Bad speed limits

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Bad speed limits

Post by the cheesecake man »

:soapbox: 40mph limit here on A655. Compliance negligible.

Nice new dual carriageway on A57, so obviously is 50mph. We can't have road users getting from A to B quicker than on the previous S2 can we.
James

Post by James »

This is one rare NSL I would probably reduce to 30 until past the railway line
https://goo.gl/maps/r5T1thiAS6SjZ1Gs6

No obvious reason for the change at that location as all the houses look like they were built at the same time
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

James wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 20:16 This is one rare NSL I would probably reduce to 30 until past the railway line

No obvious reason for the change at that location as all the houses look like they were built at the same time
I think they used to do almost the opposite of what they do now, and put the speed limit sign where you wouldn't think to speed up unless you were a bit unhinged.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

It looks like the dual carriageway A435 between Beckett's Farm and Portway Island (M42 J3) is to be dropped from NSL to 50; temporary signs on stands have been up for months, and now roundels have been painted on the southbound carriageway (but not on the northbound at the time of writing). A 50 limit had been introduced either side of the Portway roundabout, which is signalised, and extended much too far to the south of the roundabout. Now a stretch of road of about 1.5 miles with, AFAIK, no particular safety issues, is to get the 50 treatment. They'll be coming for the Hollywood by-pass next, and I must check whether anything is happening between Portway and Mappleborough Green where the dual carriageway ends. This is Worcestershire county council, I don't think it's trunk.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

There are many "Dual Carriageways" in Greater Londonwhich now have 20 limits on them, most are routinely ignored.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:23 There are many "Dual Carriageways" in Greater Londonwhich now have 20 limits on them, most are routinely ignored.
I'm sure you're right, but the Met do have something of a reputation for turning up with the hairdryer to enforce 20 limits.

In respect of A435, I can quite imagine West Mercia police stationing a camera van in a convenient place early on, and probably raking in the fines. The road simply doesn't suggest 50.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:43
MotorwayGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:23 There are many "Dual Carriageways" in Greater Londonwhich now have 20 limits on them, most are routinely ignored.
I'm sure you're right, but the Met do have something of a reputation for turning up with the hairdryer to enforce 20 limits.

In respect of A435, I can quite imagine West Mercia police stationing a camera van in a convenient place early on, and probably raking in the fines. The road simply doesn't suggest 50.
The overbridge at Portway for starters.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
avtur

Post by avtur »

I know there is a separate thread for this but I can't help feel it deserves a mention here ... the idea of Wales introducing a blanket 20mph limit on restricted roads is simply nonsense.

The first significant problem I see is enforcement, and how will that work with all the cyclists who can easily exceed this limit and who clearly show complete disregard for any of the rules of the road. Wales has many governmental problems, putting effort into this one would be a significant misuse of resources.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 15:58 It looks like the dual carriageway A435 between Beckett's Farm and Portway Island (M42 J3) is to be dropped from NSL to 50; temporary signs on stands have been up for months, and now roundels have been painted on the southbound carriageway (but not on the northbound at the time of writing). A 50 limit had been introduced either side of the Portway roundabout, which is signalised, and extended much too far to the south of the roundabout. Now a stretch of road of about 1.5 miles with, AFAIK, no particular safety issues, is to get the 50 treatment. They'll be coming for the Hollywood by-pass next, and I must check whether anything is happening between Portway and Mappleborough Green where the dual carriageway ends. This is Worcestershire county council, I don't think it's trunk.
Crashmap shows there have been 12 KSIs in the last 5 years, 3 serious and 1 fatal. Whether or not a 50 mph limit is the correct answer to these problems is a separate question but there is a demonstrable safety problem with the road.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

avtur wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 19:03 I know there is a separate thread for this but I can't help feel it deserves a mention here ... the idea of Wales introducing a blanket 20mph limit on restricted roads is simply nonsense.

The first significant problem I see is enforcement, and how will that work with all the cyclists who can easily exceed this limit and who clearly show complete disregard for any of the rules of the road. Wales has many governmental problems, putting effort into this one would be a significant misuse of resources.
Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles. Which means that the fastest way around town in Wales may be on a horse! Though you can be done for "riding furiously" on either a horse or bicycle.
jnty

Post by jnty »

avtur wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 19:03 The first significant problem I see is enforcement, and how will that work with all the cyclists who can easily exceed this limit and who clearly show complete disregard for any of the rules of the road.
I imagine any of the very fit cyclists who are able to maintain 20mph+ yet universally "show complete disregard for the rules of the road" will no doubt still find themselves overtaken by drivers who are "otherwise law abiding".
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:43
MotorwayGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:23There are many "Dual Carriageways" in Greater Londonwhich now have 20 limits on them, most are routinely ignored.
The Met do enforce 20 limits, but the number of traffic patrols they have equipped with hairdryers standing at the side of the road can't be more than a handful, spread across a city that's 30 miles across. While I have seen one or two in the last few years, and there are occasional cameras that trigger at 20, they really aren't lurking round every corner, and the enforcement is not even nearly stringent enough to make the general flow of traffic keep to 20. "Routinely ignored" is how I'd describe them too.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

James wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 20:16 This is one rare NSL I would probably reduce to 30 until past the railway line

Looks like the 30 is just before it's houses on both sides.

Here's an NSL I'd like moved a bit further away to extend the 30. The narrowing is only temporary, it's S2 again at the top of the hill (you can just see the lines). So the top of the hill would be a better place, considering there's a 30 mph limit nearby anyway, so traffic's slowed when it reaches the narrowing rather than reaching it over a blind crest at 60.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Helvellyn wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:26

Looks like the 30 is just before it's houses on both sides.

Here's an NSL I'd like moved a bit further away to extend the 30. The narrowing is only temporary, it's S2 again at the top of the hill (you can just see the lines). So the top of the hill would be a better place, considering there's a 30 mph limit nearby anyway, so traffic's slowed when it reaches the narrowing rather than reaching it over a blind crest at 60.
Agreed - but if you moved the signs all the victimised motorists would have to spend an extra 2 seconds travelling and the sky will fall in.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 15:58 It looks like the dual carriageway A435 between Beckett's Farm and Portway Island (M42 J3) is to be dropped from NSL to 50; temporary signs on stands have been up for months, and now roundels have been painted on the southbound carriageway (but not on the northbound at the time of writing). A 50 limit had been introduced either side of the Portway roundabout, which is signalised, and extended much too far to the south of the roundabout. Now a stretch of road of about 1.5 miles with, AFAIK, no particular safety issues, is to get the 50 treatment. They'll be coming for the Hollywood by-pass next, and I must check whether anything is happening between Portway and Mappleborough Green where the dual carriageway ends. This is Worcestershire county council, I don't think it's trunk.
I drove up the A435 from the Weatheroak junction to Beckett's Farm yesterday and there are now permanent 50mph signs and painted roundels along the whole stretch. There are new derestricted signs at the entrance to the roundabout. The only other stretch of 50mph as far as I'm aware is the last few hundred yards at the bottom of Gorcott Hill where the dual carriageway ends.