M11, New Junction 7a

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Disgruntled Goat

Re: M11, New Junction 7a

Post by Disgruntled Goat »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 20:36
SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 19:50The rest of the A1025 is the other side of the A414 (and one junction south). I would have thought that Gilden Way would be renumbered to A1025, then you've only got a short multiplex with the A414. As OSM currently shows it, the A1025 multiplexes with the B183 with the B183 as the dominant number, which doesn't seem very likely.
I can't find pictures of the new signs on Gilden Way but I'd be surprised if it wasn't now numbered A1025. Is this just a case where OSM hasn't yet seen the evidence of the renumbering so they haven't updated the map?
https://youtu.be/6mNV_sQtyq4?t=126
Confirmed, A1025 has replaced the former B183 numbering.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

One of the new signs on Gilden Way is shown on the local news article in Chris' recent post. The sign at the new hamburger junction at Churchgate Street is shown with the new A1025 number.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 20:36
SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 19:50The rest of the A1025 is the other side of the A414 (and one junction south). I would have thought that Gilden Way would be renumbered to A1025, then you've only got a short multiplex with the A414. As OSM currently shows it, the A1025 multiplexes with the B183 with the B183 as the dominant number, which doesn't seem very likely.
I can't find pictures of the new signs on Gilden Way but I'd be surprised if it wasn't now numbered A1025. Is this just a case where OSM hasn't yet seen the evidence of the renumbering so they haven't updated the map?
It isn't showing as built on Google Maps apparently, just the roundabout to the very west.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I meant to go out and give the new junction a test run but forgot in the heat. It was only when I saw that this sign had been patched that I remembered. Underneath where it says Hertford it now has M11N in blue, the other side now says M11S.
https://goo.gl/maps/HAQ7dNVGRPm1GsycA

If I can sort out a camera holder I'll try and make a driving video of the new junction in use next week. Could I use this site as a host? Don't really want a Youtube account.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Big Nick wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 21:46 I meant to go out and give the new junction a test run but forgot in the heat. It was only when I saw that this sign had been patched that I remembered. Underneath where it says Hertford it now has M11N in blue, the other side now says M11S.
https://goo.gl/maps/HAQ7dNVGRPm1GsycA

If I can sort out a camera holder I'll try and make a driving video of the new junction in use next week. Could I use this site as a host? Don't really want a Youtube account.
Sorry, but we embed videos from Youtube, rather than hosting them ourselves - we'd eat through webspace and bandwidth at an even greater rate than now if we were to start hosting member videos as well!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

I used the new junction for the first time today, south bound from the M11 to head to Harlow and then back again, northbound back on the M11. The entry slip road doesn't have a lot of merging room, I'm glad I was on something with a bit of oomph. I don't fancy slower vehicles chances if a few lorries come through bunched up together in lane 1. I reckon we'll see a nervous pensioner stopped at the end of the slip waiting to pull out on to the motorway soon.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I get the impression that works are still ongoing here. I passed several yellow signs in Harlow today indicating that the M11(N) was closed and there was a diversion in place. But it wasn't, and there wasn't.
It might be an effort to break people out of the habit of driving down to 'the Harlow roundabout' and show them the new way to get on the M11 at J7A.
hanbol

Post by hanbol »

The A414 is not dominant for 3 reasons.
1. Google says so
2. The A414 should have a proper bypass (or just M11/Gilden Way)
3. I can edit what I want as a SABRE member!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

I drove through here last Thursday and can confirm it is fully open.

What I cannot understand is southbound, the junction is signed by fully overhead gantries' straight from the Smart Motorway handbook, at 1 mile, 1/2 mile and at the slip why northbound has traditional fork signs on the verge at 2/3 mile, 1/3 mile and at the slip road.

Why the different standards on the opposite carriageways.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

hanbol wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 17:10 The A414 is not dominant for 3 reasons.
1. Google says so
2. The A414 should have a proper bypass (or just M11/Gilden Way)
3. I can edit what I want as a SABRE member!
Just to point out that all the signage (when driving through today), as well as online mapping (from reliable sources) indicates that the A414 is dominant in this multiplex, and any assertion otherwise is therefore a figment of overactive imagination.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps