Highest RCS mileage ever.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rillington

Re: Highest RCS mileage ever.

Post by Rillington »

NICK 647063 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 22:01 Brackets aren’t used on modern RCS, the mileage to London is via the A303 which again on older RCS would be in brackets but these days aren’t.... I will give you another example here of the modern layout https://goo.gl/maps/bQExXYYRYP7dKsmo6 On old RCS Leeds would be brackets via A64, Hull brackets via M62 and Doncaster not brackets, these days brackets don’t happen.
The SABRE Wikipedia article on RCSs states that before the introduction of the ''Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1994'', destinations reachable via a further, differently numbered routes were indicated between parentheses (see photographs).

I presume that RCS boards with brackets will have stopped being used at that time.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

c2R wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 22:48 Cork 238 km is the longest I can think of in Ireland, on the N7 south just outside Dublin.

Dublin is 259 km (162mi) when leaving Westport on the N5:

Also high is Dublin 236 km leaving Letterkenny on the N56
I can beat all of those! Dublin 269 km (167 mi) on the N22. I'd be surprised if that's not the highest RCS mileage in the entire country.
B4444

Post by B4444 »

Another oddity
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

This is the highest I've found on the E4 so far - Sundsvall 655 at Haparanda. Stockholm appears not to be signed until after Sundsvall so you don't seem to get extreme distances.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 08:49 This is the highest I've found on the E4 so far - Sundsvall 655 at Haparanda. Stockholm appears not to be signed until after Sundsvall so you don't seem to get extreme distances.
What I like about that location is the "Welcome to Sweden" provided by a giant IKEA store right by the border. Now I need to check if there's a Volvo dealership next door :D
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Here is a [London] 503.9 [km] sign in Cumbria. :D
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Is this sign, on the A9 heading north after the A95 at Granish, perhaps a contender for largest gap between two distances on an RCS?

Inverness 29
Thurso 144

You've got an increment of 115 there.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
solocle

Post by solocle »

Osthagen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 00:33 Is this sign, on the A9 heading north after the A95 at Granish, perhaps a contender for largest gap between two distances on an RCS?

Inverness 29
Thurso 144

You've got an increment of 115 there.
Also worth noting this one is pretty similar.
And when you get there, there's an NC500 RCS with Ullapool 170
FosseWay wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 08:49 This is the highest I've found on the E4 so far - Sundsvall 655 at Haparanda. Stockholm appears not to be signed until after Sundsvall so you don't seem to get extreme distances.
That just pips this one on the E40:

But what about this one? :lol:
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I found another giving the distance to Kyiv in the 600s on the Polish/Ukrainian border. The Ukrainian signage system appears not to give distances to anywhere beyond Kyiv from any direction, so despite the country's size you don't, for example, get distances to Kharkiv from Lviv or Odesa.

The obvious country to look at for stratospheric RCS distances is Russia, but they don't seem to go in for RCSs at all. At least the M1 leaving Belarus, the E18 crossing the Finnish border and the main route north/west out of Vladivostok appear to lack them.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

This one has five destinations, four having three figures and one having four figures. It is in the middle of nowhere (OK, it is in South Australia, a few hundred metres from the border with Western Australia).

Another one from South Australia. Apart from Alice Springs, none of the destinations metioned has a population exceeding 5000!
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Vierwielen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 09:02 This one has five destinations, four having three figures and one having four figures. It is in the middle of nowhere (OK, it is in South Australia, a few hundred metres from the border with Western Australia).
The longest distance on an Australian RCS I am aware of is this one leaving Brisbane on Warrego Highway. It's a bit silly though as Darwin is not followed up consistently on RCS further down the route - only the next 3 or 4, but not beyond.

As for large gaps in distances, there are some silly RCS on Great Eastern Highway in WA, e.g.
https://goo.gl/maps/MNtKTUguWFJpnzAK8
https://goo.gl/maps/3XFawwwCr9cQaAdw6
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

An honourable mention for this RCS on the A14 which lists Felixtowe 127 and Harwich 145, which IIRC is one of the few times you'll see two 3-figure mileages on an English RCS
Built for comfort, not speed.
solocle

Post by solocle »

FosseWay wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 08:56 I found another giving the distance to Kyiv in the 600s on the Polish/Ukrainian border. The Ukrainian signage system appears not to give distances to anywhere beyond Kyiv from any direction, so despite the country's size you don't, for example, get distances to Kharkiv from Lviv or Odesa.

The obvious country to look at for stratospheric RCS distances is Russia, but they don't seem to go in for RCSs at all. At least the M1 leaving Belarus, the E18 crossing the Finnish border and the main route north/west out of Vladivostok appear to lack them.
I just tried the other side of Ukraine, and, while not stratospheric, this is the E105 just after crossing from Belgorod to Kharkiv oblasts.
If you don't read Cyrillic:
Kharkiv - 38, Poltava - 191, Kyiv - 519, Sumy - 223, Dnipropetrovs'k (Dnipro) - 262, Zaporizhzhia - 336, Simferopol - 701, Luhansk -368, Donetsk - 321, Rostov-on-Don - 525.

This is the order on the sign:
vlad

Post by vlad »

This sign in Russia isn't quite an RCS but it still shows the distance to three places:

Kola 3.1 km
Cerebryansk power station 135 km
St Petersburg 1382 km
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

solocle wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:02
FosseWay wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 08:56 I found another giving the distance to Kyiv in the 600s on the Polish/Ukrainian border. The Ukrainian signage system appears not to give distances to anywhere beyond Kyiv from any direction, so despite the country's size you don't, for example, get distances to Kharkiv from Lviv or Odesa.

I just tried the other side of Ukraine, and, while not stratospheric, this is the E105 just after crossing from Belgorod to Kharkiv oblasts.
If you don't read Cyrillic:
Kharkiv - 38, Poltava - 191, Kyiv - 519, Sumy - 223, Dnipropetrovs'k (Dnipro) - 262, Zaporizhzhia - 336, Simferopol - 701, Luhansk -368, Donetsk - 321, Rostov-on-Don - 525.

This is the order on the sign:
Signs like these with the destinations not in distance order confuse the hell out of me - and not just because I can't read Cyrillic or speak Ukrainian. However, it's a good reminder how confusing similar signs in English would appear to travellers who aren't native English speakers.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 03:32 Signs like these with the destinations not in distance order confuse the hell out of me - and not just because I can't read Cyrillic or speak Ukrainian. However, it's a good reminder how confusing similar signs in English would appear to travellers who aren't native English speakers.
There is some logic to the order, but you need to have a grasp of Ukrainian geography to fathom it. Kharkiv, Poltava and Kyiv are all in the same direction, using the same road, in order of increasing distance. Likewise Dnipro(petrovsk), Zaporizhzhia and Simferopol. Donetsk is also on the way to Rostov. That leaves Sumi and Luhansk as standalone destinations that aren't reached by going through any of the others. I'm not sure whether there is any logic, or if so what it is, to the order of the routes, other than listing the one that goes to the capital first and the one that ends up leaving the country altogether last. Also the choice of routes altogether - why cover the roads to Crimea and Rostov but not, for example, Kryvy Rih - Mykolaiv - Odesa?

Nevertheless, the concept of grouping destinations that can be reached along the same road is not especially more confusing than listing them alphabetically or in order of increasing distance, or putting the capital first and then listing them in either of these ways. Ultimately RCSs are only of any use if you're expecting a given name on them, or conversely if you know for certain that you shouldn't be heading for a given place, so you've got confirmation that you've gone the wrong way. This is really where that Ukrainian sign fails - it's far too long. Many long distance drivers there will be heading to Dnipro by default, because it's in the middle of the country and at the hub of a number of routes to places further afield. But you've got to read half a dozen other places at 90 km/h first.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:40There is some logic to the order, but you need to have a grasp of Ukrainian geography to fathom it. Kharkiv, Poltava and Kyiv are all in the same direction, using the same road, in order of increasing distance. Likewise Dnipro(petrovsk), Zaporizhzhia and Simferopol. Donetsk is also on the way to Rostov. That leaves Sumi and Luhansk as standalone destinations that aren't reached by going through any of the others. I'm not sure whether there is any logic, or if so what it is, to the order of the routes, other than listing the one that goes to the capital first and the one that ends up leaving the country altogether last. Also the choice of routes altogether - why cover the roads to Crimea and Rostov but not, for example, Kryvy Rih - Mykolaiv - Odesa?
The logic would be plainer, and the sign easier to read, if it broke up the list into blocks using the different routes as headings. Most countries that use RCS do this.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Certainly the A1 would be a contender for pretty high numbers if we followed examples elsewhere like

Spain, the A6 at A Coruna giving Madrid 559

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.24548 ... 384!8i8192

France, the A10 at Bordeaux giving Paris 571

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.89199 ... 384!8i8192
Last edited by exiled on Fri Aug 05, 2022 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

exiled wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 14:48 Certainly the A1 would be a contender for pretty high numbers if we followed examples elsewhere like

Spain, the A6 at A Coruna giving Madrid 559

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.24548 ... 384!8i8192
The sign on the opposite side of the road is for Exit 560 (ie 560 km from MAdrid).
solocle

Post by solocle »

Found this one on an old stack exchange thread:
B1994214-16B0-4E04-B386-73FE4FE9A7C7.jpeg