Signed route back on

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Signed route back on

Post by the cheesecake man »

When you leave a dual carriageway at a grade separated junction you very often reach a roundabout or similar with a helpful sign like this random example showing the routes available in the conventional manner. There's also an exit from the roundabout back on the dual carriageway and this is shown but is not labelled.

So leaving the M18 northbound at junction 2 the roundabout sign offers you A1(M) north or south but straight on back to the M18 isn't labelled.

But leaving the M18 southbound here the option to return to the M18 is shown.

Why? Are there any other examples of this?
Nathan_A_RF

Re: Signed route back on

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Botch surely. There is no real reason why a grade separated junction can't show that with the simple diagrams as per your first links.
Here is an example near me. No reason here and would save a load of space on the sign.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:18 Botch surely. There is no real reason why a grade separated junction can't show that with the simple diagrams as per your first links.
Here is an example near me. No reason here and would save a load of space on the sign.
Ewww that one you shared is horrid.

I personally think that signage of dumbbell junctions need be altered. Currently in most circumstances you cannot show both roundabouts, however there must be a simple and easily understandable way of showing a standard dumbbell interchange.

OP, yeah thats a botch.

Some odd GSJ examples I know of:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.06735 ... 312!8i6656 - Has signed back onto the Main route, although here it is needed since its two GSJs weaved into each other.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.15861 ... 312!8i6656 - Leaving Gatwick Terminal shows the M23 Spur / A23 Spur as a GSJ, although it is just a normal roundabout
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.12761 ... 312!8i6656 - this sign seems to completely ignore the GSJ, and doesn't even show the road exists to the south! The other direction again doesn't show the GSJ but does show the southern arm.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.13261 ... 312!8i6656 - Round seems to of turned into square, and apparently the GSJ only appears on the right, but not left! - Also is meant to be non-primary. This sign may soon be gone since they are replacing the limited access junction adjacent to that sign. The sign approaching from the other direction was basically the same, however was replaced a few years ago with the introduction of a new roundabout.
vlad

Post by vlad »

There's this one here, on the A53.

The reason it shows the road ahead is cos the sign is a false-colour copy of an older sign (go back in time and you'll see it) which was put up before the flyover was put in. Either that or the Council knew there'd be the constant structural problems the flyover is having and so kept it there for when all traffic was forced to use the roundabout. :twisted:

There's something similar coming the other way.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:11 But leaving the M18 southbound here the option to return to the M18 is shown.
I wonder if they're expecting people leaving in error wanting the M1 - they see A1(M) but aren't really paying attention and think it said M1 so take the exit. Then they get here and there's a clear sign that the M1 is straight on.
The sign on the other side of the roundabout (for traffic exiting the westbound M18) does not sign the route back on to the M18, which would agree with that suggestion.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

jervi wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:39
Nathan_A_RF wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:18 Botch surely. There is no real reason why a grade separated junction can't show that with the simple diagrams as per your first links.

I personally think that signage of dumbbell junctions need be altered. Currently in most circumstances you cannot show both roundabouts, however there must be a simple and easily understandable way of showing a standard dumbbell interchange.
It's also botched as the hole in the second roundabout is not in the right place. Have the designers never driven a car!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I hate this one, but understand why it's there, as there is a sliproad that joins the M25 offslip: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.44162 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

c2R wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 07:52
jervi wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:39

It's also botched as the hole in the second roundabout is not in the right place. Have the designers never driven a car!
Problem is, which is the second roundabout? There is no indication on the sign of where you are approaching from.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
the cheesecake man

SteelCamel wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 22:07
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:11 But leaving the M18 southbound here the option to return to the M18 is shown.
I wonder if they're expecting people leaving in error wanting the M1 - they see A1(M) but aren't really paying attention and think it said M1 so take the exit. Then they get here and there's a clear sign that the M1 is straight on.
The sign on the other side of the roundabout (for traffic exiting the westbound M18) does not sign the route back on to the M18, which would agree with that suggestion.
That's an interesting suggestion. The only idea I had was that it was done for high vehicles avoiding the flyover in strong wind, but that doesn't make sense in one direction only.

I noticed today the unusual inclusion of M1 on the exit sign and this seems to support your idea :applause:
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

And it should say "London, Sevenoaks A21" as Tonbridge is not a primary destination. :-P

There's this on the A31/A338 junction for Bournemouth. Two reasons I can think of - a) the junction was previously a standard roundabout, and this sign is just a copy of the existing one, and/or b) the slip road from the previous junction for the B3081 has only just merged in, and traffic wanting the A31 might not have been able to get into the correct lanes in time.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

M6 J29
M74 J13 including signed route back the other way. Other direction does the same.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Big L wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 09:30M74 J13 including signed route back the other way. Other direction does the same.
All I can think of for that one is that it may be to help drivers going to the service station remember the route back onto the motorway. But it's a pretty weak reason!
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Not quite the same, but after passing this gantry for "Southampton, Fareham M27", traffic on the slip road passes a sign for "Fareham, Southampton A27" (also seen in the link).
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
the cheesecake man

I spotted this one at M1 J37, complete with wrong font.

My guess here is that some inattentive drivers wanting Manchester and intending to use M1 and M62 might leave by mistake on seeing the Manchester A628 sign.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 I spotted this one at M1 J37, complete with wrong font.

My guess here is that some inattentive drivers wanting Manchester and intending to use M1 and M62 might leave by mistake on seeing the Manchester A628 sign.
It also offers a way to Manchester avoiding the low bridge.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

This one was mentioned in another thread I contributed to. The A31/A331 junction ADS gives you the route back to the A31 London, that you just left. Definitely a case for a stub arm here.
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

That one is an exceptional case though, as the straight on option is usually returning to the dual carriageway, but instead it's the right hand arm here. I think a sensible decision.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Not quite the same, but there's a sign basically pointing to the southbound carriageway on the northbound A90 (and indeed the reverse heading southbound). I do remember reading a piece about the reasoning behind this junction (basically trying to permit safe access to the tractor and truck dealers without going to the expense of having a GSJ), but have no idea where I may need to look to find that again now.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

M5/M50 junction, although that's signed in that way due to the exit slip of the services joining the sliproad.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
jnty

Post by jnty »

orudge wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 16:37 Not quite the same, but there's a sign basically pointing to the southbound carriageway on the northbound A90 (and indeed the reverse heading southbound). I do remember reading a piece about the reasoning behind this junction (basically trying to permit safe access to the tractor and truck dealers without going to the expense of having a GSJ), but have no idea where I may need to look to find that again now.
As you sort of say these are both straightforwardly for right turning traffic coming coming from the dealership and from the LILO respectively are they not?