|A1 flag sign on Princes Street, Edinburgh|
|The Great North Road|
|Distance:||396 miles (637.3 km)|
|Meets:|| M1, M18, M25, M62|
A1(M), A14(M), A194(M)
TfL Central • TfL North • HE Area 5 • HE Area 8 • HE Area 6 • HE Area 7 • HE Area 12 • HE Area 14 • TS South East TRU
Bedfordshire • Berwickshire • Cambridgeshire • Durham • East Lothian • Hertfordshire • Huntingdonshire • Lincolnshire • Middlesex • Midlothian • Northamptonshire • Northumberland • Nottinghamshire • Rutland • Yorkshire
|Route outline (key)|
The A1 is perhaps the most significant road in the United Kingdom. Not only is it the longest, but it links the English and Scottish capitals, and is known as the Great North Road. The A1 is more than just a road, however; it is significant for having several different characteristics, from city route, to urban dual carriageway, to busy rural motorway. Indeed, the A1 is a road of many flavours.
London to Peterborough: from the heart of the capital to fields of the East Midlands
Peterborough to Scotch Corner: through the East Midlands and Yorkshire
Scotch Corner to Edinburgh: through the Borders and onwards to Edinburgh
Roader's Digest Entry
In the early days of SABRE a number of members got chatting late one night and started discussing duplicate numbers of roads. The discussion soon developed into an idea to write up all the roads in the country and, indeed, some early members got very carried away with the whole thing...
The A1(M) Bramham to Wetherby scheme was an on line upgrade of the A1 dual carriageway between junctions 44 and 46, costing £70 million. This section of the A1(M) carries 85,000 vehicles per day.
A series of bypasses where constructed through the 1960's around market towns such as Newark, Stamford and Grantham, these schemes massively reduced travel times on the Great North Road and provided vital relief for traffic choked towns.
A1 individual sections
- A1 London to Peterborough < Link page
- A1 Peterborough - Scotch Corner < Link page
- A1 Scotch Corner - Edinburgh < Link page
- A1 Early Improvements < Evolving list of pre 1980's improvements
- 1924 A1 Renumbering < Historical information
- A1 Named Junctions < Evolving list of all junctions
- A1 Roaders Digest Entry < Retention of the previous entry
- A1 1980s Proposals < Work needed on the plan to upgrade the whole length to motorway
- Birtley – Coal House
- Morpeth – Ellingham
- Road Schemes: Hemsworth A1 Link Road
- Road Schemes: Elkesley Junctions Improvement
- Road Schemes: Peterborough - Blyth