S-roads in France

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BenG

S-roads in France

Post by BenG »

While away in France I noticed roads signed with an S- prefix on some autoroute junctions.

I have searched around online but can't seem to find anything about what they are - I assume it is some sort of emergency diversion system like the shapes in the UK (due to the same colour to the diversion sign here) but they aren't signed as extensively as I would expect for this to be the case.

A couple (on an autoroute near Nancy) are here and here

I have tried to make a map of them from signs but it would be nice to know what they are (or even find an official map!)
baroudeur

Re: S-roads in France

Post by baroudeur »

BenG wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 13:58 While away in France I noticed roads signed with an S- prefix on some autoroute junctions.

I have searched around online but can't seem to find anything about what they are - I assume it is some sort of emergency diversion system like the shapes in the UK (due to the same colour to the diversion sign here) but they aren't signed as extensively as I would expect for this to be the case.

I have tried to make a map of them from signs but it would be nice to know what they are (or even find an official map!)
They are diversion signs (DÉViation). The alphanumeric S52 etc indicates a specific route to follow.

Used for long term roadworks. I spent 45 minutes chasing a signed deviation around Caen on a dark and stormy night which included getting flashed by speed camera but I never received a penalty notice - a Brexit bonus!

https://tinyurl.com/2p83ew5f page 21
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

baroudeur wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 15:47
BenG wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 13:58 While away in France I noticed roads signed with an S- prefix on some autoroute junctions.

They are diversion signs (DÉViation). The alphanumeric S52 etc indicates a specific route to follow.

Used for long term roadworks. I spent 45 minutes chasing a signed deviation around Caen on a dark and stormy night which included getting flashed by speed camera but I never received a penalty notice - a Brexit bonus!

Britain had an opt out on that, so no benefit. :D

Yup, permanent divertions if the main road is limited similar to the yellow plaques with the diamonds, circles, squares, and triangles on in the UK.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

exiled wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 16:05

I believe that the French authorities stopped providing the details of French drivers committing offences in the UK quite a long time ago, because the DVLA refused to reciprocate regarding UK drivers doing likewise in France. This was my understanding back in the days when I used to do a lot of continental driving, so it's nothing to do with Brexit.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Owain wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 18:04

I believe that the French authorities stopped providing the details of French drivers committing offences in the UK quite a long time ago, because the DVLA refused to reciprocate regarding UK drivers doing likewise in France. This was my understanding back in the days when I used to do a lot of continental driving, so it's nothing to do with Brexit.
That's why the Gendarmes will just pull you in and issue an on the spot instead!

As for the S numbers, they are major road diversion routes and not to be confused with Bis routes, which are the equivalent of our old HR network.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 18:11

That's why the Gendarmes will just pull you in and issue an on the spot instead!

As for the S numbers, they are major road diversion routes and not to be confused with Bis routes, which are the equivalent of our old HR network.
Though in the IDF it is of course the CRS who patrol the roads. The 'S' stands, according to my Michelin Code de la Route, for 'Intinérrire de substitution' and is more specifically linked to the autoroute network when the network is peturbed.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

DVLA were providing registered owner details under the Cross Border Agreement right up to Dec 2019. I have seen a French penalty notice (81 in an 80), sent by post, dated Sept 2019.

DVLA will supply registered owner details to anyone with reasonable cause so there is nothing to prevent a foreign entity doing so despite Brexit.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

baroudeur wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 16:18

DVLA were providing registered owner details under the Cross Border Agreement right up to Dec 2019. I have seen a French penalty notice (81 in an 80), sent by post, dated Sept 2019.

DVLA will supply registered owner details to anyone with reasonable cause so there is nothing to prevent a foreign entity doing so despite Brexit.
The cynic in me says that DVLA will supply registered owner details to anybody who pays for them and has reasonable cause to require them. However DVLA do not enforce them, it will be up to the authorities in Caen to chase you up.
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 17:29
baroudeur wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 16:18

The cynic in me says that DVLA will supply registered owner details to anybody who pays for them and has reasonable cause to require them. However DVLA do not enforce them, it will be up to the authorities in Caen to chase you up.
ANTAI the centre for motoring prosecutions for the whole of France is in Rennes. It seems certain that they no longer apply for UK registered owners info as I know of several who have tripped cameras but received no Avis de Contravention notice.