Are these streetlights considered rare?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

UKboy

Are these streetlights considered rare?

Post by UKboy »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.70725 ... 8192?hl=en

This lights seem to only exist around XSCAPE in Glasshoughton. I'm wondering if there are any more of these in the wild elsewhere.
Patrick Harper

Re: Are these streetlights considered rare?

Post by Patrick Harper »

The bracket is rare, the bracket/lantern/height combination I would say is bizarre. But that style of lantern was very common on 90s/00s commercial developments, this is a typical application.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Not unique to the area either well the lantern type anyway because White Rose Shopping Centre also in West Yorkshire had alot of them installed. They are gone now though due to an LED upgrade. The ones in Glasshoughton are soon to go too next year and the ones in the Xscape carpark have already been removed and switched to LED so I imagine the other carparks will follow soon.
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

It's a shame that they're slowly being replaced. They have a very unique design to them.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The bracket has an American appearance.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Update on these the brackets in the carparks around Xscape and J32 outlet have been completely replaced with side entry boring ones with LED. But interestingly the ones on the road around a few have been replaced with LED where the lanterns have failed. They've axed the top entry arrangement and the bracket arms are cut down slightly and are now side entry. But the good news is it appears the brackets on the council owned road ones are been retained. Sorry for poor quality picture but here's a comparison.
Attachments
received_429329819075668.jpeg
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

I'm sure I have seen these before and know who made them.
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

These lanterns are the Thorn Lemnis
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 13:33 Update on these the brackets in the carparks around Xscape and J32 outlet have been completely replaced with side entry boring ones with LED. But interestingly the ones on the road around a few have been replaced with LED where the lanterns have failed. They've axed the top entry arrangement and the bracket arms are cut down slightly and are now side entry. But the good news is it appears the brackets on the council owned road ones are been retained. Sorry for poor quality picture but here's a comparison.
Weird. I was the around the area a couple days ago and I never noticed these...
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

Slight bump but I found these by Manchester Piccadilly https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.47795 ... 000!8i6000
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

Sorry for the half year bump, but this is massive. I FOUND THESE LIGHTS IN AUSTRALIA!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-32.0709 ... 384!8i8192
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

I have to send another bump. The streetlights in Glasshoughton are now Philips DigiStreet LEDs. Most, if not all now, are gone. :(
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

I have massive news! I have just TONIGHT found these Thorn Lemini in a car park in Derby!
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9171075 ... ?entry=ttu

That begs the question, where else in the UK holds these?
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

I thought it was really odd how this one was removed to make way for a new turning and replaced opposite like for like. I didn't think Wakefield Council would bother matching it with the rest because they seem to replace anything with whatever they've got on hand nowadays. Lanterns are all gone now of course due to the LED upgrade but its nice to see they actually matched the pole and brackets with the rest.

There's a few remaining behind Xscape here for some bizarre reason. Maybe there's a dispute over who owns them.
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

I'm sure those that remain at Xscape are privately owned, and not run by the council. Therefore, it would be the job of whoever owns Xscape to replace them.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

UKboy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:42 I'm sure those that remain at Xscape are privately owned, and not run by the council. Therefore, it would be the job of whoever owns Xscape to replace them.
Most of them haven't been working for years so I imagine nobody really cares for them. Maybe these studs designate the boundary line between council and private. Odd though that there's a council owned feeder pillar next to the light.
Jamtastic3

Post by Jamtastic3 »

There's a whole mish mash of those street lights and others at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary....

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5mdkawdUgLVRtHdLA