Signed route back on

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

orudge
Site Manager

Re: Signed route back on

Post by orudge »

Basically, yes. I believe when the road was dualled originally there was just a simple crossroads, then at some point later on the direct right turns were removed and signed U-turns introduced.
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 20:29
SteelCamel wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 22:07
the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:11 But leaving the M18 southbound here the option to return to the M18 is shown.
I wonder if they're expecting people leaving in error wanting the M1 - they see A1(M) but aren't really paying attention and think it said M1 so take the exit. Then they get here and there's a clear sign that the M1 is straight on.
The sign on the other side of the roundabout (for traffic exiting the westbound M18) does not sign the route back on to the M18, which would agree with that suggestion.
That's an interesting suggestion. The only idea I had was that it was done for high vehicles avoiding the flyover in strong wind, but that doesn't make sense in one direction only.

I noticed today the unusual inclusion of M1 on the exit sign and this seems to support your idea :applause:
They went to the effort of showing the M1 in the through destination list but not the number of motorway you're actually on. Surely that would help :confused:
solocle

Post by solocle »

c2R wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 08:01 I hate this one, but understand why it's there, as there is a sliproad that joins the M25 offslip: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.44162 ... 312!8i6656
That's hardly a slip road, that's the A30.

I actually went wrong here - I wanted Staines, but on leaving Egham the exit I wanted was signed for Chertsey, which I knew was too far south, and thus ended up on that stretch of road. If I'd carried straight on there, well.

Having the advance warning meant I didn't have to parse the 5 lanes guidance sign and then get over a lane, but could already prepare.
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

IMG_20201214_234035.jpg
As there is a low bridge (4.3 m) under the GSJ, this is somewhat necessary.

The above is certainly better than the previous sign: https://maps.app.goo.gl/n65yR66jPUGGizoM8
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

orudge wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 16:37 Not quite the same, but there's a sign basically pointing to the southbound carriageway on the northbound A90 (and indeed the reverse heading southbound). I do remember reading a piece about the reasoning behind this junction (basically trying to permit safe access to the tractor and truck dealers without going to the expense of having a GSJ), but have no idea where I may need to look to find that again now.
Somewhat similar on the A8 dualling in Northern Ireland, heading Larne direction you can head left to swing back across the carriageways to head the opposite way to Belfast. This was to allow local traffic entrances to be LILO https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.70892 ... 384!8i8192 . One on the other direction where a local road junction was repurposed for this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.71561 ... 384!8i8192

I'm not sure I like this as a lot of traffic using this road would be HGV, and having an HGV hanging over the centre of a dual carraigeway is a danger, also local farm traffic that it is catering for would be typically tractors with trailers. There is a roundabout a short distance either side of these that hopefully sensible long vehicle drivers would use.
jnty

Post by jnty »

wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 15:22
orudge wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 16:37 Not quite the same, but there's a sign basically pointing to the southbound carriageway on the northbound A90 (and indeed the reverse heading southbound). I do remember reading a piece about the reasoning behind this junction (basically trying to permit safe access to the tractor and truck dealers without going to the expense of having a GSJ), but have no idea where I may need to look to find that again now.
Somewhat similar on the A8 dualling in Northern Ireland, heading Larne direction you can head left to swing back across the carriageways to head the opposite way to Belfast. This was to allow local traffic entrances to be LILO https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.70892 ... 384!8i8192 . One on the other direction where a local road junction was repurposed for this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.71561 ... 384!8i8192

I'm not sure I like this as a lot of traffic using this road would be HGV, and having an HGV hanging over the centre of a dual carraigeway is a danger, also local farm traffic that it is catering for would be typically tractors with trailers. There is a roundabout a short distance either side of these that hopefully sensible long vehicle drivers would use.
According to Google Maps that arrangement saves drivers 2 minutes versus the roundabout, and that assumes no waiting in the central reservation which is unlikely I'd imagine. Surprising decision to invest in all that rather than just close the gap and let people use the roundabouts, and particularly surprising to do it without providing a central waiting area long enough for all vehicles.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

jnty wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 15:40
wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 15:22

According to Google Maps that arrangement saves drivers 2 minutes versus the roundabout, and that assumes no waiting in the central reservation which is unlikely I'd imagine. Surprising decision to invest in all that rather than just close the gap and let people use the roundabouts, and particularly surprising to do it without providing a central waiting area long enough for all vehicles.
I had to double check in case they were in place before the roundabouts, but no they were part of the same dualling project that added roundabouts at either end.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

During a rare use of M1 J34 I spotted it has one.. Perhaps because the route isn't obvious, requiring use of the lower deck of Tinsley Viaduct. Or possibly for tall vehicles avoiding the top deck in high wind. But if there is a good reason why isn't this done southbound? :confused:
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

I spotted this one on the A299 the other day.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Chieveley Interchange, obviously services and hotels need to be signed but not Newbury.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo