‘Dual Carriageway Ahead’ Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FtoE

‘Dual Carriageway Ahead’ Signs

Post by FtoE »

I was wondering if there is a standard for how far from the start of the dual carriageway these are placed. It seems to vary a bit.
One in particular, southbound on the A9 just before the climb up to Bankfoot (the most southerly section before Perth)seems to be a bit further than others.
wrinkly

Re: ‘Dual Carriageway Ahead’ Signs

Post by wrinkly »

Drifting off topic already but another thing that seems to vary enormously is the distance from a junction to the following route confirmation sign.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The guidance is in TSM Chapter 4. However practical considerations come into play.

Realistically the "Dual carriageway ahead" sign is placed around 300m from the start of it - further back you may get "Dual carriageway 1/2 mile ahead" etc (https://goo.gl/maps/2kpcRBbRXWveo3saA) with the intent to discourage overtaking until that point.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Herned

Post by Herned »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:40 Realistically the "Dual carriageway ahead" sign is placed around 300m from the start of it - further back you may get "Dual carriageway 1/2 mile ahead" etc (https://goo.gl/maps/2kpcRBbRXWveo3saA) with the intent to discourage overtaking until that point.
What's the longest distance one of those signs says? The A303 has signs saying "dual carriageway 2 miles ahead", I'm sure I have seen longer distances somewhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Herned wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:45
Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:40 Realistically the "Dual carriageway ahead" sign is placed around 300m from the start of it - further back you may get "Dual carriageway 1/2 mile ahead" etc (https://goo.gl/maps/2kpcRBbRXWveo3saA) with the intent to discourage overtaking until that point.
What's the longest distance one of those signs says? The A303 has signs saying "dual carriageway 2 miles ahead", I'm sure I have seen longer distances somewhere
I think they're not supposed to exceed 3 but local safety considerations will be a deciding factor.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This one certainly isn't serving much purpose, much like these.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 15:24 This one certainly isn't serving much purpose, much like these.
Confirmation, there is no start of dual carriageway sign and some dopy drivers may not notice.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

The most I’ve seen was 3 miles on the A64 between Welburn and Malton, it was placed at the eastbound end of the dual carriageway giving distance (3 miles) to Malton bypass dual carriageway, this was removed a few years later as it was suggested rather than informing people with the idea of next dual carriageway ahead wait to overtake, some would see 3 miles as too long and would encourage to take daft manoeuvres…..

That section simply has 2 mile warnings for dual carriageway, then a mile and so on.

I do believe guidance was changed to keep the distance low for the above reason.
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

There's one at Bowes on the A66 which is ON a dual carriageway.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Brigham wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 18:55 There's one at Bowes on the A66 which is ON a dual carriageway.
It's on the westbound single lane bit. It looks like it's at least 500m before the second lane starts
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 23:54
Brigham wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 18:55 There's one at Bowes on the A66 which is ON a dual carriageway.
It's on the westbound single lane bit. It looks like it's at least 500m before the second lane starts
Im not familiar with the area, but I’ll remind folk that carriageways ≠ lanes.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

I think there used to be a ‘8 miles ahead’ sign on the A30 westbound after Innis Downs, after the Indian Queens BP opened in 1995, and before the Victoria section was dualled in 2007.

Innis Downs would have been the end of the DC stretch from M5 apart from the 3 miles between Temple and Higher Carblake, so I guess its purpose was to advise drivers to be patient.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Big L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 08:35
I've had a look now I'm more awake and found it here. Definitely on a dual carriageway. Putting the sign on the central reservation is a dead giveaway!
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

I'm aware of that
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Big L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 09:24
I've had a look now I'm more awake and found it here. Definitely on a dual carriageway. Putting the sign on the central reservation is a dead giveaway!
Maybe someone from National Highways or whatever it is needs to pop to nearby Barnard Castle to check their eyesight! :roll:
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Big L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 09:24
The bridge in sight is the one they've now decided to replace under the A66 improvement scheme after wondering whether to squeeze the D2 through it.
FtoE

Post by FtoE »

I’m sure I remember some saying x minutes ahead - or maybe that was on temporary electronic signs….
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:58
I think they're not supposed to exceed 3 but local safety considerations will be a deciding factor.
TSRGD S11-5-1 "A distance may be added or varied, but, in relation to the signs provided for at items 11 and 16 in the Part 2 sign table, the distance must not exceed two miles."
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

JohnnyMo wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 15:46
MotorwayGuy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 15:24 This one certainly isn't serving much purpose, much like these.
Confirmation, there is no start of dual carriageway sign and some dopy drivers may not notice.
If that were the case, such signs would be present at the start of every dual carriageway, which given that "Start of dual carriageway" signs don't exist, makes "confirmation" an incorrect assumption.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Conekicker wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 20:12
JohnnyMo wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 15:46
If that were the case, such signs would be present at the start of every dual carriageway, which given that "Start of dual carriageway" signs don't exist, makes "confirmation" an incorrect assumption.
Most start of dual carriageways are obvious so don't need to tell dopy drivers. I was about to say you don't need one here but then I saw one. Not one here
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo