Lay-bys with/without ‘P’ plates

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Kinitawowi

Re: Lay-by’s with/without ‘P’ plates

Post by Kinitawowi »

Alderpoint wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 08:01
doebag wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 07:11
Owain wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 20:39 I discovered this one last week. It looks like an unmarked bus stop.
I’ve seen a number of those where they allow postal vans to clear the road when emptying adjacent post boxes.
The one on the other side of the road has a shelter, so almost certainly is a bus stop. But there is no signage to suggest you can't park in either.
There's a pole collapsing into the hedge near the shelter, which itself looks extremely dilapidated, and going back in time shows some very tired road markings. All things considered, I'd have to suggest that this probably was a bus stop but isn't any more.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Kinitawowi wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:30 There's a pole collapsing into the hedge near the shelter, which itself looks extremely dilapidated, and going back in time shows some very tired road markings. All things considered, I'd have to suggest that this probably was a bus stop but isn't any more.
Is there such a thing as a ex-bus stop? How would you identify or define such a thing?

I know plenty of places where buses stop which aren't indicated as stops by any signage or markings, and lots of places which *are* marked as a bus-stop which are no longer server by any buses. And even more places which are not marked as bus stops and don't seem to be used as such :grin:

And then you get hail and ride buses is some areas which seem to stop anywhere which means everywhere is a bus stop!
Let it snow.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

It looks like a layby where buses stop, or used to stop, but not to the exclusion of other road users as there aren't any yellow markings (1025.1) evident
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Alderpoint wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 19:41 Is there such a thing as a ex-bus stop? How would you identify or define such a thing?

I know plenty of places where buses stop which aren't indicated as stops by any signage or markings, and lots of places which *are* marked as a bus-stop which are no longer server by any buses. And even more places which are not marked as bus stops and don't seem to be used as such :grin:

And then you get hail and ride buses is some areas which seem to stop anywhere which means everywhere is a bus stop!
A number of bus routes in South Cambs are no longer used except for the odd school bus. The service from Gamlingay to Cambridge was cancelled about 6 years ago. The bus stop is still there but there is now no service and no timetable.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.15182 ... 8192?hl=en
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I don’t think, in my lifetime (50 next year), there has been a scheduled public bus service to or even past this stop. I’m aware of the irony contained in the image!

Maybe there is a school bus or something? Or are the council just trying to discourage trucks or cars from parking there?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Kinitawowi

Post by Kinitawowi »

Alderpoint wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 19:41 Is there such a thing as a ex-bus stop? How would you identify or define such a thing?

I'd suggest such a definition might contain most of:
  • no scheduled buses stop there any more
  • infrastructure, such as signage, shelters or road markings, are absent or demonstrably unmaintained
  • (tougher to determine) the highways authority don't challenge you for trying to park in it :twisted:
  • some form of declaration by a relevant authority that the stop is closed.
According to Arriva's website, bus routes 17 and 17A service the road, but neither of them stops at what is apparently called Overley Cottages bus stop; and Googling "overley cottages bus stop" identifies it - unsourced and unverifiable, so take it with a hefty dollop of salt - as "permanently closed". I tried looking for a news report or such about a closure, but the only one I could find was a story about a burning coach pulling into it. The article only refers to the site as "a layby" - it'd have been nice if it called it "former bus stop" but you can't win 'em all...
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Can the admin remove that apostrophe?
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Yes please it jar's, I mean jars.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Just going to pop a friendly reminder in here.
Posting guidelines wrote:When posting, "play the ball, not the man." Discuss the actual subject, not how someone else has posted, or their spelling and grammar.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Big L wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 07:43 Just going to pop a friendly reminder in here.
Posting guidelines wrote:When posting, "play the ball, not the man." Discuss the actual subject, not how someone else has posted, or their spelling and grammar.
It has only taken 11 days for someone to notice.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

doebag wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 07:46
Big L wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 07:43 Just going to pop a friendly reminder in here.
It has only taken 11 days for someone to notice.
We noticed, we just had better things to discuss.
SteveA30

Re: Lay-bys with/without ‘P’ plates

Post by SteveA30 »

I noticed in the first second but, prefer to wait to see if anyone else comments.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/