M27 smartification

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

GeekyJames

Re: M27 smartification

Post by GeekyJames »

I noticed yesterday driving eastbound at junction 8 for Southampton East no countdown markers haven been installed for some reason, meaning I nearly missed the exit - should this not be picked up before the testing phase?!

Also at Junction 5 eastbound there is a strange section of remaining hard shoulder, some of which is has armco barriers over half of it, it looks very half finished.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

GeekyJames wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 22:30I noticed yesterday driving eastbound at junction 8 for Southampton East no countdown markers haven been installed for some reason, meaning I nearly missed the exit - should this not be picked up before the testing phase?!
As it's not a lane drop, it should definitely have them. Worth reporting to National Highways, especially while the contractor is still on site.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 08:56
GeekyJames wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 22:30I noticed yesterday driving eastbound at junction 8 for Southampton East no countdown markers haven been installed for some reason, meaning I nearly missed the exit - should this not be picked up before the testing phase?!
As it's not a lane drop, it should definitely have them. Worth reporting to National Highways, especially while the contractor is still on site.
About 2006, this same problem afflicted one of the M42 ATM exits southbound.

I raised it with the project office and was told that, because one of the ERA locations was (too!) close to the exit, there was a risk of drivers mis-reading the signs and cannoning into the ERA at 70mph!

You may have a repeat on the M27 in 2022. So much for "lessons learned".
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jnty

Post by jnty »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 22:35
Chris5156 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 08:56
About 2006, this same problem afflicted one of the M42 ATM exits southbound.

I raised it with the project office and was told that, because one of the ERA locations was (too!) close to the exit, there was a risk of drivers mis-reading the signs and cannoning into the ERA at 70mph!

You may have a repeat on the M27 in 2022. So much for "lessons learned".
I'm guessing that putting a hard shoulder in on approach to the junction simply won't do on smart motorways?
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

B4444 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 19:44 . . . but not until 2023! Does that mean the barriers will need to be raised, or are the current 'new' ones too high? I remember when the A27 Emsworth concrete bypass was resurfaced, the new surface started to break up. You also get the rollercoaster effect over the bridges!
It'll be interesting how they go about the overlay, according to the Scheme page the thickness of the asphalt is 180mm. I imagine it will be less where it passes under bridges unless they plan to break out the concrete and lower the height of the road at these points. Unlike the M25 overlay in essex, which keeps being joint sealed and overlaid as the joints become exposed after a few years. They did a similar scheme on the M20 which is holding up well nearly 15 years later, although this was multi-layer overlay.
BOH

Post by BOH »

I see that the 24/7 blanket speed restriction of 60MPH between the widened junctions 4-11 has just been removed this week after around 6 months since the new stretch opened.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

BOH wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 08:46 I see that the 24/7 blanket speed restriction of 60MPH between the widened junctions 4-11 has just been removed this week after around 6 months since the new stretch opened.
It became 60mph last week of February, so it is about 4 months. This seems to be the average, the M4 J8/9 to J12 run at 60mph, from September to December last year, after the cones were taken off and IIRC the M23 was about three to four months as well.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
jackal

Post by jackal »

Confirmation that the upgrade is complete with 70mph running:

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest ... 9-06-2022/
jervi

Post by jervi »

Drove along it today & the AMIs/MSs were blank, most people seem to still be going 60 though. I was going mostly 60 along it too due to fuel costs.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

I used the M27 eastbound on Tuesday morning this week and last week. Smooth tarmac and four lanes.

As a note :The cut-back undergrowth on this stretch of newly-smartified M27 stands in contrast to the badly-overgrown bends further east, which lead traffic from Farlington Marshes four-lane up onto the northbound A3M.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Resurfacing the concrete section between Junctions 5 - 7 is set to commence in the Spring -
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/239871 ... p-forward/
BOH

Post by BOH »

GeekyJames wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 22:34 Resurfacing the concrete section between Junctions 5 - 7 is set to commence in the Spring -
I drive on this daily, is it too much to ask why this resurfacing was not done last year when the smartification was taking place? I wonder what the extra taxpayer cost is to return 18 months later to re-mobilise and and set up all the traffic management systems again :x
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

BOH wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 07:17
GeekyJames wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 22:34 Resurfacing the concrete section between Junctions 5 - 7 is set to commence in the Spring -
I drive on this daily, is it too much to ask why this resurfacing was not done last year when the smartification was taking place? I wonder what the extra taxpayer cost is to return 18 months later to re-mobilise and and set up all the traffic management systems again :x
I remain convinced there is a TM cartel that has a hold over the strategic road network.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

£82 Million surely equates to a complete replacement of the concrete rather than overlay the existing jointed concrete which will probably break out in cracks and potholes after a couple of years? I imagine the central reservation will be upgraded to a concrete barrier too to tie it in with the sections either side.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Resurfacing between J5 - 7 starts soon - another M27 contraflow...

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/traff ... re-4496303?
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Indeed, and apparently it will take 2 years to complete!! I would have thought overlaying the concrete would be much quicker? Although there are drainage repairs and a concrete barrier being fitted - why wasn't that fitted during the smart motorway works?
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Not before time. Its awfull to drive on.

Don't suppose they will reinstate the hard shoulder at the same time will they? :pig:
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB