'Huge abnormal load' on M53

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardA35
Committee Member

Re: 'Huge abnormal load' on M53

Post by RichardA35 »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 00:47
RichardA35 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 21:38
Big L wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 Some pics here.
I wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 19:58 I would suggest that the load could however safely oversail the central reserve barrier with the columns taken down and then reinstated on the concrete barrier section.
:wink:
Some pictures show the load travelling comfortably on a two-lane sliproad, so I'd be interested to know why it was necessary to span the whole width of the M53 when it could clearly have fitted onto one carriageway. Maybe this was for reasons of stability - a broader base for the longest part of the journey - or maybe to sit in the middle of the formation to avoid a camber?
My quick thoughts
There will probably have been a special assessment made of the underbridges (unless one has been done previously for a similar load) for the diferent possible locations of the load transmitted into the deck from the trailers - that might be the constraining factor - sharing the load between the (effectively) two different bridges (one for each carriageway) may have been necessary to avoid overstress of the deck.
For stability, having the trailers and load coplanar to the carriageway on a 2.5% crossfall over 14m would involve a level difference of 350mm which (although the trailers are height adjustable to mitigate) would be replicated in the vertical dimension. Keeping the load as horizontal and stable as possible may well be one of the drivers behind using both carriageways so reducing the vertical difference - assuming balanced carriageways.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Would be a pain getting a flat tyre on that! :shock: :lol:
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

orudge wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:08 Would be a pain getting a flat tyre on that! :shock: :lol:
Having watched "Trucking Heavy" on 5Action, punctures on those multi-wheel trailers aren't uncommon and require dealing with mid-journey.
Lifelong motorhead