A601(M) Carnforth Link Road Downgrading

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rob590

Re: A601(M) Carnforth Link Road Downgrading

Post by Rob590 »

Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43
c2R wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 Another section of S2 motorway bites the dust.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/165

This, and the circulatory carriageway of the roundabout has become the B6254.

This has left the A601(M) to the north of the roundabout as an isolated stretch of motorway (for the time being).
The D2M bit that connects to the A6 should probably become a spur of the A6 now, or possibly patched to become A6(M).
A6070 might be the most appropraite classification?
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

The B6254 will be re-routed I would have thought, with the current road becoming a C or U road and the canal bridge probably getting a very light weight limit, like 2 tons, with a bus exception.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
XC70

Post by XC70 »

I have been told that the development is for a Porsche garage on land to the east of the M6 by the J35 onslip. Access will be from the - now downgraded - A601(M) S2 section.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

XC70 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 I have been told that the development is for a Porsche garage on land to the east of the M6 by the J35 onslip. Access will be from the - now downgraded - A601(M) S2 section.
And as per
Alderpoint wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 07:41 the link quoted above for commerical space.
Let it snow.
milly

Post by milly »

No changes on the ground as of 12/03/20
solocle

Post by solocle »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:55
Chris5156 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:53
c2R wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 Another section of S2 motorway bites the dust.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/165

This, and the circulatory carriageway of the roundabout has become the B6254.

This has left the A601(M) to the north of the roundabout as an isolated stretch of motorway (for the time being).
Sad news indeed. And more than a little weird that the connection between two motorways is on a B-road.
It doesn't help that Lancashire CC know bugger all about road classifications - they've managed to make the Penwortham Bypass a dog's dinner by having signs say it is the A59 in one direction and the A582 in the other.

This seems to be the same kind of sloppy work to be honest. Why only do half of the road? They're responsible for the northern half too.

Maybe they'll get the replacement signs right but given previous experience, no that'll be a shambles too. Maybe I should send them designs pro-bono just to spare my sanity.
This TRO is a bit of a clusterf***

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/913628/ttro-12.pdf

AND FURTHER, during the period of the said restriction
pedestrians, equestrians, cycles and horse drawn vehicles will be temporarily prohibited from proceeding over the following lengths of roads.
I. A601(M), Over Kellet, from its junction with B6254 Kellet Road, to its junction with M6 Junction 35 Roundabout
II. A601(M) Junction 35Roundabout for its full circumference
vlad

Post by vlad »

It's when the restriction ends and so pedestrians and horses are allowed on the motorway that it's time to worry. :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Hang on......

If you go to Google Maps and scroll, you might still see the southern part of A601(M) appear.

I only meant by the symbol.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

If anyone gets hold of the chopsticks signs, legitimately or otherwise, can you put them in their rightful place... Derby! It'd get the locals talking if you upgraded Lara Croft Way to motorway overnight :D
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

XC70

Post by XC70 »

vlad wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 21:06 It's when the restriction ends and so pedestrians and horses are allowed on the motorway that it's time to worry. :)
Surely this is only referring to the section which is being downgraded? So when the restriction ends, bikes can go along the road and round the roundabout but won't be able to join the M6 or the A601M down to the A6 junction as these will remain special roads?

Am I to assume that the use of the word temporary means that they intend to allow bikes et al along here after April 2021?
solocle

Post by solocle »

XC70 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 22:02
vlad wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 21:06 It's when the restriction ends and so pedestrians and horses are allowed on the motorway that it's time to worry. :)
Surely this is only referring to the section which is being downgraded? So when the restriction ends, bikes can go along the road and round the roundabout but won't be able to join the M6 or the A601M down to the A6 junction as these will remain special roads?

Am I to assume that the use of the word temporary means that they intend to allow bikes et al along here after April 2021?
Looks that way (and it makes sense if they're doing development).

It has to be said, the A601(M) offers an attractive route for cutting the corner to the A6, instead of going through Carnforth.

The question is will the signage be as confusing? Because if they don't put up chopsticks for the M6, or the still-motorway bit of the A601(M)...
milly

Post by milly »

Well the A601(M) spur to the B6254, kellet road has finally been downgraded.
On Open Street Map the spur and roundabout are now part of the B6254. No changes on Google maps yet.
Work should be starting on the new car dealership shortly. Hope to drive up there soon to see if there are any changes on the ground.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

milly wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 01:27 Well the A601(M) spur to the B6254, kellet road has finally been downgraded.
On Open Street Map the spur and roundabout are now part of the B6254. No changes on Google maps yet.
Work should be starting on the new car dealership shortly. Hope to drive up there soon to see if there are any changes on the ground.
Looks like someone on OSM has jumped the gun.

Been along there today and no changes at all on the ground.

Work has started on the dealership using the existing entrance on Kellet Road.

If the link has been downgraded then it will be interesting with the signs still saying the limit is 70.

If you get a clear run around the roundabout and have your vehicle in the correct gear ( not 5th or 6th ) it is quite possible to hit 70 on the link as I have done it in my basic diesel without thrashing the engine.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Faith the signs will be correct: 0% :lol:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Pendlemac wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 18:38
milly wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 01:27 Well the A601(M) spur to the B6254, kellet road has finally been downgraded.

Work has started on the dealership using the existing entrance on Kellet Road.

If the link has been downgraded then it will be interesting with the signs still saying the limit is 70.

If you get a clear run around the roundabout and have your vehicle in the correct gear ( not 5th or 6th ) it is quite possible to hit 70 on the link as I have done it in my basic diesel without thrashing the engine.
Tricky one - the legislation was published a while ago (see earlier in the thread), so it is technically a B road. However, OSM policy I believe is to reflect what is on the ground rather than what is published.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 23:50 Faith the signs will be correct: 0% :lol:
I agree, most of the signs are already a botch up job :D
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

c2R wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 00:19
Pendlemac wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 18:38

( Cut my own words to reduce quoted text )
Tricky one - the legislation was published a while ago (see earlier in the thread), so it is technically a B road. However, OSM policy I believe is to reflect what is on the ground rather than what is published.
In that case why has OSM been changed when what is actually on the ground hasn't changed? :confused:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Pendlemac wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 15:55 In that case why has OSM been changed when what is actually on the ground hasn't changed? :confused:
It's a community based mapping initiative and there are differing views, so I suspect someone who wants it to be legally accurate has adjusted it. It's a debate really to have on their forums.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

On the other hand ... if they replace the signs with new ones rather than just patching them, I'd give at least 80% on them being less incorrect than the ones that are there now!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Stevie D wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 17:44
On the other hand ... if they replace the signs with new ones rather than just patching them, I'd give at least 80% on them being less incorrect than the ones that are there now!
Logic loop. Bryn shuts down.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck