Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by traffic-light-man »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 16:02Really I'd have expected wig-wags to be used for all of these rather than normal traffic signals though.
Wig Wags were not originally and are now again not included the regs for use on tunnels. Installations installed in the gap where they were in the regs are currently deemed compliant, but like the Pelican, they can't be replaced with more Wig Wags and there'll probably be a savings date issued for those at some point.

I think most if not all of the A55 sites were probably installed during the spell where Wig Wags were permitted for use at tunnels, but I suspect there's a reason they chose RAGs over Wig Wags. There's a good chance they can be used as a ramp metering type operation to try and control pollution and congestion or for holding traffic during roadworks etc, and I'm not sure you'd want to use a Wig Wag for these purposes.
Simon
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This one has been missing since 2016 and obviously now won't get replaced. I'd imagine the only reason these would be used is if there was a fire in the tunnel, but because of its short length you'd hope common sense would prevent people from driving in anyway.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

I am not even in Bradford and I found this cover on a traffic light (the only one at the junction); where am I? also, the majority of covers are TSEU Covers. it could be that these are just old ones that the council used whilst the works were taking place.
Last edited by OliverH on Fri Apr 08, 2022 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

That looks odd.. Bradford traffic light covers in Knottingley?
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:22 I forget if this has been posted already, but this homemade backing board on the A3 is surely a one-off!
This junction needs a refresh:
. Just recently the no U-Turn box on the far signal for NB A3 traffic is hanging off.
. The far signal for SB traffic still has the cones for the lights angled so far down that it obscures the lights.
. There is an unnecessarily long delay for the lights to turn green for SB A3 traffic to turn right.
. These 2 lights have issues with partially broken board + right side of the board on the gantry is narrower than the right.
. The straight on filter arrows don't turn off when the main green turns on.

It's also very strange how 3 lanes are controlled by a filter arrow, and the fact that you can do a U-turn from the SB A3 to the NB A3 (only seen someone do this once ever)
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It's because there's no traffic island separating thru & right. That's the traditional way it was done in this country: only one set of red lights per stop line - though a traffic island and separate sets of lights for each side has always been preferred in most situations.

It's increasingly archaic these days though and, dare I mention it, the long overdue introduction of red & amber arrows would make such an arrangement positively redundant.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

WhiteBlueRed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 05:57 Also something interesting, a traffic light and a STOP sign after it. Since visibility is good, I assume the STOP sign is because of the high speed on the dual carriageway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2666881 ... 312!8i6656
On a similar note, I haven't seen many of these junctions, where a rule of "STOP" in case of signal failure is present. The normal rule is free-for-all, right? Which could get interesting at the Tingley interchange:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.73230 ... 384!8i8192

But strangely, no such policy on other conurbations, like this monstrosity outside of my home town in Basingstoke:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.26229 ... 384!8i8192

Or, nearby in Bradford:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.78221 ... 384!8i8192

Perhaps the visibility at Tingley was the concern. Any other examples?
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Sheffield has some signs here saying stop if the signals are off. They have just added some new signals in Leeds also outside the new Stourton park and ride. Which was previously unsignalised and they've put similar signs on those so it must just be a random thing at bigger junctions with complex phases and movments.
traffic-light-man

OliverH wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 14:35 I am not even in Bradford and I found this cover on a traffic light (the only one at the junction); where am I? also, the majority of covers are TSEU Covers. it could be that these are just old ones that the council used whilst the works were taking place.
Bags can end up back at contractor depots or in vans and the contractors often serve multiple authorities from one depot, so it's fairly common for them to get mixed up. Particularly possible if they're being scavanged from the 'should probably be binned' pile.

It used to be quite common to see authority branded bags, but these days it's generally just the contractor branded ones that you see being used, which makes sense realistically. They're doing the work, they bulk buy them and then it doesn't matter where the bag ends up being used.
Simon
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

L.J.D wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:14 Sheffield has some signs here saying stop if the signals are off. They have just added some new signals in Leeds also outside the new Stourton park and ride. Which was previously unsignalised and they've put similar signs on those so it must just be a random thing at bigger junctions with complex phases and movments.
Do the lights not work with such frequency that they need to specify this? But yes, if traffic lights are off, there should be a general rule of treating it like a STOP sign.
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

Gareth wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 19:43 And speaking of Jersey, this traffic light likes to watch a bit of television...

A1
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WWQE1RxdH9G9fEfE6
So I've discovered the reason why this is like this. This is on the blue light route (for most destinations) from the island Ambulance Station. So, the Ambulance team can force extend the green by command until the Ambulance has cleared the whole set of junctions. Hence there's an aerial for each individual controller between the Ambulance Station and the Avenue (A2).
traffic-light-man

How many roundabout have filter arrows? Not quite unique because I'm about to list two, but I presume they're not very common at all.

Just a thought prompted by this one I came across on street view, though in this instance I can't quite work out why you wouldn't just give it a full RAGa instead.

This is another one, at a junction should really be a T-junction but instead is a piddly little roundabout that's signalised as if it was a T-junction. It does provide some useful u-turn opportunities, though.

Are there any others kicking around?
Simon
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

pjr10th wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 13:56
L.J.D wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:14 Sheffield has some signs here saying stop if the signals are off. They have just added some new signals in Leeds also outside the new Stourton park and ride. Which was previously unsignalised and they've put similar signs on those so it must just be a random thing at bigger junctions with complex phases and movments.
Do the lights not work with such frequency that they need to specify this? But yes, if traffic lights are off, there should be a general rule of treating it like a STOP sign.
Pretty sure that in the UK, if the traffic lights are off, the junction is to be treated as an unmarked junction where nobody has priority, and use courtesy.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

I feel like most places people would use common sense, especially at a T junction where you just assume the side road would give way or at a roundabout where you would just treat it as a normal roundabout. Although crossroads would be a trickier to work out
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 15:53 How many roundabout have filter arrows? Not quite unique because I'm about to list two, but I presume they're not very common at all.

Just a thought prompted by this one I came across on street view, though in this instance I can't quite work out why you wouldn't just give it a full RAGa instead.

This is another one, at a junction should really be a T-junction but instead is a piddly little roundabout that's signalised as if it was a T-junction. It does provide some useful u-turn opportunities, though.

There's one here that's been there decades and another here.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

This in Leeds city centre:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7989533 ... 384!8i8192

And this one, which is kinda not a roundabout any more since it's had a right turn chopped through it - and another "STOP if signals not in use" sign that I didn't know about...

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7942176 ... 384!8i8192

I find it amusing that the 'STOP if signals not in use' sign has an option for lighting. Surely the most likely failure is that there is an area-wide power cut rendering the signals 'out', so, er... the light would do what?
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 15:53 How many roundabout have filter arrows? Not quite unique because I'm about to list two, but I presume they're not very common at all.

Not a filter arrow as such, but provides a filter opportunity. Leazes Bowl in Durham:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/E3cN8Ewu2ovzz7Eq7

What I imagine must be a very early Signalised roundabout with a filter arrow onto the motorway in Renfrewshire. Leggatston Dr
https://maps.app.goo.gl/P46robfMRjYzj4wa8. Also interestingly uses banned turned signs.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

pjr10th wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 00:49 What I imagine must be a very early Signalised roundabout with a filter arrow onto the motorway in Renfrewshire. Leggatston Dr
https://maps.app.goo.gl/P46robfMRjYzj4wa8. Also interestingly uses banned turned signs.
That appears to invite you to turn directly into the path of vehicles already on the roundabout entering the M77. Yikes! Who signed THAT off?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jnty

Post by jnty »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:02
pjr10th wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 00:49 What I imagine must be a very early Signalised roundabout with a filter arrow onto the motorway in Renfrewshire. Leggatston Dr
That appears to invite you to turn directly into the path of vehicles already on the roundabout entering the M77. Yikes! Who signed THAT off?
Is it possible that the filter arrow never lights when traffic on the roundabout has a green and it's an attempt to avoid queues building up in front of the next set of lights on the roundabout? Seems mad otherwise.

Going through street view, it does seem like the next set of lights turn green immediately after the green ball shows at the entrance, which would support this theory - they only allow traffic onto the roundabout when there's a path through it. The waiting white Audi on the roundabout stays stationary while the filter arrow shows as well. I suppose this implies that the flows between the A726 and M77 are prioritised, which makes sense.
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

This one outside Leicester allows traffic from Kirby Lane to turn left onto the A46, whilst Kirby Lane traffic heading to Glenfield and Optimus Point is held on red, with traffic leaving the A46 allowed to enter the roundabout.