Inverness to Dores B851 / A862

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Inverness to Dores B851 / A862

Post by rileyrob »

Here's a question we may never be able to answer.
  • In 1922, the B851_(Inverness_-_Fort_Augustus) was given the only classified route on the south side of Loch Ness, and followed the line of Wades original route out along Essich Road and over Ashie Moor to meet the current B862 route.
  • In c1924/5 the A862 (Inverness - Fort Augustus) number was assigned, effectively replacing the B851
  • In 1932 the OS 10 mile map shows the A862 following the current line of the B862 out of Inverness to Dores, before climbing up on to Ashie Moor. The same map shows the B851 on its current route further east.
What happened to the Essich Road route? Did it survive as the B851 for a couple of years, or did the A862 originally run that way and later get moved? As I say, we may never be able to find the answer, but it could be one of the earliest routes classified in 1922 to become unclassified.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B851 (Inverness - Fort Augustus) :

According to the 1922 Road Lists, the original route of the B851 was mostly along what is now the B862. It was the only B road on the east side of Loch Ness, as opposed to the 3 routes which are there today. Looking more closely at the 1923 MOT Map, however, it becomes clear that whilst most of the route is now numbered as the

... Read More