A Load Of Bollards

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

A Load Of Bollards

Post by the cheesecake man »

There's nothing notable about bollards: they're everywhere.

Or is there?

How about these ones in Bishop Auckland with a mitre shaped top?

Or these child shaped ones in Nottingham cleverly combining cuteness with a serious safety message?

When I first saw all the rising bollards in Cambridge they were distinctive but they're not unusual now.

But what about these sliding bollard outside The Crucible? Here's them being installed.

So let's hear abut all the other unusual or interesting bollards out there! :rolleyes:
multiraider2

Re: A Load Of Bollards

Post by multiraider2 »

For fans of bollards see World Bollard Association @WorldBollard on Twitter. Not a real association of course, but if you like to see pictures of bollards and vehicles being wrecked on them, you could do worse.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

These 2 pedestrians have managed to not trip over the bollards either side of the bridge plonked in the middle of the path. They are officially there to prevent vehicles clipping the bridge rather than stop pedestrians crossing that side on the pavement as the council don't deem the thing that looks like a footway and links 2 footways to actually be a footway. There's no pedestrian phases to the traffic lights around the bridge (it's all 1 connected junction) so pedestrians are very much on their own here so take routes they want to rather than ones the council would prefer.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Fenlander wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 14:11 These 2 pedestrians have managed to not trip over the bollards either side of the bridge plonked in the middle of the path. They are officially there to prevent vehicles clipping the bridge rather than stop pedestrians crossing that side on the pavement as the council don't deem the thing that looks like a footway and links 2 footways to actually be a footway. There's no pedestrian phases to the traffic lights around the bridge (it's all 1 connected junction) so pedestrians are very much on their own here so take routes they want to rather than ones the council would prefer.
It's a bit narrow for a regular footway, though. The footway on the other side of the bridge is much more like it.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jnty

Post by jnty »

Fenlander wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 14:11 These 2 pedestrians have managed to not trip over the bollards either side of the bridge plonked in the middle of the path. They are officially there to prevent vehicles clipping the bridge rather than stop pedestrians crossing that side on the pavement as the council don't deem the thing that looks like a footway and links 2 footways to actually be a footway. There's no pedestrian phases to the traffic lights around the bridge (it's all 1 connected junction) so pedestrians are very much on their own here so take routes they want to rather than ones the council would prefer.
Gosh - that's a particularly stark example of somewhere that looks like an extremely nice place to hang around and walk through, completely ruined by some incredibly pedestrian-hostile design. I wonder if the area has a parking/traffic problem? Can't think why!
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

jgharston

Post by jgharston »

The bollards outside the Co-op in Whitby used to be decorated in a piratical theme:
https://goo.gl/maps/ETGZgesKzTTPMWJe6

I was going to take my own photo, but they got repainted a couple of weeks ago, sans faces.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

These ones in Dublin are useful for stopping vehicles getting onto the paved area. The installation crew are just cleaning up after a day of cementing them all in ...
Contractors clean up.jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

WHBM wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 00:07 These ones in Dublin are useful for stopping vehicles getting onto the paved area. The installation crew are just cleaning up after a day of cementing them all in ...

Contractors clean up.jpg
I’m fairly sure that’s Manchester - when the picture first did the rounds online it was supposedly there, and the pedestrian sign is the type installed across the city centre there in the 2000s.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Last edited by OliverH on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Coventry used to have loads with elephants on top, but most vanished when the 'shared spaces' fad came along.

I would think a lot of places have had 'personalised' bollards like that in the centre of town.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

The penguin is known to be a hardy species. These ones have survived in a hostile environment for well over ten years!
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Big L wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:42 Coventry used to have loads with elephants on top, but most vanished when the 'shared spaces' fad came along.

I would think a lot of places have had 'personalised' bollards like that in the centre of town.
On our first visit to Coventry, I was stood on the cathedral steps looking up at Epstein's sculpture "St Michael's Victory over the Devil" when my bemused wife asked "Why the big b*lls?"

Edited to fix link :oops: .
Last edited by FleetlinePhil on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 18:35
Big L wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:42 Coventry used to have loads with elephants on top, but most vanished when the 'shared spaces' fad came along.

On our first visit to Coventry, I was stood on the cathedral steps looking up at Epstein's sculpture "St Michael's Victory over the Devil" when my bemused wife asked "Why the big b*lls?"
404 not found.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Big L wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 19:42
FleetlinePhil wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 18:35

404 not found.
Sorry, I'm out at the moment, I will have a look tomorrow :confused: .

Edit - link on my post is now sorted, thanks for pointing it out.
Last edited by FleetlinePhil on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

These are a long way from home then
https://goo.gl/maps/1BNRQM534XuzNQbG7
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

The Manchester bollards have a Bee cast into them.

The Stockport ones have a diamond & the town crest.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardA626 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 22:29 The Manchester bollards have a Bee cast into them.
The bee used to be the symbol of Boddington's brewery, who were in Strangeways within the city boundaries. Their bitter was particularly distinctive, though the mild wasn't bad either. They were taken over by Whitbread in 1989, and though that meant that the beer got nationwide distribution it also resulted in compromises in quality, and the beer lost some of its distinctiveness. The Strangeways brewery closed in 2005. I think you can still get the bitter in cans and brewery-conditioned form, with it being brewed at Samlesbury, near Preston, but the once-revered cask version, which Hydes of Moss Side took over, has now gone entirely.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 09:22
RichardA626 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 22:29 The Manchester bollards have a Bee cast into them.
The bee used to be the symbol of Boddington's brewery, who were in Strangeways within the city boundaries. Their bitter was particularly distinctive, though the mild wasn't bad either. They were taken over by Whitbread in 1989, and though that meant that the beer got nationwide distribution it also resulted in compromises in quality, and the beer lost some of its distinctiveness. The Strangeways brewery closed in 2005. I think you can still get the bitter in cans and brewery-conditioned form, with it being brewed at Samlesbury, near Preston, but the once-revered cask version, which Hydes of Moss Side took over, has now gone entirely.
I remember it was controversial when the Strangeways Brewery closed.
Beware of the trickster on the roof