 notice.

With the magnifying glass I can see the new slip road at J5 on the 1987 Shell Road Map by George Philip Printers Ltd.
Ian
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The next batch has been uploaded to Maps today, completing the coverage from 1965:

* Sheet 59 (Firth of Clyde) Revision B
* Sheet 68 (Biggar, Moffat and Sanquhar) Revision B
* Sheet 75 (Dumfries and Gretna) Revision B
* Sheet 83 (Penrith) Revision B
* Sheet 86 (Redcar and Whitby) Revision B
* Sheet 88 (Barrow in Furness) Revision B
* Sheet 100 (Liverpool) Revision B/*
Steven
Motorway Historian

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Interesting contrast between the Liverpool 1965 (A580 all dual) and Manchester 1964 (A580 all single).
I know the work generally proceeded from west to east, but maybe the standard of the A580 was not fully revised there?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

In tonight's selection, we complete our coverage of maps published in 1964, with two sheets:
* Sheet 84 (Teesdale) Revision B
* Sheet 103 (Doncaster) Revision B/

And as an added bonus, we've also uploaded one of the final missing sheets from 1971:
* Sheet 100 (Liverpool) Revision C/*/*

That leaves us just two sheets from 1971 to add, so if you one of the following and are willing to donate either paper copies or map scans, then please get in touch!
* Sheet 102 (Huddersfield) Revision B/*/*
* Sheet 167 (Salisbury) Revision B
Steven
Motorway Historian

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Steven wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 16:36 In tonight's selection, we complete our coverage of maps published in 1964, with two sheets:
I note there are two possible routes for the Doncaster bypass, one for the route taken via Warmsworth and an alternate east of Balby and the A60 down to Tickhill which is pretty much my back double when the bypass is really stuffed up :)
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

KeithW wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 13:36 I note there are two possible routes for the Doncaster bypass, one for the route taken via Warmsworth and an alternate east of Balby and the A60 down to Tickhill which is pretty much my back double when the bypass is really stuffed up :)
I hadn't spotted that on the Seventh Series layer. When buying second-hand maps I would normally be gnashing the teeth at previous owners having drawn later roads in. This adds a bit of a mystery... were they the two alternate routes and so a historical record, or was it a bodge job on drawing the eastern route? It looks like they were drawn at separate times.
Ian
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

KeithW wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 13:36
Steven wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 16:36 In tonight's selection, we complete our coverage of maps published in 1964, with two sheets:
I note there are two possible routes for the Doncaster bypass, one for the route taken via Warmsworth and an alternate east of Balby and the A60 down to Tickhill which is pretty much my back double when the bypass is really stuffed up :)
I don't see the two routes - which maps are they on?
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

graeme_t wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 22:19 I don't see the two routes - which maps are they on?
It's here https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 12&layer=0
Ian