Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WhiteBlueRed

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

Here in Russia, if there's no pedestrian signal, you obey the regular traffic light in your direction. Red means don't cross, green means cross, and amber means do not start to cross.
Drivers must give way to pedestrians before turning, even if there are no marked/signed crossings.
I'm guessing that in this case, the cars have priority in the UK?
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

Well, with the new highway code. All cars must give way to pedestrians crossing at junctions. The junctions included are junctions without traffic lights and some with traffic signals but without the pedestrian crossing section Although, not many people do know this and often don't stop for pedestrians.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 13:07 Rare installation here mellors with countdown timers retrofitted which I've never seen. I don't know why they didn't just change the pedestrian heads though to modular or refurbish the whole site. Also notice how they've used multiple types of countdown heads.
I saw the same outside Victoria Station last week
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

These signals facing a small cul-de-sac have louvres on all three aspects, as did the previous signals they replaced. The only reason I can think is someone in the past complained about the glare into their houses but I've never seen such a setup used for this anywhere else.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 22:04 These signals facing a small cul-de-sac have louvres on all three aspects, as did the previous signals they replaced. The only reason I can think is someone in the past complained about the glare into their houses but I've never seen such a setup used for this anywhere else.
This one has the same setup. They are very odd looking when they have them on all 3. But then again I'm just not keen on them in general. Those other 3M ones they had in America were much better.
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

L.J.D wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 13:08 This one has the same setup. They are very odd looking when they have them on all 3. But then again I'm just not keen on them in general. Those other 3M ones they had in America were much better.
It's quite strange that traffic turning onto this road has to give way as soon as they're out of the junction. If turning flows are substantial, this might cause them to stop in the middle of the intersection. It would make more sense for the other roads to give way to traffic turning into the road.
In the US, as an alternative to louvres, they have something known as "programmable visibility". Unlike louvres, which are placed in front of signal aspects, programmable visibility involves the application of tape on the diffuser lens from the back of the signal. This tape is silver on the side facing the lightbulb, and black on the other side. This results in the aspect only being visible from an angle at which the tape doesn't obscure it.
Image Image
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

While it's a brilliant idea, the problem with the PV products from 3M and McCain is that once you've masked it, it's pretty much stuck like that. And they weigh a tonne. And they cost a fortune.

The best of the bunch was the Optisoft/Intelight ESB which did the masking through an LED board, but unfortunately they just never took off in quite the same way.

The US is seeing most 3Ms removed and replaced with louvred regular signal head. A company called Pelco make a louvre which is probably one of the best I've seen.

Interestingly, there's a signal available on the Japanese market which essentially has a tiny louvre on every LED. This basically achieves a similar result to the PV heads, but allows the housing to remain pretty much completely flat. They're impressive, too.

Back to UK signals with louvres though, this is
a pair
that I've never quite managed to get my head around.
Simon
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 15:29 Back to UK signals with louvres though, this is
a pair
that I've never quite managed to get my head around.
Looking at historical satellite imagery, it would appear the bridge was replaced in around 2000. It's possible that the old bridge had a crossing on it that would explain why these exist.

Going back to 2009 the old Mellors on the left-turn lane had the rare style of arrow.
Attachments
Aintree2000.jpg
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Birmingham is currently getting a new tram extension, and this pedestrian signal was install some months back, I imagine the box is temporary, but why is it that height? :laugh:

ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 18:36Looking at historical satellite imagery, it would appear the bridge was replaced in around 2000. It's possible that the old bridge had a crossing on it that would explain why these exist.
Those signals were installed new with that bridge, and I don't believe there was anything there beforehand. I think I've mentioned those before in the 'newest Mellors' conversations as being one of the last big schemes where I saw Siemens Mellors being installed. I ended up with one of the old Varitext arrow ones from the left turn slip there.

My only guess has always been that these two heads in particular have persistent problems with sun phantom, though I'd have expected them to have been replaced for something with a SIRA lens almost as soon as they became available if that was the case.
ReissOmari wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 19:56 Birmingham is currently getting a new tram extension, and this pedestrian signal was install some months back, I imagine the box is temporary, but why is it that height? :laugh:
It's almost as if there isn't an industry standard and routinely used set of products available to achieve that :roll: Presumably this will be classed as temporary, and therefore isn't compliant with the regulations regarding it ultimately being mounted as though it was permanent. Having said that, I'm not sure it complies with the regulations regarding portable signals either at that height! :lol:
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Here is a rare one it's a crossing for cycles only you'd have thought they'd have made it a toucan I know there's a crossing point further down but it's an odd setup. I'm sure there is probably more of the same in London but it's rare in terms of outside of London.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Interesting. Wouldn't have cost much more to at least add a parallel pedestrian crossing surely?
traffic-light-man

The most bizarre part is that somebody thought it needed zig zags...
Simon
jervi

Post by jervi »

L.J.D wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 04:40 Here is a rare one it's a crossing for cycles only you'd have thought they'd have made it a toucan I know there's a crossing point further down but it's an odd setup. I'm sure there is probably more of the same in London but it's rare in terms of outside of London.
Really ought to had a pedestrian crossing with it, especially since there wouldn't be any conflicts if they put it on the Southern side.

Its also time for a "signalised parallel" / "segregated toucan" / "Pedex" crossing to be prescribed.
Current each one needs authorisation - https://assets.dft.gov.uk/trafficauths/case-5032.pdf
traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 22:01 The most bizarre part is that somebody thought it needed zig zags...
Personally, I think crossings whether used only by cycles, or not should have zig zags. It raises awareness to the driver of the crossing & prevents parking on the approaches/exits.
traffic-light-man

jervi wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 02:26Its also time for a "signalised parallel" / "segregated toucan" / "Pedex" crossing to be prescribed.
Current each one needs authorisation - link
Pedex crossings are already prescribed, and parallel crossings do not need to be prescribed. A 'traditional' parallel cycle/pedestrian crossing is, technically speaking, a regular cross roads with some TROs to make some arms cycles only and to ban turns across the pedestrian crossing that's on one arm of the 'junction'. Guidance on them first appeared in 1986, though the cycle signals themselves were only prescribed in 1994.

The recent raft of authorisations is, AIUI, authorising the combination of road markings including the use of the zig zags, and which also removes the need to make the distinction of the cycle-only arms. I'd still be applying for a TRO to ban the cycle turns across the pedestrian crossing which I don't believe is something I've seen on one of these 'Sparrow' crossings yet. I suspect the current incarnation will make their way into the regulations at some point though, there seems to be plenty of blanket authorisations being issued for them.

I do think those shared surfaces in that KMBC example undermine the point of the crossing, though.
Simon
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Just curious if anyone knows of any wide pedestrian crossings or crossings on corners. I know of this example here. It looks like a junction but functionally it is a pedestrian crossing and as mentioned here once had a flashing amber. Seems to be basically two separate crossings now and the zig-zags were removed to possibly avoid new regulations and reclassify it as a junction I assume. Does anyone else know of any examples like this and whether this should have been allowed in the first place?
tom66

Post by tom66 »

AlexBr967 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 02:44 Just curious if anyone knows of any wide pedestrian crossings or crossings on corners. I know of this example here. It looks like a junction but functionally it is a pedestrian crossing and as mentioned here once had a flashing amber. Seems to be basically two separate crossings now and the zig-zags were removed to possibly avoid new regulations and reclassify it as a junction I assume. Does anyone else know of any examples like this and whether this should have been allowed in the first place?
This set in Leeds?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79599 ... 384!8i8192

It's necessarily wide: at clocking-off time there's a huge amount of ped traffic going to the station that way.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

There is this pair in Hastings, I believe always working in tandem as one crossing
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85649 ... 384!8i8192
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This one in Bexleyheath is on a corner.
traffic-light-man

There's two on corners in Liverpool City Centre, here and here. Both operate as a junction though (in fact the latter is also shuttle working, so definitely not a crossing), and both have a 3rd arm for access to the pedestrian zone so I'm not sure if they really count.

The pair of pedestrian studs must be parallel at a crossing point to be compliant with the regs, so the original York example was pushing the boat out a fair way. I don't even think they'd authorise a different layout to the studs because arguably you'd be trying to amend something that already exists in the regs.

I remember someone posting an example of an entry point to a one-way system which just had three rows of studs to make a triangular crossing area. All the traffic phases/approaches ran together as well, if I recall correctly. That'd be a good one for the list!

Here's a wide example. Used to have halogen nearsides which had three symbols for each aspect. I can try and find a photo if anyone's interested in seeing those.
Simon