Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BenMcr

Re: Auto Shenanigans Youtube Channel

Post by BenMcr »

Rillington wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 16:56 are there any other UK-based road and rail YouTubers who produce content similar to those we are always discussing, that people would recommend?
AdventureMe is quite a good varied channel and I love his old/new photo transitions https://youtube.com/c/AdventureMe

Also Paul and Rebecca Whitewick https://youtube.com/user/pwhitewick1
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 18:23
Mark Hewitt wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 17:34
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15
I've just watched this and there seemed to be no reason other than to trot out old tropes and cause gratuitous offence.
That was the impression I got. It was nothing to do with the subject of the video. It was just taking a pot shot for no good reason, someone who had previously came across well in other videos comes across as a tit.
I've also watched a couple about the M40 and the M4 where staying to the path and respecting other peoples' land apparently seemed to take a second place to "getting a good shot".
It would be interesting to know whether permission was sought for those as well as the overflying shots with a drone.
Not too bothered about that. Right to roam for all!
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

I'll just leave this here.
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone ... u-can-fly
As someone who commissions drone overflights for photography and surveying, there are a lot of regulations to satisfy to achieve a safely procured shot.
It would be interesting to know whether the average Youtuber is aware of these.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 20:01 I'll just leave this here.
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone ... u-can-fly
As someone who commissions drone overflights for photography and surveying, there are a lot of regulations to satisfy to achieve a safely procured shot.
It would be interesting to know whether the average Youtuber is aware of these.
If it’s under 250g and he has an operator ID he can fly as shown in the videos completely legally. Below 250g, a lot of which now still have 4k cameras, it’s very open now other the the op id
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 17:34
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15
Mark Hewitt wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:28 Just watched one of his videos where he had an entirely unnecessary pop at cyclists and cycling in general. Why would you do that unless you're setting out to convince people you're an arse.
Which one? Need to know the context.
This : https://youtu.be/68XqYAk942o
With respect, both motorists and cyclists need to be good at dishing it out *and* taking it. Cycling blogs do like to portray motorists as evil, after all. This was pretty light-hearted in my view, though I don't recognise the cartoon that he clearly used extracts from, can anyone help me?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

With respect, both motorists and cyclists need to be good at dishing it out *and* taking it. Cycling blogs do like to portray motorists as evil, after all. This was pretty light-hearted in my view, though I don't recognise the cartoon that he clearly used extracts from, can anyone help me?
I've heard a lot worse insults about cycling I can tell you. It's just that it was so completely out of place to have an anti-cycling rant on a video about below sea-level roads of all things.

If it was meant to be light hearted it didn't come across that way.

Video https://youtu.be/zBFFrsvgu1Y
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

BenMcr wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 19:52
Rillington wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 16:56 are there any other UK-based road and rail YouTubers who produce content similar to those we are always discussing, that people would recommend?
AdventureMe is quite a good varied channel and I love his old/new photo transitions https://youtube.com/c/AdventureMe
AdventureMe comes highly recommended. Not roads-related but his channel includes really informative histories of West Yorkshire railway lines.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

In his Holme Fen (lowest road in Britain) video, I felt he came across as a bit sarcastic about my part of the country. (Can't remember how,).
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

:shock: Imagine doing a video about the M3 and not mentioning Twyford Down.
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

I've followed his channel for a while as I was pointed to it as he is a member of a modified ford club I belong to
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 20:40 :shock: Imagine doing a video about the M3 and not mentioning Twyford Down.
I think the idea is that he explains secrets... Such as the railway viaduct there (I had no idea!) whereas the Twyford story has been done to death. I absolutely love the originality, self deprecation and sarcasm. Good on him!
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 22:49
Hdeng16 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 20:40 :shock: Imagine doing a video about the M3 and not mentioning Twyford Down.
I think the idea is that he explains secrets... Such as the railway viaduct there (I had no idea!) whereas the Twyford story has been done to death. I absolutely love the originality, self deprecation and sarcasm. Good on him!
I get it, and I think you're probably right... but outside of this forum I would say TD is a 'secret'. The viaduct does indeed look good - last time I was down there (pre-refurb) it was very difficult to access - and I did try. Great to see it back in use.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

The Youtube channel is subtitled "The Professional Car Enthusiasts Channel" and whilst he appears to have now diversified into roads, the content appears to have been historically aimed at "car" rather than "road" enthusiasts and the channel remains titled as such.
The anti-cycling sentiments might go down well with some parts of the former category but rather jar with the latter group as evidenced within this topic.
SABRE as an organisation has aims that fall within the latter category.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

That's fair Richard, but he may not use Sabre. I think that because he often misses points that are often well discussed here. Example being M3 S-bound J13 abandoned sliproad.

Since he switched from cars to racetracks / roads his subs and views have gone through the roof. Looks like he's found his sweet spot.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 14:22 ...The viaduct does indeed look good - last time I was down there (pre-refurb) it was very difficult to access - and I did try. Great to see it back in use.

The viaduct will be better known to older people who used the A33 Winchester bypass before the M3 was built there - it was quite prominent at the roadside. It seemed a fair thing to cover.

What I expected him to cover and he didn't was stuff about the old A33 route that has now been returned to nature. An interesting thing that would surely be within his remit.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 23:27
Hdeng16 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 14:22 ...The viaduct does indeed look good - last time I was down there (pre-refurb) it was very difficult to access - and I did try. Great to see it back in use.

The viaduct will be better known to older people who used the A33 Winchester bypass before the M3 was built there - it was quite prominent at the roadside. It seemed a fair thing to cover.

What I expected him to cover and he didn't was stuff about the old A33 route that has now been returned to nature. An interesting thing that would surely be within his remit.
Yep me too - the bridge over nothing near the park and ride, the ‘abandoned’ road from the old traffic lights at the south end. All seems valid for his channel.

That said, Winchester/Twyford could probably fill a video on its own
BenMcr

Post by BenMcr »

And this site gets a mention at 6:36 in their latest video https://youtu.be/BoUZ646PIQI
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Roads.org.uk and Pathetic Motorways also get credited in the video info.

He must be a member here, surely? He says he's called John (or maybe Jon). Is there a likely suspect among relatively recent joiners?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Follow the links on YouTube and you end up on his Facebook page

I did a very basic member search and didn’t find anything obvious based on his name.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

He makes some weird barbs about HS2 construction (most of the stuff you see is temporary), saying it's tearing up the countryside, while getting juiced up about motorways. Very strange indeed.

At the risk of going OT, I did pass over a brand new road I didn't know about until yesterday that, research shows, is on the route of the old link between the Great Central railway and the Great Western, to the west of Aylesbury. Digging into it, it's a "haul road", for construction traffic only, linking HS2 construction sites, and has to be returned to nature at the end of the build.