De-bypassed Towns?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: De-bypassed Towns?

Post by Chris Bertram »

fridayy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 21:48 Many towns with a roundabout infested S2 “bypass” will be de-bypassed in a few years, if it was even considered a bypass in the 1st place. I wonder how much money it would save to plan the new housing estates & bypasses properly.
May I introduce you to Burgess Hill? It's 50/50 as to whether to use the bypass or use the old road through the town centre (to be fair, this is still a B-road).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
fridayy

Post by fridayy »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 22:12
fridayy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 21:48 Many towns with a roundabout infested S2 “bypass” will be de-bypassed in a few years, if it was even considered a bypass in the 1st place. I wonder how much money it would save to plan the new housing estates & bypasses properly.
May I introduce you to Burgess Hill? It's 50/50 as to whether to use the bypass or use the old road through the town centre (to be fair, this is still a B-road).
Never been there but google maps says it’s quicker to go through the centre by 2 mins, i assume it varies during the day however.

It’s similar in wellingborough, it’s quicker to go through the town centre than to use the bypass to get from each end of the A509.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

orudge wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 15:15 I guess both Dundee and Aberdeen were bypassed, then grew beyond their respective bypasses. Aberdeen has finally got a new one, Dundee looks unlikely to.
There was a mention of upgrades to the Kingsway - A90 - but all I can find is £650k for footpath work adjacent to the road and at the rate Tayside Contracts are working on it try next year for it to be open
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
mfmman

Post by mfmman »

ajuk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 01:50Kemble?
I saw this and thought "What", but if you mean the severing of the road that ran across what is now the airfield and the improvement so what is now the A429 then I see what you mean. Although I'd say Kemble isn't a town
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

mfmman wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 18:05
I saw this and thought "What", but if you mean the severing of the road that ran across what is now the airfield and the improvement so what is now the A429 then I see what you mean. Although I'd say Kemble isn't a town
Here's the map with odd looking road numbers in 1958 https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 3&layer=29

Kemble did get a bypass of West Lane by the 1961 map https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4&layer=32
Ian
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Ross Spur wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 19:01
mfmman wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 18:05
Here's the map with odd looking road numbers in 1958 https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 3&layer=29

Kemble did get a bypass of West Lane by the 1961 map https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4&layer=32
Yes, I suppose I could have said De-bypassed places.
xnx

Post by xnx »

Rugeley A51. Built a 50mph bypass on the former power station 25 or so years ago with 5 roundabouts. It will soon have a new estate off a sneaky new developer roundabout they built a year ago on one of the longest stretches so expecting it to become 40mph after that.Have found it just as quick to use the old A51 through the town.

Another is possibly the first part of A34 north of Stafford to Stone with new development. Suppose there is still the M6 nearby as the bypass to it.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Another lump on the skin of bypasses. A35 Bridport to have a rbt at the west end, where it meets the old road. As it is on a hill, there will be severe elevation problems for lorries. The speed limit was lowered to 50 when the recycling centre was plonked on the bypass at a newly signalised junction so now, it will be 40 throughout I would think. How to turn yet another bypass into a local road, mixing up traffic that was meant to be separated by.....building a bypass.

15.4 All remaining conditions would need to be discharged following the granting of
reserved matters. These conditions would include agreement of a Construction Transport
Management Plan (condition 20) and the Miles Cross junction improvement (condition 24),
which are not required to be discharged until the development commences and the latter
that the development cannot be occupied until the Miles Cross junction improvement is
open to traffic (condition 25).
15.5 Although a Masterplan was prepared for the outline permission it was not approved as
part of that permission or made a condition of it, although the plans which were approved do
accord with it. However, it is useful to rehearse some of the key issues that the outline
permission considered that arose from the Masterplan.
15.6 The Masterplan was shaped with the help of local community representatives including
Bridport Local Area Partnership and the Bridport Area Neighbourhood Plan Group, their
focus was on the provision of affordable housing, the highway improvements at Miles Cross
and the management of flood risk. The access from 2 fixed points, 760 dwellings of which at
least 35% affordable and community infrastructure were agreed. Traffic generation,
suitability of the site and access roads, movement through sustainable transport methods
and highway safety were all considered as part of the Local Plan inquiry and the Inspector
had deemed the site appropriate for allocation. A Transport Assessment provided a
considerable amount of data on trip generation (TRICS data) which was considered by the
Highway Authority and deemed accurate in terms of forecasting of likely traffic movements.
Junction assessments and safety audits for the proposed improvements to the Miles Cross
junction were carried out and Highways England’s (now National Highways) preferred
improvement scheme was a roundabout. Conditions were applied to the outline permission
to secure the necessary highways improvements required to mitigate the impact of the
development in accordance with the NPPF and DfT Circular 02/2013. Condition 24 requires
the detailed design of works at the A35 Miles Cross junction to be agreed prior to the
commencement of development and will need the applicant to enter into a section 278
agreement (under the Highways Act 1980) with National Highways. This condition is yet to
be discharged. Condition 25 will then require these works to be completed and open to
traffic prior to occupation of the development.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/