Cobbled streets

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Cobbled streets

Post by Glenn A »

I know they are retained for touristy reasons in some areas, but I was in Carlisle last week and noticed the Victorian Caldewgate area( the area between Wigton Rd and Newtown Rd) has entire streets that are cobbled and have never been tarmacced. This is quite unusual as this isn't a tourist area and isn't a conservation area as many of the houses look run down. I wonder if any other cities and towns have areas of cobbled streets like this.
Also delighted to spot an old style STOP sign on an exit from the Cumberland Infirmary, a real rarity these days.
KeithW

Re: Cobbled streets

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 13:38 I know they are retained for touristy reasons in some areas, but I was in Carlisle last week and noticed the Victorian Caldewgate area( the area between Wigton Rd and Newtown Rd) has entire streets that are cobbled and have never been tarmacced. This is quite unusual as this isn't a tourist area and isn't a conservation area as many of the houses look run down. I wonder if any other cities and towns have areas of cobbled streets like this.
Also delighted to spot an old style STOP sign on an exit from the Cumberland Infirmary, a real rarity these days.
There are quite a few cobbled streets in Stockton On Tees that just had tarmac laid on the cobbles which are now emerging as the tarmac wears away. The bureaucrats say they are too shallow to be part of the pothole repair plan.
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... g-20626598
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 13:38 I know they are retained for touristy reasons in some areas, but I was in Carlisle last week and noticed the Victorian Caldewgate area( the area between Wigton Rd and Newtown Rd) has entire streets that are cobbled and have never been tarmacced. This is quite unusual as this isn't a tourist area and isn't a conservation area as many of the houses look run down. I wonder if any other cities and towns have areas of cobbled streets like this.
Quite a few in Bradford, around the University. Some seem to have been tarmacked since I was there in the 90s, but some still remain.

Any I think strictly speaking both your example and mine are setts not cobbles - cobbles being round large pebbles. I can't recall seeing any actual cobbles on a road - apart from where they're used to keep people off, with the stones sticking up - but examples probably exist.
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

I saw a few in Nelson recently https://maps.app.goo.gl/9PDvr5bBamCgE7996

These back streets in Bolton remain reasonably untouched https://maps.app.goo.gl/97LYjEiakWknvods7 with most of their stone kerbs and flags remaining. It wasn't too long ago that the main streets of this area had their setts on display, many of which are reappearing as the thin tarmac covering is wearing and breaking-up.

More setts in Bolton https://maps.app.goo.gl/uF9ee8ZBDMjGhFN39
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Culross has modern setts and cobbles.

There are more traditional looking setts along the coast between Limekilns and Charlestown. They seems unusual for a route between small villages but testify to the villages' historical industrial importance.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Plenty in non-touristy residential streets in Edinburgh and Leith.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 15:30Any I think strictly speaking both your example and mine are setts not cobbles - cobbles being round large pebbles. I can't recall seeing any actual cobbles on a road - apart from where they're used to keep people off, with the stones sticking up - but examples probably exist.
The ones in Dent, are closer to being cobbles rather than setts. Main Street, Dent
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Old setts in the City of London at Monument Street. This is not a modern installation for tourist reasons; they've been untouched here for at least the time I've been coming to the City (now 39 years)
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

cb a1 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 17:17
SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 15:30Any I think strictly speaking both your example and mine are setts not cobbles - cobbles being round large pebbles. I can't recall seeing any actual cobbles on a road - apart from where they're used to keep people off, with the stones sticking up - but examples probably exist.
The ones in Dent, are closer to being cobbles rather than setts. Main Street, Dent
I think it's common terminology to call these streets cobbled, even though they are setts. Still it's quite unique to see several streets like this and the old STOP sign( looks so much better than the Americanised red signs). I am sure there is a side street near Wigton Rd where a gas light has been preserved.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Pretty much everywhere I've lived had had tarmac laid on top of cobbled streets. Sometimes the tram lines are still in situ under the tarmac.

It's whether the cobbles or setts become visible due to roadworks or general wear and tear (like here) that's the issue!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Significant amounts, which I drive over daily, across London Docklands - even on bus routes. Notice the poor repairs here - stat undertakers repair crews don't really know any more how to handle them.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5064519 ... 384!8i8192
SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 15:30 I can't recall seeing any actual cobbles on a road - apart from where they're used to keep people off, with the stones sticking up - but examples probably exist.
Those are called "Deterrent Paving". Actually did the design of areas for these long ago, which I can see are still there. It would be off-topic to do an amusing story about them going in ...
Last edited by WHBM on Sun Jun 26, 2022 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Stockport has a few side streets that haven't been tarmacked.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

A couple of streets in Norwich:

The very conservation-y Elm Hill resplendent with cobbles but horrid to bike on!

And some setts in Pottergate, with the (unusual?) addition of slabs towards the edges which make it nicer for cycling
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

These are a less-common type, larger, smoother, and more relevant squared off so less gap between the blocks, on Lynedoch Street in Glasgow, known as "Nidgers".

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8683876 ... 384!8i8192

When working on the Glasgow motorway designs, several of the professional consultants had offices just round the corner from there. An annual golf match between the offices was a point in the social calendar. The trophy was "The Nidger", which was one of these, polished and set on a wooden base, with a plate underneath listing the various annual winners. It was displayed in the reception area of the relevant years' winner.

There's an article about different block types (including Nidgers) here :

https://www.pavingexpert.com/setts01
owen b

Post by owen b »

I remember Neville Street in Durham from when I was growing up in the 1970s. We used to get our fish and chips there. It was cobbled and felt quite run down at the time. I've just looked it up https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.77700 ... 312!8i6656 and am delighted to discover it's still cobbled, it looks quite gentrified now, and best of all, the fish and chip shop is still there :D .

South Street in Durham is also cobbled, but that was always a very desirable place to live as it overlooks the cathedral : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.77410 ... 384!8i8192
Owen
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I’m not aware of any other cobbled A class roads other than the A684 in Hawes North Yorkshire, do we have any others it always seems unusual.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Merton Street, Oxford. I thought I remembered this being cobbled, and it stíll is.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/95F4RVZGmJBjToLp8
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
owen b

Post by owen b »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 23:53 I’m not aware of any other cobbled A class roads other than the A684 in Hawes North Yorkshire, do we have any others it always seems unusual.
The A689 in Alston is part cobbled : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.81252 ... 384!8i8192 My recollection from many years ago is that the full width of the road was cobbled on the hill.
Owen
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

On the subject of tarmac being laid on cobbles and then wearing off, Sheffield (surprise, surprise) goes one better.

Here they haven't even bothered laying tarmac over the whole width, only the bit in the middle, so there is a car-width of cobbles down each edge. Bonus points for the utility repair that's just filled in the trench with any old crap :laugh:
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Water Bag Bank in Knaresborough is cobbled, vehicles can't use it as a through route but residents do park on it. The annual Bed Race used to go down it, but in recent years has been changed to a safer descent back to river level.

Gold Hill, Shaftesbury is of course famous from that bread advert.
Let it snow.