A17 Sutton Bridge (Crosskeys Bridge Repainting)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

GOSBER03

A17 Sutton Bridge (Crosskeys Bridge Repainting)

Post by GOSBER03 »

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/new ... ed-6745293

On Monday 28th February 2022 Lincolnshire County Council started work on repainting the A17 Cross Keys Swing Bridge at Sutton Bridge, for those of you are are not familiar with this bridge which crosses the River Nene very close to the Lincolnshire/Norfolk border is the most famous single landmark along the entire route of the A17 which stretches from Newark to Kings Lynn and is the only crossing point over the River Nene north of the Cambridgeshire town of Wisbech which when work like this is undertaken causes big problems in the local area as The only alternative to travel ten miles south though the middle of Wisbech to cross the river. The last time the bridge was last painted was over twenty years ago and since then the paintwork has shown signs of deterioration due to the heavy amount of traffic which uses the bridge.

During the time of the work which will not be fully completed until the beginning of July the bridge will be reduced to just a single lane along with overnight closures (especially in June) which will be controlled by Traffic Management although the bridge will be “fully open” for the bank holidays (which if I read the news article correctly does not include the weekends themselves just the bank holidays) so if you are travelling from the North of England into Norfolk over the course of the next few months please do be aware of this and expect significant delays.
Last edited by GOSBER03 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
doebag

Re: A17 Sutton Bridge Repainting

Post by doebag »

It’s been causing long queues on the A17, and people with local knowledge have been using the diversion route even when the A17 is open.
Not helped when there was local roadworks on the A1101 in Wisbech.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

The diversion / alternative route through the middle of Wisbech isn't that great either, and it's also worth bearing in mind that the A47 Guyhirn roadworks are continuing until the end of March is anyone is considering diverting via Peterborough
GOSBER03

Post by GOSBER03 »

doebag wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 19:32 Not helped when there was local roadworks on the A1101 in Wisbech.
Where in Wisbech are these roadworks exectly?
2 Sheds

Post by 2 Sheds »

Interesting bridge this. Built in 1897. It used to be operated by water accumulators. I don’t know if that’s still the case. I recall hot summer days when it expanded and jammed closed (or wouldn’t open ). The fire brigade used to come and hose it down with water to try and cool it and free it.

When I was ‘involved’ it had to be manned round the clock 365 days a year. This was so it could open on demand to let boats pass (legal stipulation). The wage bill to the taxpayer was pretty huge. However at that time only one boat ever passed along the Nene, and the operators always knew in advance when it would need to open. Despite that the bridge could never be left unattended. I see that boat passage now has to be booked in advance so presumably it’s no longer manned 24/7.
doebag

Post by doebag »

GOSBER03 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 18:01
doebag wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 19:32 Not helped when there was local roadworks on the A1101 in Wisbech.
This weekend.
Sutton Rd j/o Dowgate Rd

North End between Aldi and Asda

Plus this weekend Guyhirn roundabout is closed and there are overnight works on the A47 at Thorney
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

doebag wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 20:11
GOSBER03 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 18:01
This weekend.
Sutton Rd j/o Dowgate Rd

North End between Aldi and Asda

Plus this weekend Guyhirn roundabout is closed and there are overnight works on the A47 at Thorney
Leverington junction still had temporary lights last week when I was there. The week before the fair was in town too so there was both more visitors and reduced parking too.
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

When I came over it yesterday, they'd given up on the traffic lights and were signalling traffic by hand to run for a couple of minutes each way.
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
jervi

Post by jervi »

I recorded the works at the bridge a few weeks ago.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

jervi wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:00 I recorded the works at the bridge a few weeks ago.
Looks from that like the situation has reverted to how it was upto the mid-1960's with road traffic only on the northern side.

In those days it was the railway using the other side not painting contractors. :)
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Do we know if it is still being opened for river traffic? That would cause mayhem!
GOSBER03

Post by GOSBER03 »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 23:15 Do we know if it is still being opened for river traffic? That would cause mayhem!
Oh yes it’s still opened for river traffic now and then but mostly these days it’s just mainly pleasure crafts.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

With Sutton Bridge port now closed I would imagine there’ll be a bit more river traffic heading to Wisbech instead.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Here's a video driving towards Kings Lynn, with the queue in the other direction ..... I only had to wait around 5 minutes. https://youtu.be/WJv75oLnILs
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Is it just me or is that some very poor traffic management there. Apart from you straddling the lanes there appears to be nothing preventing village traffic using the LH lane all the way up to the point where the RH lane ends?
I've been through the bridge twice so far during the works, once from the village itself (not much of a wait) and once from Kings Lynn side but I was coming from the minor road that runs alongside the river not the A17 and I was let out into that traffic very quickly (got across on first green light after I arrived).
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Fenlander wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:24 Is it just me or is that some very poor traffic management there. Apart from you straddling the lanes there appears to be nothing preventing village traffic using the LH lane all the way up to the point where the RH lane ends?
I've been through the bridge twice so far during the works, once from the village itself (not much of a wait) and once from Kings Lynn side but I was coming from the minor road that runs alongside the river not the A17 and I was let out into that traffic very quickly (got across on first green light after I arrived).
Yes, dire traffic management. It was indicated that the outside lane was closed but they needed to close the outside lane from the roundabout just behind me. It was confusing for drivers who were being undertaken and making progress though the lights - around 30% more vehicles I rekon would get through those lights should they close off the outside lane.
GOSBER03

Post by GOSBER03 »

Fenlander wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 09:44 With Sutton Bridge port now closed I would imagine there’ll be a bit more river traffic heading to Wisbech instead.
I didn’t know Port Sutton Bridge had closed and that’s from someone local to the area.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

GOSBER03 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 09:44
Fenlander wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 09:44 With Sutton Bridge port now closed I would imagine there’ll be a bit more river traffic heading to Wisbech instead.
I didn’t know Port Sutton Bridge had closed and that’s from someone local to the area.
Closed last week apparently.
GOSBER03

Post by GOSBER03 »

Fenlander wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 21:28
GOSBER03 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 09:44
Closed last week apparently.
Yeah I saw on the local news article after reading this, also I saw Sutton Bridge myself for the first time since the works started and was very lucky as we only had to wait five minutes to get over the bridge this morning.
skiddaw05

Re: A17 Sutton Bridge (Crosskeys Bridge Repainting)

Post by skiddaw05 »

The temporary signals are due to be removed this Saturday (2nd July)
So all you A17 fans out there can look forward to normal service being resumed!