Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M4 Cardiff

Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

Post by M4 Cardiff »

The wierdness of the youtube algorithm suggested some videos by a youtuber I had not previously heard of, Auto Shenanigans.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AutoShenanigans

He has recently been covering some road trivia, and just the stuff that keeps SABRE ticking, for example the A308(M) and the M1 'junction' between Milton Keynes and Northampton that serves as an emergency vehicle turnround.

Are you a member here Auto Shenanigans?
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Mark Hewitt

Re: Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Same here just in the past week he's all over my YouTube feed although he has seemingly been going for a fair while now.

The videos are about as SABRE as it's possible to get and high quality so everyone here is going to like his stuff.

Give his YouTube success I wouldn't imagine he'd want to be associated with us lot ;)
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 07:08Give his YouTube success I wouldn't imagine he'd want to be associated with us lot ;)
I'm pretty sure he's aware of us - the research shows every sign of coming from the wiki and from member sites, and he's, er, borrowed graphics from my site and Pathetic Motorways.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 09:09
Mark Hewitt wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 07:08Give his YouTube success I wouldn't imagine he'd want to be associated with us lot ;)
I'm pretty sure he's aware of us - the research shows every sign of coming from the wiki and from member sites, and he's, er, borrowed graphics from my site and Pathetic Motorways.
Even though he is a small YouTuber, his level of video production is pretty good and really ought to be crediting other's works when used. I did noticed that he used graphics from other sites.

His videos have popped up in my recommend over the past few weeks, they're alright but lack depth to the reasons why things are the way they are, and misses huge bits of information.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Cropped up in my youtube algorithm as well.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

solocle wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 09:46 Cropped up in my youtube algorithm as well.
It seems YouTube (automatically or otherwise) can suddenly decide to pick a winner.

Notably did the same to The Tim Traveller who went from a few hundred subscribers to a hundred thousand in the blink of an eye - and well deserved too.

Our man here has obviously seen those videos as often uses the same themes from old TV shows music beds.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

Yes, this channel also popped up in my YT feed. Great videos, really enjoyed them.
Mark Hewitt wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 07:08 Same here just in the past week he's all over my YouTube feed although he has seemingly been going for a fair while now.
The videos are about as SABRE as it's possible to get and high quality so everyone here is going to like his stuff. Give his YouTube success I wouldn't imagine he'd want to be associated with us lot ;)
I like Mark's note that;
'The videos are about a SABRE as it's possible to get'
Absolutely!
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 09:09
I recognised the A8(M) from there...! :D
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Given the way that the algorithm works, it is likely that anyone who's video watching history includes UK transport trivia will be getting this channel in their feed. If youtubers like Geoff Marshall, Jago Hazzard, Tom Scott and Tim Traveller are familiar to you, it would make sense that Auto Shenanigans has been added to the same 'pool', so this channel would pop up in your recommendations.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

I wonder how many of us that have seen this channel appear also recently subscribed to Bryn or Jen's channel?
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:09 I wonder how many of us that have seen this channel appear also recently subscribed to Bryn or Jen's channel?
Probably a lot.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

Been enjoying the videos about abandoned roads and thought about the A12 / A138 tie-in before the construction of the Chelmsford bypass in the mid 1980s. As most SABRE people know the A12 used to go through the city direct and the new bypass left a strip of abandoned southbound A12 at junction 19 (Boreham). What is now the Chelmsford A138 was the former A12. The 'Generals Lane' overbridge still has the line of this former section A12 (southbound lane) running under its arch. I guess the whole length is about 500m or so. I don't think anyone has ever visited this section as it would be hard to get to.
Attachments
Boreham Interchange A12 Junction 19. Generals Lane overbridge with about 500m of abandoned A12 southbound lane before it then continues as the A138 into the city centre. This was the route of the A12 before the construction of the Chelmsford bypass in the mid 1980s
Boreham Interchange A12 Junction 19. Generals Lane overbridge with about 500m of abandoned A12 southbound lane before it then continues as the A138 into the city centre. This was the route of the A12 before the construction of the Chelmsford bypass in the mid 1980s
jackal

Post by jackal »

Jim606 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 Been enjoying the videos about abandoned roads and thought about the A12 / A138 tie-in before the construction of the Chelmsford bypass in the mid 1980s. As most SABRE people know the A12 used to go through the city direct and the new bypass left a strip of abandoned southbound A12 at junction 19 (Boreham). What is now the Chelmsford A138 was the former A12. The 'Generals Lane' overbridge still has the line of this former section A12 (southbound lane) running under its arch. I guess the whole length is about 500m or so. I don't think anyone has ever visited this section as it would be hard to get to.
The overbridge and strip have been removed. This is what's being built:

The relevant thread: viewtopic.php?t=31432
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

To know where all the abandoned roads are in the UK someone would have to know about SABRE... to gain the knowledge.
Last edited by Jim606 on Thu Jul 21, 2022 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Watched some of his videos, like secret bits of the M1 and M11, they actually got in detail of the missing M49 Junction in Avonmouth, Bristol.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

I do think it was rather - cheeky - to use the theme from Wish You Were Here? as an outro when The Tim Traveller has been using that for a long time.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 20:44 I do think it was rather - cheeky - to use the theme from Wish You Were Here? as an outro when The Tim Traveller has been using that for a long time.
Could be pedantic an point out the tune is 'Carnival' by Gordon Gitrap. However, it is interesting that if a piece of music is used by a TV programme it often becomes that programme's music not its own, see 'Eye Level' by the Simon Park Orchestra for a similar tune or 'Jessica' by the Allman Brothers.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

I've never had this channel come up but i've subscribed and watched a couple of videos. they are well presented and decent quality. There was one posted today centred around the M40. Informative enough and short (10 minutes) which is good as any longer and i would likely get bored.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 22:30 I've never had this channel come up but i've subscribed and watched a couple of videos. they are well presented and decent quality. There was one posted today centred around the M40. Informative enough and short (10 minutes) which is good as any longer and i would likely get bored.
I thought the M40 one was poor - especially considering many of his other videos are really good. He seems totally confused by limited access junctions and I'm not sure why - especially as the Warwick ones make perfect sense.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip. Strangely I've never had it recommended, only piles of vacuous car crash montages.

His "secrets of [road]" and "all the motorway service stations" series suggest he might be inspired by Geoff Marshall was well as Jen.

His thought that he could do 1,000 miles in one daytime suggests a bit more planning might be good (1,000 miles at 70mph = 14 hours, and he's trying to conserve fuel so not doing 70mph, and he's on the M25, and he needs to drink and pee occasionally just like everyone else).
Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 09:23 He seems totally confused by limited access junctions and I'm not sure why
Ditto. Some are worth pointing out eg where there's no obvious reason or silly urban myths about armed robberies, but highlighting every one gets tedious.