One lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound??

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BF2142

One lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound??

Post by BF2142 »

There's one lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound. Whoever designed this stuff? You think the UK's roads can't get anymore underwhelming and then you encounter this. :shock:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: One lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound??

Post by Bryn666 »

BF2142 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 14:13 There's one lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound. Whoever designed this stuff? You think the UK's roads can't get anymore underwhelming and then you encounter this. :shock:
Google shows there to be two lanes around the loop. Has this changed since August 2021?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 14:24
BF2142 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 14:13 There's one lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound. Whoever designed this stuff? You think the UK's roads can't get anymore underwhelming and then you encounter this. :shock:
Google shows there to be two lanes around the loop. Has this changed since August 2021?
There’s one lane in the opposite direction, M40 eastbound to M25 clockwise. But that seems reasonable enough: it’s not the dominant turning flow at this junction, and all traffic for M25 clockwise from both directions on the M40 has to combine into two lanes before merging. If it was a two lane sliproad it would have to narrow down somehow.

Single lane sliproads aren’t unusual. I’m not seeing the issue but would be glad of an explanation.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Far worse is the situation of the M25 anti-clockwise to M11 northbound..... no thought has been given to the dominant turning movements at the junction, while the M25 has been widened but the M11 merges have remained unchanged since their original design.

The situation could probably be improved with simply some while lining and signage changes....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

While I don't think I've ever been on it on a weekday but I've never encountered a problem with it myself. It is quite a tight radius so I think that's another reason to discourage overtaking. I wouldn't think it's a movement used that much for commuting relative to some others.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The loop from the M42 to M6 south was reduced to a single lane around 20 years ago and drivers losing control was the reason given. This loop is much longer than the M25 example and being stuck behind slower traffic can be annoying. Fortunately I have no reason to use it where I live now.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Truvelo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:45 The loop from the M42 to M6 south was reduced to a single lane around 20 years ago and drivers losing control was the reason given. This loop is much longer than the M25 example and being stuck behind slower traffic can be annoying. Fortunately I have no reason to use it where I live now.
I have doubts about that supposed safety argument of single lane loops - a lot of it seems to be overcautious 'engineering' looking for a problem to solve.

The M50 loops in Dublin have two lanes despite having a radius equivalent to that of a 5p coin.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I used this today. The layout has not changed recently. it is 2 lanes all around the loop, but turns into one wide lane at the merge with the M40, so 2 vehicles can run parallel so no need to get held behind a slow vehicle, but it is not tiger-tailed as a proper 2 lane merge.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

trickstat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 08:18 While I don't think I've ever been on it on a weekday but I've never encountered a problem with it myself. It is quite a tight radius so I think that's another reason to discourage overtaking. I wouldn't think it's a movement used that much for commuting relative to some others.
The simple solution to discourage overtaking if two lanes' capacity is required would be to put double whites down the middle (and perhaps a "Stay in Lane" sign as well) like is done at some tunnels and certain junction complexes (somewhere on the M8 Glasgow does this for a bit, IIRC).
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Keiji wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:10 The simple solution to discourage overtaking if two lanes' capacity is required would be to put double whites down the middle (and perhaps a "Stay in Lane" sign as well) like is done at some tunnels and certain junction complexes (somewhere on the M8 Glasgow does this for a bit, IIRC).
M8 and Clyde Tunnel. Both effective at keeping people in lane but neither are correct use of double white lines.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

swissferry wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 20:45
Keiji wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:10 The simple solution to discourage overtaking if two lanes' capacity is required would be to put double whites down the middle (and perhaps a "Stay in Lane" sign as well) like is done at some tunnels and certain junction complexes (somewhere on the M8 Glasgow does this for a bit, IIRC).
M8 and Clyde Tunnel. Both effective at keeping people in lane but neither are correct use of double white lines.
It is supposed to be a single unbroken white line, isn't it?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

BF2142 wrote:There's one lane from M25 anticlockwise to M40 northbound. Whoever designed this stuff? You think the UK's roads can't get anymore underwhelming and then you encounter this.
Although as covered above this is actually two lanes throughout the 270-degree loop, I recall it well from when I had my Ford XR3i (showing my age here), and was a regular going round it, for it would take it nicely at 60 mph - except that the fuel gauge seemed to have no capacitor, so as you went round it would lose nearly 1/2 tank of its starting indication, slowly recovering over the next mile as you straightened out on the M40 !

The reciprocal direction does have a short single lane section, only between other (2-lane) loops diverging/merging, which would otherwise require four instead of three lanes on approach etc, not only over capacity but hazardous. Note that the single lane section is a full 36' carriageway, hatched down, so it is done for traffic management reasons rather than cheapness of civil engineering design.

Regarding "whoever designed this stuff", I did, at a more junior stage, work on the design team for some other motorway construction projects, sometimes covered here, where we modelled the traffic flows and put in a number of single lane interconnectors, which have worked fine for (many now) years. There are a few others here who have done the same. Any questions ... ?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

WHBM wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 07:13Although as covered above this is actually two lanes throughout the 270-degree loop, I recall it well from when I had my Ford XR3i (showing my age here), and was a regular going round it, for it would take it nicely at 60 mph - except that the fuel gauge seemed to have no capacitor, so as you went round it would lose nearly 1/2 tank of its starting indication, slowly recovering over the next mile as you straightened out on the M40 !
I can confirm with pleasure that the opposite loop, M25 clockwise to M40 eastbound, which I think is the same size, can be taken at 55 in a Skoda Fabia, to the great surprise of people in sportier vehicles taking a more cautious approach :)
Herned

Post by Herned »

Isn't this complaint a little overdue? The road has been open for ~40 years
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 08:00 I can confirm with pleasure that the opposite loop, M25 clockwise to M40 eastbound, which I think is the same size, can be taken at 55 in a Skoda Fabia
Does indeed look the same. Presumably the draughtsman used the same radius pieces from their box of Railway Curves (this being designed well before CAD stations). A designer really keen on symmetry might have done one, then turned the tracing paper over and placed it underneath the other to get the exact same angles (used to know someone who did this).

It may be that those "people in sportier vehicles" are in fact being a bit cautious and leaving a bit of leeway for someone coming up from behind at speed through the curve. I do, not here but notably at the M25/M11 Turbine, when turning from the clockwise M25 carriageway onto the M11 southbound towards London, a double reverse curve which progressively tightens with poor forward visibility where I have seen several in lane 2 not manage the curvature and slalom across my path, despite considerable superelevation (gosh, completely forgotten the old manual calcs for superel on a tightening transition curve, something about Newton's 4th law in there somewhere :) ).
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 08:00
WHBM wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 07:13Although as covered above this is actually two lanes throughout the 270-degree loop, I recall it well from when I had my Ford XR3i (showing my age here), and was a regular going round it, for it would take it nicely at 60 mph - except that the fuel gauge seemed to have no capacitor, so as you went round it would lose nearly 1/2 tank of its starting indication, slowly recovering over the next mile as you straightened out on the M40 !
I can confirm with pleasure that the opposite loop, M25 clockwise to M40 eastbound, which I think is the same size, can be taken at 55 in a Skoda Fabia, to the great surprise of people in sportier vehicles taking a more cautious approach :)
[Yorkshire accent]
Luxury.

Our loops at M4 J10 are noticeably tighter than on the M25/M40, and you'd struggle to do more than 35mph, Fabia or no Fabia.