B848 (Laggan - Dalwhinnie)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||6.6 miles (10.6 km)|
|Now part of:||A889|
|Route outline (key)|
The B848 is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Dalwhinnie - Laggan. It follows part of General Wade's military road between Fort Augustus and Dalwhinnie, the eastern end of the famous Corrieyairack Pass.
It started on the A86 to the south of Laggan and headed east alongside the River Spey for a mile or so before turning southwards. After climbing through a pass over the hills, it descended into Dalwhinnie, ending on the original route of the A9 near the railway bridge next to the distillery at the northern end of the village.
The B848 did not last long, however. By 1932 it had become the A889, which it remains to this day.