B895 (Stornoway - Portnaguran)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||10.3 miles (16.6 km)|
|Now part of:||A866|
|Route outline (key)|
In 1922, when the roads were first classified, the B895 ran across the Eye Peninsula on Lewis.
Starting at Stornoway the road headed east to cross the narrow isthmus onto the Peninsula. Here it followed a course close to the northern edge through villages such as Garrabost and Shulishader before ending at Broker, above the pier at Portnaguran.
However within a couple of years, the roads on the Isle of Lewis had been renumbered, and this route had been upgraded to become the A866, with the B895 number was recycled onto its current route. As far as can be ascertained, the route of the A866 is still identical to that of the original B895; however, the precise start/end points of the A866 and A857 in Stornoway are not certain.