This article is about the former A896 in Wick. For the current A896 in Wester Ross, see A896.
Bank Row in Wick
The number A896 was originally used in about 1933 as a link road in Wick, having been renumbered from the B874. It is known from the 1935 edition of the 10-mile map. This incarnation was decidedly short-lived, as the road was renumbered as part of the A882 in 1935, presumably because it had been pushed out of zone by the A9 extension to John O'Groats. Curiously, therefore, it became the A8002 a couple of years later, as shown on the 1937 10-mile map. The road is now unclassified.
The road itself started on the then-A882 Cliff Road and headed east along Union Street and Bank Row to end at the harbour. Despite the A8002 later including a very short spur to the west (as seen in the map here), leading to Wick Station, the intermediate use of the A882 number for the road suggests that the A896 never extended to the east in Wick.