Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by traffic-light-man »

L.J.D wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 20:17They were awesome. We're they connected to the controller or did they work like the countdown timers like stand alone displaying the Amber arrow. Must of been quite complex to set up. Thanks for the video though its nice to see one in action as they are a thing of the past now like you say.
It's actually pretty simple and even easier than the timers. This just has a connection between the red LED board and the amber LED board. If the connection is live when the power is first applied to the amber, it shows an arrow, otherwise it shows a full aspect. For instance, if you power up the amber first and then the red in that order, it'll only show a full aspect. If the link is broken for any reason, it'll therefore only show a full aspect, which is its 'fail safe' mode.

These Aldridge aspects are 'intelligent' to some degree, but they are ultimately controlled by the controller so are less intelligent IMV. The green aspects here are the same, too. They can show either a full aspect or an arrow depending on the situation.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 08:04 These Aldridge aspects are 'intelligent' to some degree, but they are ultimately controlled by the controller so are less intelligent IMV. The green aspects here are the same, too. They can show either a full aspect or an arrow depending on the situation
The Ambers also do it at Dartford tunnel approaches too see this video at around the 1:57 mark.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Is this a unique setup with a bus, cycle and taxi only roundel on the signals?
Not only this but there used to be give way lines for the rest of the traffic, which is pretty weird
traffic-light-man

Skipsy wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:19 Is this a unique setup with a bus, cycle and taxi only roundel on the signals?
No, there's more of those kicking around, but they're non-compliant without authorisation. Leeds was a big user of them, though more recent installations use the 'except buses' plate on its own, which of course is incorrect on so many levels and it's incredibly frustrating that their misuse seems to be gaining traction :twisted:
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Not sure if these have been mentioned on these thread but I went past them today and realised they are quite unique in the UK. I'm not sure if anywhere else has them or why they even got installed like that surely normal greens would of just been as acceptable.

Also the newer versions look terrible they don't even look illuminated.
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

The white outline looks bad, since they painted it on top of the signal itself, instead of installing a proper one.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 22:59 Not sure if these have been mentioned on these thread but I went past them today and realised they are quite unique in the UK. I'm not sure if anywhere else has them or why they even got installed like that surely normal greens would of just been as acceptable.
I'd guess to reduce the risk of confusion with the green lights on the road, but the normal solution to that is normal green with louvres rather than inventing something weird. :confused:
Or perhaps someone that trams have different signals so guide busways should too, but Cambridgeshire Guided Busway uses normal traffic lights. :confused:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 22:59 Not sure if these have been mentioned on these thread but I went past them today and realised they are quite unique in the UK. I'm not sure if anywhere else has them or why they even got installed like that surely normal greens would have just been as acceptable.

Are the red and amber lamps normal?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 16:55 Are the red and amber lamps normal?
Yes they are normal. Bradford also has the same type of signals on the busway there and again the newer replacements are rubbish compared to the old Peek elite ones and Microsense LSH versions. Rather than having the lense clear with a mask on they appear to have just stuck a full mask with white lines on and a white LED cluster behind them so they look really dim or off when illuminated.

I can't see the busways lasting beyond this next decade because there's talk of removing them and replacing with normal bus and cycle lanes. They never really worked anyway because only one operator uses them because the others didn't like having allocated drivers and vehicles for them as it wasn't flexible that's mainly why Arriva stopped using them pretty soon after opening.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 22:59 Not sure if these have been mentioned on these thread but I went past them today and realised they are quite unique in the UK. I'm not sure if anywhere else has them or why they even got installed like that surely normal greens would of just been as acceptable.

The newer signals are incredibly ugly.
ReissOmari..
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

ReissOmari wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 19:29 The newer signals are incredibly ugly.
I agree they are the ugliest signals ever the way they apply the tape around the edges directly to the head. Luckily they no longer do that anymore they've changed the design so they have a proper backing board on now. Though the signal heads still look cheap and flimsy and the lenses look smaller in comparison to other manufacturers signal heads. It's not the best equipment at all the amount of times I've seen them with missing boards and hoods. Never been keen on Microsense/TSEU/Telent equipment and I noticed it tends to be more used in cash strapped areas.
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 14:30
I'd guess to reduce the risk of confusion with the green lights on the road, but the normal solution to that is normal green with louvres rather than inventing something weird. :confused:
Or perhaps someone that trams have different signals so guide busways should too, but Cambridgeshire Guided Busway uses normal traffic lights. :confused:
Here in Russia, we have this signal, and it's used for public transport, regardless if it's a tram, bus, or trolleybus. The indications are a bit similar to British ones.
There's no such signal in my city strangely, trams instead obey road traffic signals.
traffic-light-man

L.J.D wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 20:28
ReissOmari wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 19:29 The newer signals are incredibly ugly.
I agree they are the ugliest signals ever the way they apply the tape around the edges directly to the head. Luckily they no longer do that anymore they've changed the design so they have a proper backing board on now. Though the signal heads still look cheap and flimsy and the lenses look smaller in comparison to other manufacturers signal heads. It's not the best equipment at all the amount of times I've seen them with missing boards and hoods. Never been keen on Microsense/TSEU/Telent equipment and I noticed it tends to be more used in cash strapped areas.
The 4G is just awful full stop, though they definitely look horrendous when the tape is applied directly to the face of the head, particularly where it goes around box signs. IIRC, this was something to do with the backing boards not being available in time for the heads, so they went out like that.

There's two variants of the backing boards out there too, there's the Polymer Solutions ones you've linked to there, and there's the Telent-own ones which seem to suffer from some tape peeling problems. These are awful, but I think they're probably the only ones in the North West, thankfully.

I'm still interested to see what Telent do moving forward now that Swarco is their direct competitor. My money is on the Aldridge Envirolite seen as there are already Telent installations with Envirolite heads in both Leeds and London. That, and they're the only third-party supplier left now.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

This set up is certainly unique kinda reminds me of the London Olympic vehicle exemptions they had in London for a short while.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

L.J.D wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 17:51 This set up is certainly unique kinda reminds me of the London Olympic vehicle exemptions they had in London for a short while.
It should also be in the "botched traffic signals" thread. That bus is allowed to go straight on - but not on a green left arrow as it is doing! Instead it should wait at the stop line until someone installs another aspect to allow them to use the bus lane :) .
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 18:50 It should also be in the "botched traffic signals" thread. That bus is allowed to go straight on - but not on a green left arrow as it is doing! Instead it should wait at the stop line until someone installs another aspect to allow them to use the bus lane .
Happens alot unfortunately I pointed this site out on the botched traffic signals thread which is the same. They always manage to muck up exemption installations which is why they should just simply it and find a better way of doing it. I personally prefer this arrangement though again still botched. But it would be better with coloured bus aspects and low level cycle.
traffic-light-man

L.J.D wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 19:18Happens alot unfortunately I pointed this site out on the botched traffic signals thread which is the same. They always manage to muck up exemption installations which is why they should just simply it and find a better way of doing it. I personally prefer this arrangement though again still botched. But it would be better with coloured bus aspects and low level cycle.
I know I keep banging on about it, but the current trend of posting a sole 'except buses' box sign when it's a bus-only signal is one of the most infuriating things going. What's the exemption for, the signal head itself?

While I advocate bus aspects in the long run, I don't think getting a box sign right should be rocket science and yet apparently it is. There's so many things that get installed wrong with box signs these days, it's mind boggling. Like you say, the bus only roundel gets the message across well, though yes it's wrong. It's still miles better than the 'except buses' though, and would possibly be fairly simple to get authorisation for.

My other favourite, which is probably poor installation and then poor acceptance by the engineer is simply having the exemption plate above the regulatory sign. Since when does that make sense?
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 08:33 While I advocate bus aspects in the long run, I don't think getting a box sign right should be rocket science and yet apparently it is. There's so many things that get installed wrong with box signs these days, it's mind boggling. Like you say, the bus only roundel gets the message across well, though yes it's wrong. It's still miles better than the 'except buses' though, and would possibly be fairly simple to get authorisation for.
I agree this one is particularly awful and that movement only has one head too even though they all green at the same time I think.

Getting back to the subject of unique signals whilst not the signals themselves i always found this junction a rarity due to it been a 6 armed crossroads (if you can call it that) I bet the phasing there is quite complex. I'm surprised they haven't made one or two approaches one way so they don't have to be linked to the main junction.
jnty

Post by jnty »

L.J.D wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 15:29 Getting back to the subject of unique signals whilst not the signals themselves i always found this junction a rarity due to it been a 6 armed crossroads (if you can call it that) I bet the phasing there is quite complex. I'm surprised they haven't made one or two approaches one way so they don't have to be linked to the main junction.
This was the approach taken at a similar junction in Edinburgh - one approach is pedestrianised, another is one-way 'out' of the junction and there's a few banned turns. There's a long term aspiration to simplify it further, I think, as it's still pretty pedestrian-hostile for such a central location.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Can't recall if I've posted it before... but there aren't that many u-turn traffic signals are there?
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8065619 ... 384!8i8192

No u-turn aspect for the light - but I guess there isn't a proscribed one. Is the road marking legal though?