One Inch maps of Ireland

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

One Inch maps of Ireland

Post by Steven »

There's a few Irish One Inch sheets on SABRE Maps.

OSI never really did much at the One Inch scale, preferring to keep it mostly for "District" maps, usually of the major towns and cities.

OSNI on the other hand did use the One Inch scale quite a bit, so we've just added two map sheets from 1971.

They are:
* Sheet 3 (Mid-Antrim)
* Sheet 6 (Belfast)

For a quick challenge, how many temporary motorway terminii can you find on the two sheets?

You'll find them (perhaps not surprisingly) on the One Inch 1971 layer.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: One Inch maps of Ireland

Post by c2R »

It's very interesting that they're both of the same year, yet the M2 is at a different construction state on each of them
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

These are fantastic! First time I've ever seen a map of the M2 temporary terminus layout at Paradise Walk.

Other highlights: Sandyknowes, Sprucefield & Rathbeg junctions in their original layout. M22 ending at Dunsilly.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

It seems that only the Motorways are labelled with their numbers - but even so, the Ballymena by-pass isn't marked as part of M2.

As for temporary termini - there are many, although some became permanent in the long run.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
bothar

Post by bothar »

A42_Sparks wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 23:49 These are fantastic! First time I've ever seen a map of the M2 temporary terminus layout at Paradise Walk.

Other highlights: Sandyknowes, Sprucefield & Rathbeg junctions in their original layout. M22 ending at Dunsilly.
And the A1 meandering through towns, something I remember as a child.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Finding more great stuff:

Ballymena during the brief period between 1969 and 1972 when the M2 bypass was built but the A36 (now A26) Larne Road Link wasn't so the A36 meanders through Harryville instead. I've never seen a map of this before.

The narrow and windy S2 A6 bypassing Castledawson to the east (rather than the south like today) and heading towards Maghera via Hillhead, now unclassified.

How small Antrim and Ballymena towns were compared to nowadays.

A26 running past Belfast International Airport, now abandoned.

B39 before the bizarre grade-separated junction with the B57 (now A57) was built. It seems the 'sliproads' were just the original route of the B57.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

So, along with the OSGB One Inch sheets uploaded today, there's also been an OSI One Inch sheet. As mentioned upthread, OSI didn't really go in for post-war One Inch mapping, preferring the Half Inch scale with a few One Inch district sheets; a pretty much total reversal from the OSGB situation where there's lots of One Inch mapping, but Half Inch sheets are rare.

So instead, they producted a number of District sheets, and we've added the Dublin district sheet to the 1966 One Inch layer. I think the phrase "massive changes from today" was probably invented for this map!
Steven
Motorway Historian

bothar

Post by bothar »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 16:07 So instead, they producted a number of District sheets, and we've added the Dublin district sheet to the 1966 One Inch layer. I think the phrase "massive changes from today" was probably invented for this map!
Massive changes indeed. Where I now live was a field on the edge of town (estate was built in 1970s).
I note that the route around the south of the city now called the R112 was not continuous, especially around Templeogue. By the time I arrived in Dublin in 1980 this was an important ring route in pre M50 days.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

This is great, the built-up area of Dublin basically stops at Phoenix Park. Lucan and Clondalkin as completely separate small towns and Blanchardstown is just a tiny village.

Look closely at Santry and you can see the housing estate where they left a gap in the middle for the first section of the M1.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A42_Sparks wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 00:02Look closely at Santry and you can see the housing estate where they left a gap in the middle for the first section of the M1.
That was the first thing I looked for! I love that it's there.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

One of the non-roads things that really stood out to me is just how much land has been reclaimed from the sea - all around the port which is fairly obvious, but North Bull Island also appears to have got much larger in the last 50 years.

Similar to the 1960 Two Inch map of Jersey the land reclaimation threw me initially and I was trying to work out how I'd georeferenced the map so badly, especially as it has the Irish Grid on it so I wasn't even having to convert references from anything archaic!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Steven wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 09:53 One of the non-roads things that really stood out to me is just how much land has been reclaimed from the sea - all around the port which is fairly obvious, but North Bull Island also appears to have got much larger in the last 50 years.
It certainly explains why taking a foot ferry to Dublin starts off nicely with Holyhead station next to the ferry terminal, then you've got a 3 mile bus ride before you can get to civilisation the other end ... in the past, the land didn't exist and the terminal was closer.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
bothar

Post by bothar »

Ritchie333 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:35
Steven wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 09:53 One of the non-roads things that really stood out to me is just how much land has been reclaimed from the sea - all around the port which is fairly obvious, but North Bull Island also appears to have got much larger in the last 50 years.
It certainly explains why taking a foot ferry to Dublin starts off nicely with Holyhead station next to the ferry terminal, then you've got a 3 mile bus ride before you can get to civilisation the other end ... in the past, the land didn't exist and the terminal was closer.
Also, in those days a lot of the foot traffic came to Dun Laoghaire and the train ran right on to the pier.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Another Irish One inch sheet has appeared today, on the 1953 One Inch layer.

This is OSNI Sheet 7, Belfast. Again, LOTS of changes there!
Steven
Motorway Historian

wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

A42_Sparks wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 18:26
B39 before the bizarre grade-separated junction with the B57 (now A57) was built. It seems the 'sliproads' were just the original route of the B57.
Sorry to resurrect an old comment, but was this ever a GSJ? I do see a sliproad into a farm. https://www.google.com/maps/place/A57,+ ... 2F1wg5xf04
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 13:29 Sorry to resurrect an old comment, but was this ever a GSJ? I do see a sliproad into a farm. https://www.google.com/maps/place/A57,+ ... 2F1wg5xf04
As far as I'm aware it was built simply as an overbridge for the B39 and there was no direct access from the A57.
Cian

Post by Cian »

Similar to the 1960 Two Inch map of Jersey the land reclaimation threw me initially and I was trying to work out how I'd georeferenced the map so badly, especially as it has the Irish Grid on it so I wasn't even having to convert references from anything archaic!
Bull Island is accidental rather than deliberate - the entire thing is silt/sand deposited by the altered currents from the Bull Wall being there.

Pretty much everything West of the railway line is reclaimed; North Strand was the actual coast - hence the name
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Similarly, though not to the same extent perhaps, Belfast

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6293452 ... 307,14.32z the Shore Road is to the left of the motorway and quite inland

The outline of the modern docks is shown https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 0&layer=42 but you can see there was Shore Road, houses, railway and then the shore.

Indeed the likes of Greencastle was a seaside village and is now a North Belfast motorway junction.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I went into a number of new and second hand bookshops in Dublin yesterday, but came away with zero maps :( Where are they all hiding!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 I went into a number of new and second hand bookshops in Dublin yesterday, but came away with zero maps :( Where are they all hiding!
OS Ireland maps definitely haven't survived anywhere near as well as their OSGB counterparts. Each map we have on SABRE Maps is definitely a hard-won trophy.

I wonder if it's something to do with the different paper they were printed on?
Steven
Motorway Historian