Former A825 Gourock

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Former A825 Gourock

Post by rileyrob »

According to the Wiki, the 1976 edition of the OS Landranger map for Firth of Clyde shows the A825 in Gourock. This information seems to date back to the old Roaders Digest days, but I recently purchased a copy of said map, and it does not show the A825 in Gourock.
Does anyone else have any information to the contrary, or should I correct the Wiki?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Former A825 Gourock

Post by Steven »

rileyrob wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 09:55 According to the Wiki, the 1976 edition of the OS Landranger map for Firth of Clyde shows the A825 in Gourock. This information seems to date back to the old Roaders Digest days, but I recently purchased a copy of said map, and it does not show the A825 in Gourock.
I suspect we might be up against the old problem of people getting confused with OS map dating. Any of the A revisions will have the 1976 date on them, so it's entirely possible that someone has, say, seen the A/*/* revision (real date May 1980), noticed the 1976 copyright date on the map, and assumed that it really was from 1976.

If yours is the A revision, and it clearly doesn't show the A825, then the page needs updating.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Might be worth putting it in a dubious or similar and linking to this thread from The talk page. Another example of why we need the mediAeiki cite plugin installed and for some of the material we have to be referenced...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

c2R wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 20:28 Might be worth putting it in a dubious or similar and linking to this thread from The talk page. Another example of why we need the mediAeiki cite plugin installed and for some of the material we have to be referenced...
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't particularly clear with my original post; the 1978 revision does show the A825. This was merely a query over the earlier date.
It does seem, however, that the instance of the A825 (Gourock) is now one of the most accurately dated of later road numbers, as we can pin it down to c1977-1985.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A825 (Gourock) :

Although not shown on the 1976 sheet, the 1978 revision of the OS Landranger 1:50000 Sheet 63 of the Firth of Clyde shows the A825 as the Gourock pier road, Tarbet Street, which is now the A771. Curious. This means that the A825 was briefly the road to Gourock Bay. Most of the road didn't even exist in 1960, and was built subsequently, presumably when the pier was rebuilt. Like the road today,

... Read More