The B676 is a road in two halves, mostly in northern Leicestershire.
The route starts a mile and a half east of Loughborough, at the point where the eastbound A60TOTSOs left after crossing Cotes Bridge over the River Soar. Heading east, the B676 soon reaches a T-junction, at which it turns right, closely followed by another, at which it TOTSOs left. The third of a mile between these two junctions had earlier been a section of the B675 but that route was declassified soon after the opening of the Quorn bypass in 1991.
The B676 continues eastward through Burton on the Wolds before crossing the Wolds themselves to reach Six Hills, where it is intersected by the A46 at a simple GSJ. A further one and a quarter miles, passing a golf course on the left, brings us to a junction with the A6006, and here the first half of our route ends, interrupted today by a six-and-a-half mile stretch of the aforementioned A6006 which takes us into Melton Mowbray – although that classification has existed only since the 1960s; before then, the B676 continued to Melton.
Today's B676 resumes at a traffic-light controlled junction with the A606 and A607, on the eastern side of Melton. It quickly leaves town, heading east along Saxby Road. Our route follows the shallow valley of River Eye for six miles or so, passing through no settlements of any size (Saxby and Garthorpe on the B676 itself have no more than 100 or so inhabitants). At Coston the road swings to the right and a series of zigzags brings us to Buckminster, after which the route enters Lincolnshire. Stainby is the next village, and then Colsterworth, where we cross the B6403 (former A1) at the south-western corner of the village before continuing for a further half-mile to a roundabout junction with the A151 and its connections to the current route of the A1.
The B676 approaching Bourne in 1961
In 1922, the B676 extended only as far as Melton Mowbray, including the section now numbered as the A6006. It was extended east to Colsterworth in c1926, that part of the route previously being unclassified. The road to the east of Colsterworth was originally numbered as the B1175, however in 1935, the entire route was renumbered as an extension of the B676, so that road now continued east via Corby Glen to end on the A15 in Bourne. In the early 1970s the road from Colsterworth to Bourne was upgraded to Class I status and became the A151. Bourne has since been bypassed by the A151 and the easternmost section of this extension to the B676 is now part of the B1193.
Curiously, the DfT Card Index from c2002 still refers to the B676 as only covering its 1922 route, ie Loughborough to Melton Mowbray, which is a good example of just how up to date the list was.