Why has the A466 south of Chepstow been redesignated as a red route when it was already a regular clearway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Why has the A466 south of Chepstow been redesignated as a red route when it was already a regular clearway?

Post by Bryn666 »

solocle wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 07:54
Bryn666 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 22:01
solocle wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 21:57
And the fact that they state explicity to cover hard shoulders... etc indicates that they aren't covered by default. Note that the one thing that isn't mentioned there is the carriageway.
Now you're nit-picking. Still, if parking on hard shoulders is something you want to fight for, by all means cause that test case to happen. The A556 DCO said the same thing but with different words. Unfortunately we don't build many major A roads to warrant this issue being questioned much, but you're going to have to find the exception that proves your argument, because there hasn't been one yet.
I mean, I cycled on the A27 two weeks ago, so it would just be a question of going a bit further and then stopping...
0819DA54-919B-420F-AE00-C7EDB734EC09.jpeg
(The Havant Bypass is just a bit of a different beast!).
You're very clearly off the paved surface there so that's clear cut.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
solocle

Re: Why has the A466 south of Chepstow been redesignated as a red route when it was already a regular clearway?

Post by solocle »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:21
solocle wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 07:54
Bryn666 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 22:01

Now you're nit-picking. Still, if parking on hard shoulders is something you want to fight for, by all means cause that test case to happen. The A556 DCO said the same thing but with different words. Unfortunately we don't build many major A roads to warrant this issue being questioned much, but you're going to have to find the exception that proves your argument, because there hasn't been one yet.
I mean, I cycled on the A27 two weeks ago, so it would just be a question of going a bit further and then stopping...
0819DA54-919B-420F-AE00-C7EDB734EC09.jpeg
(The Havant Bypass is just a bit of a different beast!).
You're very clearly off the paved surface there so that's clear cut.
That section is neither clearway, trunk, nor primary, either. Despite being a few yards from the start of the M3...

However, if I followed that road all the way to Portsbridge (a distance of 20 miles!, I always thought Soton and Portsmouth closer), then stopped on the hard shoulder, say, to re-evaluate my route choices...
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

I was on the road in question earlier today and confirm that it is a red route (I'll try and upload a picture of the sign I took later). It had long laybys along most of its length which people were parking along normally anyway, so I feel the only thing it prevents is stopping on the carriageway.

The stretch also felt a little strange in that there were no-uturn signs every 50-100 metres.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
DB617

Post by DB617 »

RJDG14 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 18:00 I was on the road in question earlier today and confirm that it is a red route (I'll try and upload a picture of the sign I took later). It had long laybys along most of its length which people were parking along normally anyway, so I feel the only thing it prevents is stopping on the carriageway.

The stretch also felt a little strange in that there were no-uturn signs every 50-100 metres.
I'd imagine it's a prime road for really numpty u-turns. Getting stuck in traffic towards Wales could prompt a driver to turn back and go via Caerwent, or the other way towards Chepstow they may try to get through Bulwark instead. It's unfortunate that the 466 link doesn't have a central barrier.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

A solid white line along the edge of the road is simply to denote the edge of the carriageway and has no specific legal meaning. The dashed line where the Mini is parked is simply to denote the edge at minor turnings and lay-bys where a Give–Way line at the mouth of the minor road is NOT used – this has a 1m mark and a 1m gap.

A similar line with 1m marks and 0.3m gaps is prescribed where a double broken Give Way or a wide Compulsory Stop line is provided at the mouth of a junction – the reason for the short gaps is simply to make it easier to lay in urban areas, since the single broken line has only half the width of the road (the left–hand side as you travel onto the minor road) available to apply it, the other half (the left–hand side as you travel out of the minor road) is used for the Give Way or Stop line.

The original white broken edge marking had a specification of 1m mark and a 3.5m gap and was simply defined as "Marking for delineation of the road edge elsewhere where a continuous line at hazards is not needed" – it was withdrawn in TSRGD 1994.

Traces of the original broken white edge marking can often be seen on many rural roads where a broken line was overpainted with a solid one post–1994.

The broken line edge marking was nearly always restricted to main rural A–roads, I hardly ever saw B–class roads with it, although one length of narrow S1 road with a concrete surface that used to lead to Heysham Port station did have broken white edge–markings in the mid–1970s – this was obliterated when the road was resurfaced and widened in the 1980s!

Chris Williams
solocle

Post by solocle »

Chris56000 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 20:39 A solid white line along the edge of the road is simply to denote the edge of the carriageway and has no specific legal meaning. The dashed line where the Mini is parked is simply to denote the edge at minor turnings and lay-bys where a Give–Way line at the mouth of the minor road is NOT used – this has a 1m mark and a 1m gap.

A similar line with 1m marks and 0.3m gaps is prescribed where a double broken Give Way or a wide Compulsory Stop line is provided at the mouth of a junction – the reason for the short gaps is simply to make it easier to lay in urban areas, since the single broken line has only half the width of the road (the left–hand side as you travel onto the minor road) available to apply it, the other half (the left–hand side as you travel out of the minor road) is used for the Give Way or Stop line.

The original white broken edge marking had a specification of 1m mark and a 3.5m gap and was simply defined as "Marking for delineation of the road edge elsewhere where a continuous line at hazards is not needed" – it was withdrawn in TSRGD 1994.

Traces of the original broken white edge marking can often be seen on many rural roads where a broken line was overpainted with a solid one post–1994.

The broken line edge marking was nearly always restricted to main rural A–roads, I hardly ever saw B–class roads with it, although one length of narrow S1 road with a concrete surface that used to lead to Heysham Port station did have broken white edge–markings in the mid–1970s – this was obliterated when the road was resurfaced and widened in the 1980s!

Chris Williams
Question here is, which solid white line is the official edge... And yes, it's a clearway. (It's the mythological A36(M)).
Actually, is this one for botched road markings?
capture5.jpg

From the SABRE Wiki: A36(M) :

The A36(M) has been claimed to be the number for the spur of the M27 from junction 2 (with the A36 and A31 - now A3090). It opened as part of the M27 in 1975, and was downgraded to an extension of the A36 when the Totton Western Bypass opened.

Although it is certain that the spur

... Read More